Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon: Unlimited data is "just a word"

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score

Verizon: Unlimited data is "just a word"

More customers are moving to Verizon Wireless' "Share Everything" plan than the carrier anticipated, Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo said today.

Not only are more customers switching to the shared offering, Shammo said, but they're also adding more devices than Verizon had expected. And a lot of those people are customers who previously had unlimited data plans.

"We're surprised on share from many different aspects," Shammo said during a Goldman Sachs investor conference presentation in New York. "The thing that really surprises us is a lot of people are coming off unlimited to go to share."

He noted that many customers don't use as much data as they thought, and they're comfortable moving off unlimited plans once they learn how much data they use.

"Unlimited is just a word," said Shammo, whose speech was broadcast via the Web. "It doesn't really mean anything....The whole unlimited thing is going by the wayside."

Shammo did not offer any specific numbers.

Of course, unlimited plan customers don't have much choice if they want Verizon to subsidize their newest phone purchases. Verizon, the nation's biggest wireless provider, moved to a shared data plan in June and killed off unlimited data for new customers and for current ones who upgrade their phone. If current customers choose to pay full price for a new phone -- say, $649 for the cheapest version of the iPhone 5 versus $199 subsidized -- they can keep their unlimited plan.

Verizon and rival AT&T, which has launched a similar plan, like the shared offering partly because it encourages the use of multiple devices and boosts customer loyalty. But Sprint Nextel and T-Mobile have taken a different tack and have maintained their unlimited offerings. The two smaller carriers lag their bigger rivals in building next-generation wireless networks, and they're counting on unlimited data to help them attract and retain customers.

Meanwhile, Shammo said today that Verizon's LTE network gives it a strategic advantage for selling the iPhone 5, something Sprint CEO Dan Hesse also acknowledged yesterday. The latest version of Apple's device is the first to run on the high-speed network, and customers are expected to upgrade to the iPhone 5 in record numbers in part because of LTE.

Shammo declined to provide details about iPhone 5 preorder volumes. The device hits store shelves tomorrow.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...than-expected/

Just a word...$50 for 1GB, no thanks....cheaper to buy unlocked....

Here's to Google making a unlocked LTE Nexus device

Feedback Score
    "More customers are moving to Verizon Wireless' "Share Everything" plan than the carrier anticipated, Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo said today."

This statement really has no value, since we don't know how many they "anticipated" would move to the "Share Everything" plan. They may have anticipated that only 3 customers would move, so that if 4 customers actually moved, that would be more than anticipated.

Customers may not be using as much data as they thought, but they're probably using more than they thought they would two years ago. And, they'll probably be using more data two years from now than they are today.

However, nothing stays the same.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would never ditch my unlimited data....no way!
    BoDEAN
    Chicago, IL

My T-Mobile Referral Thread

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Verizon is full of it...they'll say anything to make a turd seem like it's gold. I'd pay something like 10-15 dollars MORE and be FORCED to use an unlimited plan for 1 device. If it makes them more money, like I said, their turd is now gold...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...than-expected/

Just a word...$50 for 1GB, no thanks....cheaper to buy unlocked....

Here's to Google making a unlocked LTE Nexus device
    Indirectly insulting customers and continuing with your arrogant and crappy plans - the way forward with mobile telcos.

I await the day we hear Ma Bell (She's really just split into two now - ATT and VZW) say something like "We know spectrum isn't unlimited, but we will try our best to give you a product we initially advertised because lying is wrong and actually illegal."

Haha, we can dream, right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Indirectly insulting customers and continuing with your arrogant and crappy plans - the way forward with mobile telcos.

I await the day we hear Ma Bell (She's really just split into two now - ATT and VZW) say something like "We know spectrum isn't unlimited, but we will try our best to give you a product we initially advertised because lying is wrong and actually illegal."

Haha, we can dream, right?
    Or smoke dope and chug tequila.....

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, we'll hopefully enough people will jump on shared plans so Verizon forgets about the rest of us unlimited folks. If unlimited plan users become a torn in their side at some point they WILL figure out a plan to get us off. Guaranteed.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    Yeah, we'll hopefully enough people will jump on shared plans so Verizon forgets about the rest of us unlimited folks. If unlimited plan users become a torn in their side at some point they WILL figure out a plan to get us off. Guaranteed.
    Who needs a plan. Once we're no longer contracted with verizon, they can just push the unlimited plans all to the 2GB plan, or force us all to share everything plans or something. I only hope by the time they attempt that, they have managed to make data cheaper.

Device(s)
    Droid 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon's arrogance is astonishing. If "unlimited data" is just a word, why discontinue offering it, and making it significantly more expensive for a customer to retain (no more subsidized upgrades)?

For my 5 line plan "lines under contract" is going to become "just a word" as well.

Gary

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
    Who needs a plan. Once we're no longer contracted with verizon, they can just push the unlimited plans all to the 2GB plan, or force us all to share everything plans or something. I only hope by the time they attempt that, they have managed to make data cheaper.
    Yeah, I guess my point is the ball will be in their court once we're out of contract. I don't see anything getting cheaper.

Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    If "unlimited" is just a word, why are they fussing over it so much and want to get all their customers off of it?

I await the day I lose my unlimited data or it becomes throttled like ATT so I can finally leave them for good. Unlimited data is the only reason I stick with this company. Ideally, I'd prefer to go GSM, unlocked with T-Mobile perhaps, especially in light of their new unthrottled unlimited plans.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDEAN View Post
    I would never ditch my unlimited data....no way!
    Especially as data usage keeps going up and up.

I might use only 1G today, but in two years, it might be 10G.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    If "unlimited" is just a word, why are they fussing over it so much and want to get all their customers off of it?

I await the day I lose my unlimited data or it becomes throttled like ATT so I can finally leave them for good. Unlimited data is the only reason I stick with this company. Ideally, I'd prefer to go GSM, unlocked with T-Mobile perhaps, especially in light of their new unthrottled unlimited plans.
    Hopefully on 4G they set the throttle limit to something high like 10 or 20GB, or don't throttle below the 5mbps advertised download. If they can give me speeds that fast consistently then I think I'd be happy for the forseeable future.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hold onto unlimited as long as possible

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast