Thread: Is H2O better now, compared to how it seemed at the end of 2011?

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Is H2O better now, compared to how it seemed at the end of 2011?

Hi,

I'm thinking about porting my wife's number over to H2O and have been reading posts here. I was just going to set her up on a "Minutes Plan". While reading posts, I've read a lot of negative things about H2O, but the posts all seem to be originally dated around the end of 2011 and a lot of them seem to be related to people using the monthly plans, specifically the unlimited plans, which I would not be using.

I haven't seen any posts lately about the quality of H2O's phone service, customer service, etc. Is this because it's better now, or is this because there's no one left using H2O to make such comments? :-( What does everyone think of H2O these days, especially those using a "Minutes Plan" (if it makes a difference)?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashiki View Post

I haven't seen any posts lately about the quality of H2O's phone service, customer service, etc. Is this because it's better now, or is this because there's no one left using H2O to make such comments? :-( What does everyone think of H2O these days, especially those using a "Minutes Plan" (if it makes a difference)?
    Probably because nobody's using them here anymore.

Go into the General Prepaid forum, some members seem to like Jolt (https://www.joltmobile.com/Default.aspx) and Airvoice (http://www.airvoicewireless.com/) wireless.

Both have US based customer support.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I think a lot of Minutes Plan users dropped off when the expiration date for the $10 card shortened to 30 days. If they give you good coverage and you don't mind paying $10/month, then you may be fine. Data is a little pricey at $0.30/MB but talking and texting rates are good. There are always complaints about customer service, no matter who you go with.

Feedback Score

H20 is still a joke

And so is Red Pocket. If you're going to use H20 at all, I recommend only their $25 plan because it is not an unlimited plan so no games and their $100/one year paygo card as you don't have to deal with customer support for a year.

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice, all. I've started checking out AirVoice, as recommended, and they sound really great. The $10 plan sounds like it would be a good choice. I called AirVoice customer service last night and the lady answered in less than 1 minute. That was great, compared to the 20 to 40 minutes that H2O makes you wait. :-O

So, even though I'd be committing to $120 a year with the $10 monthly plan with AirVoice versus the $100 a year I was looking at for H2O (which is what would work for my wife), I think the customer service aspect of AirVoice would be worth it. When I shared with my wife all of the things I'd read about H2O, she was not very comfortable with me switching her number there. So I told her someone suggested AirVoice and they sounded much better, especially the customer service. She was happy about that. So I ordered a few AirVoice SIMs last night, so we'll give that a test run before porting over, but I think AirVoice might be our choice.

Thanks for the help!

Feedback Score
    I think AirVoice should be your choice. I've tried both an am sticking with AirVoice for light usage. The $10 plan is very good.

Feedback Score

Air Voice. Why?

Like you all said, good to excellent and fast customer service. My honest assessment of Air Voice is that they're $10 and $35 unlimited talk/text plans are the best of any Att mvnos. Their Customer care is the highest quality and fastest.

Their cons are : Customer care is not open 7 days a week (closed Sundays). Their customer care is heavily relied on by their company to compensate for other weaknesses (automated bill pay, website out of date, etc. ) Their higher priced plans are not as good a deal on paper as the other mvnos . But are way more stable. No $60 unlimited data becoming 2gb then 1 gb then 2gb but first 500 megs only is high speed (H20) and no $60 unlimited w/2gb getting cut to $60 unlimited talk/text w/1gb like Red Pocket.

I think the extra few bucks on the other plans make it worth the peace of mind you get with the higher quality Air Voice customer support.

I know it's prepaid but customer care has always been one of the most important parts of a carrier to me from my Tmobile postpaid days.

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    When H20 minute plan $10 card expiration changed from 90 days to 30 days I switched my son's phone to ATT Gophone 10 cents/min plan. We put on $25 every 90 days and that's still cheaper than $10/mo for us.

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Airvoice just made a policy change that is a real problem, in my opinion. For the $10 monthly plan, there is no more stacking of PINs. So if I add 2 $10 cards, the expiration date does not get pushed out 60 days, but only gets extended 30 days from the date of the last PIN added to the account. That's a real problem because it's going to require way too much involvement to make sure that I add a new PIN on the last day of the current expiration date, or adding a new PIN just before my balance runs out if I use that up before the expiration date. I'm seriously considering moving over to H2O, already (I just started with Airvoice today and found this out!), just to take advantage of the $100, pay as you go, 365 day life span, plan. As long as I don't have to contact customer service, I think that might be way less involvement.

Feedback Score
    Airvoice just made a policy change that is a real problem, in my opinion. For the $10 monthly plan, there is no more stacking of PINs. So if I add 2 $10 cards, the expiration date does not get pushed out 60 days, but only gets extended 30 days from the date of the last PIN added to the account. That's a real problem because it's going to require way too much involvement to make sure that I add a new PIN on the last day of the current expiration date, or adding a new PIN just before my balance runs out if I use that up before the expiration date. I'm seriously considering moving over to H2O, already (I just started with Airvoice today and found this out!), just to take advantage of the $100, pay as you go, 365 day life span, plan. As long as I don't have to contact customer service, I think that might be way less involvement.
    I think that if that is the case with Air Voice, your move to H20 might be the right one for you. Too bad about that. I really do like Air voice better then H20 but the $100 plan and the $25 plans are the only ones I recommend from H20. At least you're right about not dealing with CS.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I'm thinking about porting my wife's number over to H2O and have been reading posts here. I was just going to set her up on a "Minutes Plan". While reading posts, I've read a lot of negative things about H2O, but the posts all seem to be originally dated around the end of 2011 and a lot of them seem to be related to people using the monthly plans, specifically the unlimited plans, which I would not be using.

Thanks!
    My husband has been with them for 5 years now.He has made trips past chicago,to alabama,Even out in the boonies,he has cell service a lot of the high costing carriers doesn't have.He was on the 10.00 every 3 month plan,which was 14 cents a minute,now it is 10.00 a month but the minutes are only a nickle,which he never can use,but the service is great.real clear,he has his own phone,but if you want to buy a phone from them,you can still get 3 months for 30.00.May do that if his Nokia ever tears up,he loves that phone.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    AirVoice has a similar $100 year-long plan. They do have a $1 monthly service fee, but they give you a $20 bonus with the $100 level plan that kind of mitigates that.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, Air Voice charges a $1 a month maintenance fee on the $100 plan and the minute rate comes out to 8 cents a minute at best while H20 is a nickel. I think H20 wins there but ONLY because you don't have to deal with the tender mercies of their horrible customer "care" for a full year. The extra minutes are of use primarily to compensate for the loss of the minutes eaten' up by the maintence fee. In a year, you can lose 120 minutes that way.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yes, H2O definitely wins out on this one, if you anticipate maximizing potential usage.