Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sasktel LTE

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score

Sasktel LTE

Hey everyone, it sure is pretty quite here. Just ported from Rogers to Sasktel because of the piss poor coverage Rogers has in the province. So far very happy with my coverage in the province. Haven't left yet so no idea what its like outside. Anyways as the title states does anyone have any inside knowledge on the Sasktel LTE roll out. I know the official word is "fall" but we are already into fall and there doesn't seem to be much more info from Sasktel.

As a side note lets try and get the discussions going here. The Rogers section was pretty active and as such there was lots of info provided there. Talk to your Sasktel friends and lets get the section happening.

Feedback Score
    Hi

SaskTel is the only way to go within the province, since they are a crown corp, Rogers is very poor with little coverage. As far as roaming goes its not to bad so in MB you can roam onto MTS and most other provinces you will roam on Telus.
    I just read some good news last week that SaskTel eliminated roaming data so now all data is unlimited once again (well 10 Gig) across Canada.
    I have not heard any info on LTE yet. Strange they are running a little behind when they rolled out the HSPA network they where ahead of most other providers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dxintel View Post
    Hi

SaskTel is the only way to go within the province, since they are a crown corp, Rogers is very poor with little coverage. As far as roaming goes its not to bad so in MB you can roam onto MTS and most other provinces you will roam on Telus.
    I just read some good news last week that SaskTel eliminated roaming data so now all data is unlimited once again (well 10 Gig) across Canada.
    I have not heard any info on LTE yet. Strange they are running a little behind when they rolled out the HSPA network they where ahead of most other providers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums
    Sasktel/Bell/Telus all have good coverage because they share Sasktel's towers. Sasktel built the network and then gave Bell and Telus access to the towers as part of a nation wide roaming agreement between the three companies. Rogers was actually first to put HSPA in the province which was in 2007 I believe. They now are the first to put LTE in but only in Regina/Saskatoon and not much of those cities. I hope that Sasktel is able to get LTE in soon as well as fix up some of the congestion problems they are currently having in the major centers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    I would also like to know when.
    Especially since today Robbers beat them to LTE in Saskatoon and Regina.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    I have some insider knowledge that leads me to believe that its no more than 60 days away. I am thinking that they are focusing a little more on the backend of their network as it is a known issue for them. I currently live in an area of Saskatoon which has known congestion issues. When the network is clear I regularly see 6-8mbs down and 2mbs up with sub 60 ping times. When its congested its another story all together. Im going to take a shot in the dark that once you see the congestion issues beginning to be resolved you will see a stronger emphasis on LTE. If anyone has more to add to that I would greatly appreciate the tip. I am as excited to try out LTE on my SGSIII as anyone.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    After reading this maybe things are not quite as ready as I first thought

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/techno...359/story.html

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Posting the whole story here (sorry, I don't have permissions to post links yet). SaskTel hasn't even done its technical trial of LTE yet. If I recall correctly, didn't Rogers initially exclude Regina and Saskatoon when it first announced the rollout for its cross-Canada LTE service? If so, great to see how they not only reversed that decision, but are actually now rolling out the service. Nice to see actual market responsiveness, in a progressive, forward-looking way. Not used to that within the province.

Rogers touts LTE networks in cities

SaskTel also plans launch of new tech

By Will Chabun, Leader-Post October 2, 2012

Having beaten SaskTel to the marketing punch with the local release of the iPhone 5, Rogers Communications continues to press hard, unveiling its LTE (long-term evolution) network for wireless devices in Saskatoon and Regina.

Rogers says this will be the first LTE network in the province, offering wireless users the prospect of considerably higher download and upload speeds than on existing networks.

"The first thing about LTE is that it's about user experience and speed," Reade Barber, Rogers' vice-president of Mobile and Fixed Internet, said on Monday.

When watching high-definition video, for example, "it's a much more seamless experience; there's no buffering or anything like that. It's just a better experience. If you have two comparable (systems) side by side, there's better performance, even page times."

As well, LTE offers better "latency." That is, when the LTE network is accessed from a laptop or smartphone, "there's a much faster response from the network," he added.

"SaskTel is working on the deployment of LTE," spokeswoman Michelle Englot said in an email on Monday.

"We plan on having a technical trial by the end of 2012, with commercial deployment in early 2013. We don't have the details of the trial at the moment; however, we will announce when the details are finalized."

And in an interview earlier this year, SaskTel president and CEO Ron Styles explained the Crown's plans for the LTE network. "Each one of our networks were separated in the past. In the future, it's (going to be) a completely converged network. There will be only one core (network), one billing platform. All of these devices, no matter how they connect - whether it's wireline or wireless - will connect through one core (network) and one billing system," he said.

"We're going to put out LTE later this year, but the first version of LTE - it's just a new type of wireless network - it will be roughly five times faster than 4G.

"Starting late next year, you'll be able to get a phone from us that will run data on LTE and voice over 4G. So it will run on both networks. We think by about 2017 or so, everything will be running on LTE."

Barber said the upgrade process for Rogers involved accessing its towers, installing new equipment "and connecting them back to the network there."

Rogers' LTE upgrade began in Ottawa, then hit other cities including the two largest ones in Saskatchewan.

Improvements will take place elsewhere in Saskatchewan where Rogers has towers, said Barber, though he would not disclose the schedule for the remainder of the province.
    © Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    No Regina and Saskatoon were initially apart of the cross Canada LTE roll out for Rogers but I am sure that's as far as they will take it. Do not expect Rogers to dramatically expand their coverage outside of their current footprint.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    I just can't believe they beat the incumbent provider in the 2 major cities in SK, I know Rogers won't go further with LTE here, but seriously?

But I shouldn't be so surprised since they haven't even finished the HSPA roll-out because of "4G network improvements".

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Was just on the phone with Sasktel tech support and at the end of the call I asked the guy if he knew anything about the LTE roll out and he went through the internal testing memos and other internal news. He was under the impression that they are in the process of testing LTE with a late end of the year LTE roll out with a possibility of it being delayed until the beginning of the new year. He didn't know if we would have to swap our SIM cards as Rogers customers did.

Feedback Score
    Here's your insider information: Sasktel's technical trial of LTE is underway, not to public. The focus is this however... the HSPA core is being migrated to new equipment. It isn't meeting the needs of the people and is being summarily replaced. As a result, there's a hiccup in the deployment of LTE as the new HSPA core needs to come first.
    LTE site tuning is taking place, and the core is functionally ready. Testing is being done to ensure the coverage goes up correctly with as few dead spots in major centers as possible.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boblablah View Post
    Here's your insider information: Sasktel's technical trial of LTE is underway, not to public. The focus is this however... the HSPA core is being migrated to new equipment. It isn't meeting the needs of the people and is being summarily replaced. As a result, there's a hiccup in the deployment of LTE as the new HSPA core needs to come first.
    LTE site tuning is taking place, and the core is functionally ready. Testing is being done to ensure the coverage goes up correctly with as few dead spots in major centers as possible.

Glad to hear things are moving along at least. If you hear any more about timelines please keep us posted. Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by virtuatony View Post
    I just can't believe they beat the incumbent provider in the 2 major cities in SK, I know Rogers won't go further with LTE here, but seriously?

But I shouldn't be so surprised since they haven't even finished the HSPA roll-out because of "4G network improvements".
    SaskTel has "always" played "follow the leader" behind Rogers. Rogers has always beat them when it comes to providing new and updated wireless services and features.

Rogers was first with Digital, first with wireless call display, first with data, first with downloadable ring tones and games, first with text messaging, first with HSPA. Why would anyone be surprised that they are also first to provide LTE?

Of course Rogers efforts have been miniscule and ineffective at best when comparing coverage. A phone is only as good as the coverage it receives and that is why I fired Rogers a few months ago. I do miss the "name display" feature but apparently Rogers and Fido are the only networks in the world that offer it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by doggerrob View Post
    SaskTel has "always" played "follow the leader" behind Rogers. Rogers has always beat them when it comes to providing new and updated wireless services and features.

Rogers was first with Digital, first with wireless call display, first with data, first with downloadable ring tones and games, first with text messaging, first with HSPA. Why would anyone be surprised that they are also first to provide LTE?

Of course Rogers efforts have been miniscule and ineffective at best when comparing coverage. A phone is only as good as the coverage it receives and that is why I fired Rogers a few months ago. I do miss the "name display" feature but apparently Rogers and Fido are the only networks in the world that offer it.
    I just fired Rogers a few months ago too and it has been the best decision I have ever made. Yes Sasktel is "following" Rogers but I do not think is was by design. Sasktel was overwhelmed by the demand for HSPA+ services which without a doubt is their own misdoing. Once they get that sorted out I would expect a fairly aggressive roll out schedule. On that same note though their coverage is far superior to that of Rogers and I have been noticing improvements every month. Just in my local area I have watched Sasktel put up five new towers not once have I noticed Rogers put up a tower. The LTE coverage they do have is almost non-existent. Was in a local Rogers store just a few days ago and asked to see and LTE device in action, the rep told me that he had one but that the coverage didn't work in the building. Not exactly good for a brand new technology and I wouldn't expect much in terms of improvement from them either. Give Sasktel a few more months and it sounds like they should LTE up and running in Regina and Saskatoon with other cities soon to follow.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    Just came across this in the news. It is tucked deep within the article but here is some encouraging news "SaskTel plans to announce the launch of its LTE network within weeks, Englot said, which has prompted the need for some of the company's new towers. SaskTel plans to announce the launch of its LTE network within weeks, Englot said, which has prompted the need for some of the company's new towers."

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/techno...#ixzz2CIoSM8gj

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast