Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sales vs safety

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    There is no way for any salespeople to know where every dead spot is. The fault is with the companies who won't invest the money (this is true for either carrier) to cover every mile of every US road.

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Sales vs safety

In regard to the Kim Family episode. Eric and Noah stepped out of normal protocol to find them (much to their credit). They knew the area, and an incident that had occurred almost a year earlier, with a family that got lost on the same road. They contacted the Kim family relatives, to gain their phone number. This could have lost them their jobs, as there was no court order. Working at Edge Corporate at the time, the legal department had a fit. They were lucky (and smart), since it turned out well. They actually risked their jobs to find that family, and were awarded in Washington DC for doing so. I know them both personally, and commend them. It's rare that someone would risk their jobs to help save another. If it were a larger carrier I doubt it would have the se outcome. The mere hours of red tape involved could have made for a a far different outcome.

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Sales vs safety

Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I can't blame the reps for not knowing what coverage is like in some obscure part of Oregon.
    This is exactly what I am referring to. Do you research any areas outside your own metro area? Do you have the faintest idea of any rural coverage? I don't expect anyone to know all of the carriers coverage, but at least set the expectation that It will not work everywhere . Customers are too often given a "sales pitch" limited to the phone model itself. It takes research to become a wireless expert. Its much like speaking to someone in a call center in another country. They know little when it comes to where you are. It takes more than just knowing the names of places. Would you only consider a wireless "expert" being someone who only knows devices and network speeds? If so then why shouldn't they go on the internet for all of their wireless needs?
    Have you ever asked a customer WHERE they intend to use their phone? That should be the first question asked. That is how you can gauge their needs, even when it comes to your network speeds. Its not about what you want to give them, but where they are.
    Last edited by 3G Guy; 12-03-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Quote Originally Posted by 3G Guy
    This is exactly what I am referring to. Do you research any areas outside your own metro area? Do you have the faintest idea of any rural coverage? I don't expect anyone to know all of the carriers coverage, but at least set the expectation that It will not work everywhere.
    I do my research anytime I am out an about in a unfamiliar area, it could be a metro or rural area. As for rural coverage, that depends what place youre talking about. If you're talking about Nebraska or West Virginia et al then i dont have any clue what coverage because i have never been there before nor do i have a reason to, now if youre talking about the rural parts of the Northern New England area then yes, I do need to know.

Have you ever asked a customer WHERE they intend to use their phone? That should be the first question asked.
    This question will get either a canned answer or a non-answer regardless of where the customer intends to use the device. I doubt the sales rep dabbles in field test modes and writing down the information nor do they "test" the network. Thats not in thier job description.

Better yet, you say when signing up "I intend to use it here". A few years later, you end up moving to the most random place on earth and now your coverage sucks. The question the nice sales person asked before recommending their service is now irrelevant. I cant blame them for recomending their service.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Sales vs safety

I don't even have to try that hard for no service.
    All I have to do is drive on Mullholland or on some random road in Vermont.
    Haha! True it doesn't take much to find no service in VT.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.576 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote Originally Posted by DRC72
    Haha! True it doesn't take much to find no service in VT.
    This is why I installed a wireless amplifer for my car, at least I will have a better chance of picking up something, though I'm thinking about a stronger one. Unfortantely, at&t coverage maps aren't accurate so I'm left to guess that there's either no service at all or that actual coverage is significantly marginal than what's displayed on the map.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

Sales vs safety

Does the amp help a lot?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 Build/JRO03L) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Quote Originally Posted by johnhere
    Does the amp help a lot?
    The amp seems to make the biggest difference for the most part on AT&T, not so much on T-Mobile. I perfer using the cradle booster instead of the interior antenna since it will direct the radio waves away from my head. I usually see an 10-13% increase in reception and it gives me coverage in areas where the phones antenna isnt strong to hold onto a weak signal.

I'm thinking about getting the strongest one available (55dbM), but the current one seems to work for the most part.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3G Guy View Post
    They were sold misinformation by someone wanting to make a buck.
    A wireless "expert" goes far beyond the greatest phone features, but how it works in your area. If you say all phones and areas are the same, then you are not an expert. Just someone who could sell used cars on the side
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums
    I've seen good and bad from sales in every carrier. Typically, I've found that 'corporate' stores are better at giving you information that is useful vs. giving information just to close the deal.

Case in point I had Verizon Wireless (affiliate) sell me a phone in the Northridge mall (many years ago), and of course the device had issues (registered to someone else!), and the 'free - hands free kit' took +3 months to arrive... you get the idea.

I can't say that AT&T is perfect either - their 'Cingular affiliate store' in Porter Ranch (back in the Cingular / AT&T Wireless days) attempted to scam a full price sale to state that my service would be cut off when AT&T was merged with Cingular. Of course, I called his BS, and flagged his store on the web for bad service.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 Build/JRO03L) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

The amp seems to make the biggest difference for the most part on AT&T, not so much on T-Mobile. I perfer using the cradle booster instead of the interior antenna since it will direct the radio waves away from my head. I usually see an 10-13% increase in reception and it gives me coverage in areas where the phones antenna isnt strong to hold onto a weak signal.

I'm thinking about getting the strongest one available (55dbM), but the current one seems to work for the most part.
    Any links, I may get one. A quick Goog got mr here:
    [h=Wilson Electronics Sleek Cell Phone Signal Cradle Booster for All Cell Phones with Mini Magnet Mount Antenna - For Single User]1[/h]by Wilson Electronics

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Any links, I may get one. A quick Goog got mr here:
    I'm not sure what carrier you use and how much coverage you need, but I would use a wireless amplifier + cradle booster setup as opposed the cradle booster + antenna setup. The former is a bit messy since you'll have a wires snaking around for both antennas and the 6V DC power supply, but I prefer dedicated units doing their designed functions as opposed to all-in-one devices cramming all functions into one single device. I'm really not sure of the quality of the job done if the functions are crammed into one unit, however you'll have a simplified installation and setup.

YMMV.

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Sales vs safety

Amplifiers are awesome, but they come with some detractors. My area recently had an amplifier that locked up a channel or two on a tower. The local Verizon techs were left with no alternative but to block the channels they were locking up on their network. It was most likely a part time home owner that was not home, as it even wouldn't have worked for them. I also saw this anomaly when I worked for at&t. I'm not saying that these are not great devices, but from a networking side they can wreak havok. Locking up a single channel in a spaced network can effect many. It's a hard call personally, the benefit for the one user, or the benefit of others when it comes to an emergency. Reminds me of a Star Trek movie

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3G Guy View Post
    It's a hard call personally, the benefit for the one user, or the benefit of others when it comes to an emergency. Reminds me of a Star Trek movie.

Attachment 87897

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one"

Spock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2