Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't look like it goes into Santa Clarita yet.
    The AT&T store (~2 blocks from I-5/Lyons where new panels went up) doesn't show LTE according to Samsung SIII field test mode at the store on Lyons/Old Road.

I'm not really surprised though, as they haven't upgraded all the local sites, and unlike places in the SF Valley, these are spread out a bit.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymission View Post
    Noticed the LTE symbol on my Nokia 900 this morning driving around Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys and NoHo
    did speed tests and was getting 2-3 mg's. Looks like they have lit up the Valley.

FINALLY!
    2-3 Mb/s..? That's a joke. I get better than that on HSPA with AT&T. Has it improved since your original post? Any improvement in latency (ping) or uploads at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve28 View Post
    I'm seeing LTE tonight in Sherman oaks! Speeds still suck beyond all belief, but I guess it's something
    "Speeds still suck beyond all belief..." That's an understatement.

I'm on the verge of canceling my AT&T account, not just because of the drag in deploying LTE, but it's a consideration. Has anyone tried LTE south of Sunset Blvd? Are the speeds there any good, or just comparable to 3/3.5G?

For perspective, my VZW phones get 10-30 Mb/s on LTE, which is pervasive throughout the San Fernando and Santa Clarita valleys (actually, it's more like 5 up past Magic Mountain), and my T-Mobile Note 2 is pulling 20 Mb/s both in San Fernando and Santa Clarita, when it's not inside a concrete building, which then becomes a dead zone for both AT&T and T-Mo.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daveaultman View Post
    For perspective, my VZW phones get 10-30 Mb/s on LTE, which is pervasive throughout the San Fernando and Santa Clarita valleys (actually, it's more like 5 up past Magic Mountain), and my T-Mobile Note 2 is pulling 20 Mb/s both in San Fernando and Santa Clarita, when it's not inside a concrete building, which then becomes a dead zone for both AT&T and T-Mo.
    When I tried AT&T's LTE in the San Fernando Valley (Northridge AT&T store and Woodland Hills AT&T store) - it sucked bad. Best I hit was 4Mbps down 3Mbps up, and most of the time it was < 500kbps, while I was hitting +6Mbps on HSPA+ in the same store on my old Samsung SII.

One thing AT&T is consistent at... poor deployments in Los Angeles area.
    Without having ALL of their sites converted (signal was weak), and a lack of spectrum (1/2 of what VZW has for 700MHz) LTE in the populated areas will be useless unless they refarm spectrum (which will take a long time). At a minimum, they'd have to have AWS spectrum deployed just to have enough useful spectrum.

HSPA+ => 40MHz today (10MHzx2 cellular + 10MHzx2 PCS)
    LTE 700 => 12MHz today (6 MHz x2 ),
    LTE unpaired downlink => 12 MHz
    AWS 1700/2100 => 10 MHz today 5MHz x 2

If AT&T thinks they're going to take ~40MHz of HSPA+ users and stuff them into 12MHz of LTE, its not going to be pretty, especially if/when its not a complete overlay.

As a sidenote - I do have decent speeds on 3/3.5G out here - 6Mbps during peak to +14Mbps. Its not LTE, but then again its usable. I won't be switching anytime soon to LTE out here.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This 'should' help LA (lets see how long it takes). They'll be giving up 10MHz of AWS spectrum + 1.9B for it.

Verizon Wireless will sell 39 lower 700 MHz B Block licenses (listed below) to AT&T in exchange for a payment of $1.9 billion, and the transfer by AT&T to Verizon Wireless of AWS (10 MHz) licenses in certain western markets, including Los Angeles, Phoenix, Fresno and Portland, Oregon.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    "Speeds still suck beyond all belief..." That's an understatement.

I'm on the verge of canceling my AT&T account, not just because of the drag in deploying LTE, but it's a consideration. Has anyone tried LTE south of Sunset Blvd? Are the speeds there any good, or just comparable to 3/3.5G?.
    This is the big reason I didn't get the AT&T version of the Apple iPad. If it's any consolation, I can always pop in an AT&T SIM card and use the HSPA+ network. But that and horribly slow LTE deployment made me stay away from the AT&T version of the iPad.

LTE on AT&T may be ok for a smartphone sized device and may consider getting the BB Z/X-10 through AT&T but you can forget about getting anything done with a tablet on AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Has there been any updates on AT&T's LTE progression here in the Los Angeles market or anywhere in SoCal?

Still on again / off again with pokey speeds in Ontario, CA. We could seriously use some more fill in sites and much needed backhaul.

HSPA+ is still faster than LTE here. The LTE speeds are much much faster in the San Diego market just to our south.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I haven't seen any LTE into Santa Clarita - although the panels/gear were hung months ago.
    Sites needed - yes. Backhaul - should be on the same as HSPA+. The big issue in SoCal is spectrum. The Los Angeles area has a limited amount of spectrum on 700MHz - 1/2 as much as that in San Diego, and in general, 1/4 as much as HSPA+.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    My speeds are getting better here in the Inland Empire. Far cry from the pokey 1-3 Mbps down speeds I was getting when they first launched. Does this mean they have allocated AWS to the mix here?

I kept getting similar speeds Saturday night while riding passenger in a car...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    LTE on AT&T may be ok for a smartphone sized device and may consider getting the BB Z/X-10 through AT&T but you can forget about getting anything done with a tablet on AT&T.
    Is it me or is LTE coverage a bit spotty in the OC?
    The map seems to cover it all, but both my Samsung Galaxy S III and Z10 seems to float a lot between HSPA+ and LTE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Is it me or is LTE coverage a bit spotty in the OC?
    The map seems to cover it all, but both my Samsung Galaxy S III and Z10 seems to float a lot between HSPA+ and LTE.
    It probably is spotty. It was like that here in the Inland Empire too especially for the first couple of months. Some parts still are especially as you go east.

Reminds me of when 3G was first launched. Every month it gets denser and denser.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They just recently finished painting the monopalm at I-5/Lyons (McDonalds parking lot), and it appears that they changed the one site at CA-14/I-5 and are in the process of changing the panels at the top of I-5 / Newhall pass (Weldon Canyon).

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine is reporting AT&T LTE service at the Valencia Town Center this weekend. 11 Mb/s down and 7 up.

I won't be up in SCV until Monday to see for myself. Hopefully they've gotten up as far as Castaic Junction where I work.

Anyone else noticed LTE North of the San Fernando Valley yet?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    A friend of mine is reporting AT&T LTE service at the Valencia Town Center this weekend. 11 Mb/s down and 7 up.

I won't be up in SCV until Monday to see for myself. Hopefully they've gotten up as far as Castaic Junction where I work.

Anyone else noticed LTE North of the San Fernando Valley yet?
    Santa Clarita has LTE on I-5 at least up to CA-126 ( haven't gone past there myself).
    and some coverage on the 'Valencia' side of Santa Clarita (i.e. nothing really into Saugus/Canyon Country, or CA-14).
    Check Sensorly.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Santa Clarita has LTE on I-5 at least up to CA-126 ( haven't gone past there myself).
    and some coverage on the 'Valencia' side of Santa Clarita (i.e. nothing really into Saugus/Canyon Country, or CA-14).
    Check Sensorly.com
    You've seen it on your phone? I'm on the I-5 and 126 every workday. I didn't *notice* LTE anywhere along the I-5 on Wednesday (last time I worked up there), but I wasn't particularly focused on looking for it yet. I figured someone else in this thread would report before I ever noticed it.

AT&T's coverage maps only show LTE up the 5 as far as halfway between the 5/14 split and Calgrove (which is about where my testing a few weeks ago showed it ending), and Santa Clarita hasn't made the "expanded coverage to" press releases yet.

Sensorly doesn't seem to differentiate between HSPA and LTE on their web maps, neither does OpenSignal for that matter, though I know the OpenSignal app on Android differentiates between the two. OpenSignal seems to have much better maps, except for Sprint coverage.

I run the OpenSignal widget on all my devices all the time; I'll be sure to keep an eye on it Monday while commuting through SCV.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast