Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How valueable is my grandfather unlimited data plan really?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1sdr View Post
    And quite honestly - that is exactly what it will take.

Many many millions of customers not taking subsidized upgrades and staying out of contract.

And many many customers providing that feedback on the After Call Surveys.
    As a AT&T CSR, we are getting that feedback back but the problem is that it falls on us and AT&T is not going do anything about what people are saying. I think people are figuring out there are cheaper options out there. You can use a BYOD device and pay half or more what you would pay for AT&T. If I can't lower a customers bill, I will credit them. I get a good survey and it fixes the problem...for a month or two.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    I think part of that is that the typical customer is clueless about how much data he uses. The typical customer probably does use less data than I do and currently is unable/unwilling to predict how his future data usage will increase. I think even if more customers realized the true value in unlimited data, that VZW would at best, just attempt a more customer friendly pricing plan on tiered/shared data. Sad fact is, we're just customers, HOFO & other forum users are a drop in the bucket, and we don't count if the majority of customers fall into line, like the Apple customers do prior to launch day.
    I was in a VZW corporate store that's on campus with a co worker because I wanted to check out VZW devices.

There was a couple being waited on and I over heard the conversation with the couple and the rep. The couple was making a decision on devices. The couple each had unlimited data on their existing lines.

The rep showed the couple their data usage history and said that they could save money by going on a shared data plan. I wanted to 'excuse myself' and let the couple know that unlimited data is valuable and it wouldn't be wise to let it go because you never know what the future will bring.

The couple went on a shared plan after the rep explained it to them, explained that they can get subsidized pricing etc.

About a week earlier I was in the same VZW store and was picking the managers brain. He said a vast majority of family plans are switching to data share plans and those with 1 line are keeping their unlimited data/buying full retail.

All the reps in the VZW store/s wear buttons that reference mobile share plans and most likely try to talk people into getting on data share plans.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    Yeah and I agree with you, 1TB is a lot. I feel bad if my usage ends up at 10..12GB... I usually try to keep it around 2GB on 3G lines and 4-5GB on 4G lines but this month I couldn't help it... lol

But I would be scared to use over 1GB a day (30GB in a month) and risk losing my plan in the long run.
    Do you live in a 4G area? I don't yet, but travel around 4g all the time since it is literally all around me, and can say I expect myself to use probably 10-20GB in a month once i have 4g everywhere. I don't tether, I don't torrent, or do anything illegal. I just run speedtests and watch youtube videos. I don't even stream netflix for hours on end.

The way I see it, 4g had a double data promotion and for $80 you could get 20GB of data on 4g when tiered single data was popular. So that's where I try to set my max.

So far extrapolation puts me in under 20GB, and I hope once I realize speeds are fine everywhere I'll stop running speed tests much and data usage will drop to below 10GB, but really it is very easy to run through a lot of data on 4g.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if at some point VZW will block speedtests on the grounds that they degrade the network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
    I wonder if at some point VZW will block speedtests on the grounds that they degrade the network.
    And here starts the 700 MHz block C arguments all over again. Thanks Zappy

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Guys there is something everyone needs to realize...in the not too distant future, your phone calls themselves will all be going through data, using your data allotment. This is starting to trickle in already as apps start to evolve that let you use your data connection to make the calls instead of your cell connection. Within a few short years, normal cell usage will ALL be through data.
    Verizon is not stupid. They see this is coming and when it does, you will be paying for your cell minutes by the amount of data they use rather than by the number of minutes you talk. This is why they have changed to unlimited cell minutes and taken away unlimited data. Again, they are not stupid!
    If you have a grandfathered data plan, keep it. At some point I am sure we will all be taken off of this, but for the time being, if you have a choice, don't give it up. You will regret doing so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Guys there is something everyone needs to realize...in the not too distant future, your phone calls themselves will all be going through data, using your data allotment. This is starting to trickle in already as apps start to evolve that let you use your data connection to make the calls instead of your cell connection. Within a few short years, normal cell usage will ALL be through data.
    Verizon is not stupid. They see this is coming and when it does, you will be paying for your cell minutes by the amount of data they use rather than by the number of minutes you talk. This is why they have changed to unlimited cell minutes and taken away unlimited data. Again, they are not stupid!
    If you have a grandfathered data plan, keep it. At some point I am sure we will all be taken off of this, but for the time being, if you have a choice, don't give it up. You will regret doing so.
    Very well said and all I would add is to weigh your options very carefully.

Feedback Score
    But by this time will Verizon have not forced everyone off of their unlimited data some way or another anyhow? That is what I am assuming will happen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly3630 View Post
    But by this time will Verizon have not forced everyone off of their unlimited data some way or another anyhow? That is what I am assuming will happen.
    I've been contemplating switching to VZW, 4 lines on TOL. This is why I'm being very careful in my decision. Thinking out loud here, VZW unlimited customers are data hogs for the most part and the outrageous data consumptive got to put a strain on their network. I read about these outrageous cellular data consumptions.

With AT&T I understand the 'need' for throttling however don't appreciate being throttled down to the speeds. I wouldn't mind 1-2 Mbps down.

Ok with the FCC VZW can't limit unlimited customers but that doesn't mean they can do something more to 'force' unlimited customers from unlimited data other than or in addition to buying devices at full retail such as raising prices as an example.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
    Do you live in a 4G area? I don't yet, but travel around 4g all the time since it is literally all around me, and can say I expect myself to use probably 10-20GB in a month once i have 4g everywhere. I don't tether, I don't torrent, or do anything illegal. I just run speedtests and watch youtube videos. I don't even stream netflix for hours on end.

The way I see it, 4g had a double data promotion and for $80 you could get 20GB of data on 4g when tiered single data was popular. So that's where I try to set my max.

So far extrapolation puts me in under 20GB, and I hope once I realize speeds are fine everywhere I'll stop running speed tests much and data usage will drop to below 10GB, but really it is very easy to run through a lot of data on 4g.
    Yes I am almost always covered by 4G on my 4G phones, but the data tends to drop out. I don't know if its the network or just the Thunderbolt. I am not the only one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrpSrm1_-YE
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    Yes I am almost always covered by 4G on my 4G phones, but the data tends to drop out. I don't know if its the network or just the Thunderbolt. I am not the only one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrpSrm1_-YE
    Could it be the Thunderbolt being an old device?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3