Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: AT&T LTE Launch in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley

Device(s)
    Nokia 920, 900
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T LTE Launch in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley

How is it that the northern half of the City of Los Angeles has NO LTE??

Have asked tech support and they have no answer. Am hoping that maybe some engineering or someone higher up has an answer and can post a timetable for when this area will get LTE.

Thanks in advance!

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Attachment 85006I've been asking that for months. Where does LTE 'die' in LA for you currently (I have only a Samsung SII - no LTE)
    I guess 'the Valley' doesn't rate. I have asked around for places 'north' like Santa Clarita/Valencia and they stated October/November.
    On a note - I have seen that AT&T has replaced 'some' panels in the Valley - Balboa/I-5, Magic Mountain Parkway/I-5.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I've been asking that for months. Where does LTE 'die' in LA for you currently (I have only a Samsung SII - no LTE)
    I guess 'the Valley' doesn't rate. I have asked around for places 'north' like Santa Clarita/Valencia and they stated October/November.
    On a note - I have seen that AT&T has replaced 'some' panels in the Valley - Balboa/I-5, Magic Mountain Parkway/I-5.
    You'd think they'd want to have the Santa Clarita valley covered already, but they could be relying on their superior coverage to tide them over. Last time I was in Stevenson Ranch (upper part near the northern end of Poe Pkwy, Chaucer Pl, etc.), my VZW phone was struggling to maintain 1x, while AT&T didn't seem to have a problem at all with service.

Why bother rolling out LTE when you are the only carrier that works reliably anyway?!

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, I don't know if I'd call it 'superior' but coverage in general is pretty good in Santa Clarita, as long as you aren't at College of the Canyons (dead zone).
    Poe Parkway actually relies pretty much on the site at McDonalds (I-5/Pico Canyon) for HSPA, 'but', if you're down at the bottom of the hill - its really weak. Stevenson Ranch actually has 2 GSM mini sites - 1 on Poe Parkway, and one on Hemmingway - only problem - they're 2G only

http://maps.google.com/?ll=34.385769...43.1,,0,-13.86

http://maps.google.com/?ll=34.387177...96.09,,0,-6.78

Interesting items to note...
    AT&T is the ILEC for Santa Clarita/Simi Valley AFAIK, and those are the 2 markets in SoCal that Verizon hasn't touched with LTE. Funny how telco boundaries work.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, I don't know if I'd call it 'superior' but coverage in general is pretty good in Santa Clarita, as long as you aren't at College of the Canyons (dead zone).
    Poe Parkway actually relies pretty much on the site at McDonalds (I-5/Pico Canyon) for HSPA, 'but', if you're down at the bottom of the hill - its really weak. Stevenson Ranch actually has 2 GSM mini sites - 1 on Poe Parkway, and one on Hemmingway - only problem - they're 2G only

http://maps.google.com/?ll=34.385769...43.1,,0,-13.86

http://maps.google.com/?ll=34.387177...96.09,,0,-6.78

Interesting items to note...
    AT&T is the ILEC for Santa Clarita/Simi Valley AFAIK, and those are the 2 markets in SoCal that Verizon hasn't touched with LTE. Funny how telco boundaries work.
    Huh. I didn't notice that last time I was there---but I was hands free the whole time, so I didn't see what network my iPhone was on. Do you know why they haven't upgraded them?

I'll be back in L.A. in mid-October, and I am hoping VZW will have LTE live by then up there so I can check it out.

Device(s)
    Nokia 920, 900
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Attachment 85006I've been asking that for months. Where does LTE 'die' in LA for you currently (I have only a Samsung SII - no LTE)
    LTE dies as soon as you drive over the hill from downtown to the valley. Burbank, NoHo, Woodland Hills, Encino ect none of these areas have LTE. The problem is that the HSPA- network is so overloaded with users that the experience -- slow stuttering on the internet and even dropped calls are common occuranced. Customer care sold me on the Nokia 900 saying it had LTE and ALL of the city of LA had LTE so with not many users having LTE phones my experience would be great. Well, not when half the city (the entire San Fernando Valley) has NO LTE.

ATM I'm pretty ticked off and they won't say when we'll get LTE except that it MAY be before 2014.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how overloaded the network is in all parts of the valley, but I typically go to Burbank, Woodland Hills and North Hills/Northridge.
    I haven't had dropped calls since ~2008 - before they deployed the 2nd channel of UMTS/HSPA. As far as I can see - they have 4 channels enabled - 2 on cellular, 2 on PCS. I have hit +14Mbps in Woodland Hills at Frys and in the Northridge-Porter Ranch area, I've hit 10Mbps down and 3Mbps on the upload.

That being said - I'm typically not on US-101 or I-405 during rush hour.
    I'd take my Nokia back to AT&T and tell them that they're full of it. Their maps don't even show 'The Valley' being touched.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymission View Post
    LTE dies as soon as you drive over the hill from downtown to the valley. Burbank, NoHo, Woodland Hills, Encino ect none of these areas have LTE. The problem is that the HSPA- network is so overloaded with users that the experience -- slow stuttering on the internet and even dropped calls are common occuranced.
    I'm not sure about the rest of the Valley, but I would agree that Burbank near all those big box stores seems to give me trouble with data speeds when I'm using maps or audio streaming. My other concern is AT&T coverage on Mulholland Dr between the 405 and 101. I know real life HSPA+ coverage is pretty dicey compared to what AT&T claims on their maps so I can assume it's the same with LTE.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple iPhone Xs Max, Apple iPhone X, Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    AT&T needs to get LTE into the East San Gabriel Valley. In the cities they claim to have LTE like Monterey Park & Alhambra the LTE coverage is only in certain spots not everywhere in the city depicted on their coverage map.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nice, you can see all 3 remote radio heads for LTE in this photo.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I'm not sure about the rest of the Valley, but I would agree that Burbank near all those big box stores seems to give me trouble with data speeds when I'm using maps or audio streaming. My other concern is AT&T coverage on Mulholland Dr between the 405 and 101. I know real life HSPA+ coverage is pretty dicey compared to what AT&T claims on their maps so I can assume it's the same with LTE.
    I can't speak for the Ikea district of Burbank - I typically only go to Burbank to hit Frys.
    The Sepulveda pass is typically an overloaded area - just on volume. I can't speak for Mulholland Drive.

Feedback Score
    I asked on Twitter and got a boilerplate answer. I saw that 'Los Angeles' had LTE and assumed that included the Valley. Whoops. I'm bummed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm learning more and more that LTE isn't always a better alternative to HSPA+ especially with the weak spectrum footprint that AT&T is using in SoCal and in other cases "lack of sufficient backhaul."

Just like my experience in Irvine, I was in the city of Orange yesterday. LTE download speed performance was slow as was web browsing with time outs.

Perhaps now is as good as ever a time to utilize AWS?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, from what I can tell, AT&T is currently using 40MHz of spectrum for HSPA+ (20MHz of cellular + 20 MHz of PCS), and they have a limited amount (12MHz) of 700MHz spectrum for LTE. They actually have another 12MHz on the downlink as it is unpaired - not sure if its being used.
    I asked at the Northridge store when LTE will come around.. they told me between November and end of January 2013.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, from what I can tell, AT&T is currently using 40MHz of spectrum for HSPA+ (20MHz of cellular + 20 MHz of PCS), and they have a limited amount (12MHz) of 700MHz spectrum for LTE. They actually have another 12MHz on the downlink as it is unpaired - not sure if its being used.
    I asked at the Northridge store when LTE will come around.. they told me between November and end of January 2013.
    That wouldn't be so bad if they also light up the Santa Clarita valley then too (and the inland empire).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast