Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How valueable is my grandfather unlimited data plan really?

Feedback Score

How valueable is my grandfather unlimited data plan really?

So just how valuable is my grandfathered unlimited data plan? For someone who barely uses 1 GB of data each month would it be worth it to give it up to be able to get subsidizeds phones?

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You have to keep in mind that you'll likely use more data in the future as more services are going to be on the cloud.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly3630 View Post
    So just how valuable is my grandfathered unlimited data plan? For someone who barely uses 1 GB of data each month would it be worth it to give it up to be able to get subsidizeds phones?
    From what I have heard from the likes of Best Buy, Radio Shack etc the reps are analyzing customers data usage. Surprisingly most VZW customers switched to Mobile Share plans because their data usages don't 'justify' staying on unlimited plans. My friend at Best Buy says a vast majority of VZW customers have given up their unlimited data for 2 reasons; 1) to be able to buy at subsidized pricing 2) vast majority don't use that much data therefore subsidized pricing is the ticket. Plus on a family plan there's opportunity to save on monthly bill IF the family uses data to justify it. Most family plans don't 'justify' having each line unlimited data.

I'm on AT&T and we have 4 lines each grandfathered unlimited data. It's not worth it to switch to mobile share anyway because I get 28% discount on each line of data. So the total data for the family plan each having unlimited data is $86.40 with diacount. It would only be worth it if we want to tether and that hasn't been a thought as of yet.

This is what I'm told.

Feedback Score
    If I did give up my UL data I would get the 2GBs for $30. Will I get to keep my company discount on the data part of my bill.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm on an individual plan with unlimited. I plan on sticking with it. I don't want to be handcuffed with a share plan. Plus I only have 1 device

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    If I did give up my UL data I would get the 2GBs for $30. Will I get to keep my company discount on the data part of my bill.
    Nope. Employee discounts don't apply to the 30.00 data plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Check the pricing to make sure you needs and usage are fitted into the pricing model that comes along with the low data cap. For me, my bill would go up $40 per month. I'll lose the unlimited data, and get unlimited talk time.

I don't use more than 3GB of data per month with three phones. I don't use half of the 1400 minutes per month between three phones. No need whatsoever for me to focus on anything other than the pricing structure right now. Once LTE is available in my area, it might change the data usage. I'll just keep it the way it is. I'd suggest you do some number crunching and see where it all fits.

Device(s)
    VZW iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I was kind of annoyed that when I went into the VZW corporate store to buy some accessories for the iPhone 5, the rep was making a hard sell on trying to sell me a MiFi and give up my unlimited plan. You mean you want me to buy a second 4G device and increase my data costs? Nice try, but be happy that you're getting a bump from an accessory sale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4394 View Post
    Then that settles it. I will be keeping my UL data then.

Feedback Score
    I get employee discount on the $30 data for myself. My wife on the same family plan as me does not get the discount.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    The discount would apply for a 29.99 plan. If you have it with the 30.00 plan, don't expect it to last. Eventually they'll run a system audit and correct the error.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    The discount would apply for a 29.99 plan. If you have it with the 30.00 plan, don't expect it to last. Eventually they'll run a system audit and correct the error.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Ok, so I guess I'll just try to get Verizon to tell me which it is. But who knows just how many different answers I will get out of them.

Feedback Score
    Ok, so I guess I'll just try to get Verizon to tell me which it is. But who knows just how many different answers I will get out of them.
    If you currently get a discount on your unlimited data, $29.99, you will not get a discount on the 2gb for $30 tier, however you will receive the discount on the $50 tier.

Feedback Score
    We priced out our situation to see if it would be worth switching our 4 smart phones to a shared 4GB plan. We discovered we would actually be paying $48 more a month to move from unlimited to 4GB shared plan.

So basically we are stuck with our current phones until they don't work anymore or if we have the extra cash to pay full price for new ones.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Its worth what someone is willing to pay.

Have seen some sell for FREE up to $1,000.

To someone who uses 1TB a month and plans on keeping the plan for 25 years, it could be worth over $3,000,000 (@ $10 per GB overage) -- extreme case -- though there are people on this forum who use 1TB in a month.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast