Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will a prepaid phone work with a postpaid account?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Will a prepaid phone work with a postpaid account?

My wife has a simple flip phone and she wants to get a new phone. If I get the prism that is sold for the prepaid 4g plans can I just pop in her sim card that is on her post paid account?

Feedback Score
    Yes. You can do that.

Feedback Score
    Anyone have more info on this? I've chatted with customer service a couple times, and they've said it would be fine. But when I called them, they said they've been told to tell everyone that prepaid phones aren't made the same way, and there's no guarantee that it will work as well, and that you can't return it.

Feedback Score
    They may have been trained to say that, but they work fine.

I have never seen anywhere where Tmobile won't accept returns for prepaid phones. I suggest reviewing the return policies on Tmobile 's website instead of taking someone's word.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    You'd have to fully understand the technical underpinnings of GSM (or SIM-based) technology and how T-Mobile and AT&T typically and historically use it to accept how easy it is for us to say there's no problem in doing it; and also how typically and historically any salespeople will say and do anything to put forward fear, doubt, and uncertainty in response to a customer whose idea might withhold any extra money from them.

It's common practice to move a SIM card from one GSM phone to another, especially within a brand, but generally even beyond that (with certain limitations). "Prepaid phones," especially T-Mobile prepaid phones, are only termed such because those particular models may only appear marketed as such. Technically they are no different.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    They may have been trained to say that, but they work fine.

I have never seen anywhere where Tmobile won't accept returns for prepaid phones. I suggest reviewing the return policies on Tmobile 's website instead of taking someone's word.
    What he's talking about is partially correct. Some of the prepaid phones sold at the tmo store come with the prepaid kit that gives you a month service, there is no refund for the month service portion, but I believe you can still return the phone. I don't work in a store, so I can't 100% confirm that. I'm not sure if they do accept the phone back if there is a restocking fee like the postpaid phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Anyone have more info on this? I've chatted with customer service a couple times, and they've said it would be fine. But when I called them, they said they've been told to tell everyone that prepaid phones aren't made the same way, and there's no guarantee that it will work as well, and that you can't return it.
    It will work just fine, and reps should be trained not to proactively offer purchasing a prepaid phone for postpaid usage.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Say hypothetically you wanted to buy a Samsung Galaxy S II on the Value plan. Value plan generally does not subsidize phone costs so the phone will cost around $500. Why would anyone buy it for that much if Walmart is offering the same phone on the same network (albeit pre-paid) for $300?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by logic335 View Post
    Say hypothetically you wanted to buy a Samsung Galaxy S II on the Value plan. Value plan generally does not subsidize phone costs so the phone will cost around $500. Why would anyone buy it for that much if Walmart is offering the same phone on the same network (albeit pre-paid) for $300?
    Exactly. Buy the S2 through Walmart for $300 (it is actually $330 since you have to pay for the $30 prepaid card) and when you sign up for the Value Plan, say you are bringing your own device aka the Walmart-purchased S2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by logic335 View Post
    Because not everyone shops around like you apparently did.

Feedback Score
    And because T-Mobile lies to you and tells you that you can't do that. FYI, that's pretty much what I did (although I was already on the value plan, and just updgraded my old phone with a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit for just $130 ordering from T-Mobile's site). Works fine.

Does this work for phones that are designed for different carriers? My wife really likes her Blackberry, but it's at least 3 years old, so she could use a new one. Can I get one that says it only works for, say, Virgin Mobile, and still stick in a T-Mobile SIM card?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/7.0.28870/28.2647; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Virgin Mobile is Sprint CDMA. You can't put CDMA phones on a GSM network (T-Mobile, AT&T). No place for a SIM card anyway.

Feedback Score
    Hmm, thanks! Do they still make Blackerry phones with SIM cards these days?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Of course! There's hundreds of 'em available now; probably more than ever with the number of people dumping them for other operating systems. And because of that they're more affordable than ever, compared to other brands (speaking in terms of the used market). You can certainly find some good bargains in the BlackBerry realm. I generally like BBs; they're very good devices, robustly built, great phone sections, great battery life, and if you're used to the keypad style, hard to beat for text input. If your wife has, for instance, been using a Curve-level BB, you could probably score a Bold or something like that that'd be a nice step up; maybe the Bold with a touch-screen -- that'd be neat!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Hmm, thanks! Do they still make Blackerry phones with SIM cards these days?
    They still sell three models on the T-Mobile website: 9360, 9780 and 9900.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast