Thread: Having a very weird issue with data and phone?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

Having a very weird issue with data and phone?

Ive been on straight talk BYOP sim with my iPhone 4S for 6 months without any issues until today I am getting data some things such as email work however when I try to access the web I get ACCESS FORBIDDEN most apps will not work such as facebook rss feeds however Youtube netflix Mog all work fine. I have another 20 days until I need to add more time so it cant be an airtime issue. My other issue is once this problem started my phone no longer says HOME as the carrier instead it says ATT as though I was using my old sim.
    What ive tried:
    1. restarted the phone several times.
    2.Removed sim put back in.
    3. Drove around to ensure wasn't a tower issue
    4.Restored phone.
    5.Changed APN tried with and without proxy.

phone is running iOS 6 have never jailbroken it never had a single issue until today did nothing different no new apps etc. The sim is a micro ATT sim the phone is locked to ATT.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    same here just that my gmail is doing that.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    I'm using iCloud for email I'm thinking they are blocking certain protocols somehow? imap seems to work fine however if it relies on http its blocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    I think it's been mentioned before maybe...it's an IP issue. Find a way to find out your IP address, and turn your data off and on until you get an IP that has a 2 as the 3rd number. Like: 10.281.61.129. If the 3rd number is a one, your data and especially mail will be funky like that.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You gave a bad example since IP address octets only go up to 254. The 255 is reserved.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn744 View Post
    I think it's been mentioned before maybe...it's an IP issue. Find a way to find out your IP address, and turn your data off and on until you get an IP that has a 2 as the 3rd number. Like: 10.281.61.129. If the 3rd number is a one, your data and especially mail will be funky like that.
    found my problem,didnt log off on the pc when i left for work and cant log on on two different places at once.lol live and you learn

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn744 View Post
    I've toggled airplane mode a few times and got different ip addresses it also shows HOME for the first maybe 5 seconds then switches to AT&T also I've been getting this error as well. This request is not understood. 400 bad request check spelling of the URL. I know they are good urls trying google yahoo etc.

Feedback Score
    My wife and I started using our iPhones with Straight Talk about a year ago when you had to order the Nokia and pull the SIM. We have also been having this problem, and today I ran across this thread. I toggled the airplane mode until getting a "2" IP address and data started working again.

Is there a way to set a static IP on 3g, or some other way to fix this? I thought getting the BYOP sim would fix it, but it sounds like other people are having the same issue with that SIM as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was getting this all the time, and all of a sudden, a couple weeks ago. A call to "Support" and about 30 minutes of script reading and BS got the problem magically fixed. Odds are you have been flagged for one reason or another. Excess data use, etc.

Feedback Score
    On my infuse I'm using 3g watchdog, when I get this I just turn off data and then turn it back on, would be nice if it didn't do that though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabster View Post
    Odds are you have been flagged for one reason or another. Excess data use, etc.
    I'm getting the same thing here. It usually shows up when I'm in NYC, but it followed me home to NJ today. Lots of toggling 3G on/off "fixes" it (and I did notice my IP is in a different subnet). Taking the APN out changed nothing.

But regarding data use, I've had ST since 7/2011 and my total data use is 60MB up/550MB down according to my phone's usage meter (and I did just watch it increment as I ran a speedtest). iPhone 3Gs. If that's excessive, well that would just be silly. I am a very profitable subscriber.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sporkman1 View Post
    I'm getting the same thing here. It usually shows up when I'm in NYC, but it followed me home to NJ today. Lots of toggling 3G on/off "fixes" it (and I did notice my IP is in a different subnet). Taking the APN out changed nothing.

But regarding data use, I've had ST since 7/2011 and my total data use is 60MB up/550MB down according to my phone's usage meter (and I did just watch it increment as I ran a speedtest). iPhone 3Gs. If that's excessive, well that would just be silly. I am a very profitable subscriber.
    Well Straight Talk doesn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason. Obviously high data use will get you but you would not be the first with 600MB of usage to be flagged. Hell, I was under 500MB some months only 250MB. It doesn't seem to matter really, and when you get flagged, you are always under the gun. Then you get to deal with calling Pakistan and enduring 30 minutes of script reading to get a decent connection again, at least for a day or two.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I think it has to do with me traveling often when I'm in my home zip code no issues I left again everything started happening again I'm also still displaying AT&T instead of home.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
    I think it has to do with me traveling often when I'm in my home zip code no issues I left again everything started happening again I'm also still displaying AT&T instead of home.
    Maybe a bad SIM card? You could try ordering a new one with a refill so you can get the SIM for free using SIMSAVE.

You could also try putting the SIM in a friend's phone, see if the issue persists.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    Maybe a bad SIM card? You could try ordering a new one with a refill so you can get the SIM for free using SIMSAVE.

You could also try putting the SIM in a friend's phone, see if the issue persists.
    I might try that though it is weird that voice and text work fine and data about 85 percent of the time.