Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Share everything experience

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    330
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Share everything experience

    For those average date users do any of you find you/your family struggling to keep under your data amount? I'm torn between buying my next phone un-subsidized to keep unlimited vs subsidized. My wife and I only use a few hundred MB each in a month on iPhone's. On 3G I might just switch plans, but with 4G coming I'm concerned my habits will change.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    127
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    So far we've had no problems in staying within our data plan. I have 4 smartphones on the share everything plan and I have the 6 GB data package with my work discount applied to it. First month we used less than 1 GB total. Last month we used 1.1 GB. We're on pace for about the same amount this month. The good thing is that all of us have wifi at home and at work so we're rarely using the cellular data. I could lower the data package, but with travelling at times during the year it's handy to have the extra data for tethering my laptop or tablet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    330
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Right now we have 2 smart phones and one basic but will be changing the basic to a smart soon. I also have a work discount and it sucks that it will be less of a discount on the share everything plan.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Over There!
    Posts
    18,854
    Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by purwater View Post
    So far we've had no problems in staying within our data plan. I have 4 smartphones on the share everything plan and I have the 6 GB data package with my work discount applied to it. First month we used less than 1 GB total. Last month we used 1.1 GB. We're on pace for about the same amount this month. The good thing is that all of us have wifi at home and at work so we're rarely using the cellular data. I could lower the data package, but with travelling at times during the year it's handy to have the extra data for tethering my laptop or tablet.
    If you are paying for 6 and use 1-1.1 each month I would go with like 2. Just keep an eye on it and if you need more bump it up. Save some $$ and give less to big red.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

    School, $5,000/semester | Work

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    430
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    We have unlimited, and would save $10 /mo switching to SE w/ 1GB. Two of us rarely go over 500 MB/mo. But I just started using Waze, which bumped up data significantly. Doubt that we would stream or video chat, but decided to hang on to unlimited until forced to make that decision when eligible for next upgrade in July 2013. We spend lots of vacation time in Western MD where, thanks to the roaming agreement with US Cellular, we get 1x data. If that is ever upgraded to 3G or 4G, we may use a lot more data reading news and weather reports, so keeping unlimited may prove worthwhile.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    2,745
    Feedback Score
    0
    My experience has been that switching to LTE, I went from about 1gb to 10+gb monthly. It truly depends upon your needs, but at least you are thinking over your potential increases in data usage when switching over to LTE capable phones. The store reps are being paid commissions on switching customers to the new price plans and are not to be trusted to give you honest advice on your individual situation. I'm not saying they will lie to you, but there is plenty of incentive for them to move you to a plan, which favors their own paycheck as opposed to your current and future interests.


    Quote Originally Posted by TWC42 View Post
    We have unlimited, and would save $10 /mo switching to SE w/ 1GB. Two of us rarely go over 500 MB/mo. But I just started using Waze, which bumped up data significantly. Doubt that we would stream or video chat, but decided to hang on to unlimited until forced to make that decision when eligible for next upgrade in July 2013. We spend lots of vacation time in Western MD where, thanks to the roaming agreement with US Cellular, we get 1x data. If that is ever upgraded to 3G or 4G, we may use a lot more data reading news and weather reports, so keeping unlimited may prove worthwhile.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What are people doing that have multiple lines for upgrade in a family plan like at least 4?

    Can you make 1 line individual account and use that line and buy full price and keep unlimited and make another account with 3 lines that have shared data?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,551
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    My experience has been that switching to LTE, I went from about 1gb to 10+gb monthly. It truly depends upon your needs, but at least you are thinking over your potential increases in data usage when switching over to LTE capable phones. The store reps are being paid commissions on switching customers to the new price plans and are not to be trusted to give you honest advice on your individual situation. I'm not saying they will lie to you, but there is plenty of incentive for them to move you to a plan, which favors their own paycheck as opposed to your current and future interests.
    It also depends on the phone, as Android in general seems to suck more data. I had a Droid Razr Maxx that seemed to go through 1.5GB in about a week, but my iPhone 5, doing the same things (downloading apps over WiFi and using stuff when i'm out) i've only went through ~800MB in 15 days.

    Same network, i'm just assuming that the iPhone's apps are more data efficient in what they transfer vs Android.

    I had noticed that on Sprint as well, as with my Android phone, i'd be using ~2-3 gb a month on 3G, but doing the same things on my iPhone 4S i only used 1.5-2gb
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,371
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Android apps tend to run in the background and pull data to keep updated while iOS apps tend to rely on push notifications. Push uses very little data and battery life vs. pull.

    - VDubb

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,179
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mpossoff View Post
    What are people doing that have multiple lines for upgrade in a family plan like at least 4?

    Can you make 1 line individual account and use that line and buy full price and keep unlimited and make another account with 3 lines that have shared data?
    You can but people still don't understand the policy correctly. You don't have to go to shared data. You just have to go to tiered data on the line upgrading.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    2,745
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mpossoff View Post
    What are people doing that have multiple lines for upgrade in a family plan like at least 4?

    Can you make 1 line individual account and use that line and buy full price and keep unlimited and make another account with 3 lines that have shared data?
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    You can but people still don't understand the policy correctly. You don't have to go to shared data. You just have to go to tiered data on the line upgrading.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding his question, but is he not asking if he cannot spin one line of a Nationwide plan into a Nationwide individual plan, keeping his unlimited data feature, while taking the remaining 3 lines on the Nationwide family/share plan and turning it into a 3 line Everything Share plan? Can the VZW billing system handle that kind of blend of plans?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,179
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding his question, but is he not asking if he cannot spin one line of a Nationwide plan into a Nationwide individual plan, keeping his unlimited data feature, while taking the remaining 3 lines on the Nationwide family/share plan and turning it into a 3 line Everything Share plan? Can the VZW billing system handle that kind of blend of plans?
    Totally possible just not exactly sure with the rules on keeping plans if they would let him go to a nationwide single line. Being an existing customer with a form of Nationwide already then possibly. I just wanted him to understand Share Everything isn't required with an upgrade.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,282
    Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Data usage varies wildly from person to person. Right now, 90+% of the smart phone population can fit in the current metered structure. However, I will say that data transfer across the internet is growing exponentially, back haul transit of data is getting cheaper, and the cellular networks are getting faster. Yet, metered data seems to have an 5GB constant arbitrarily set by Verizon and Sprint in the early 2000s. Imaging trying to survive on the $50 1GB allotment just 5 years from now... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_traffic

    To give you an "extreme" point of reference: Verizon lets me consume 30 to 100+GB every billing cycle on an unlimited EVDO USB modem, yet they don't bill $100+ of overage like the modern fee schedule would generate. This has been going on for over a year. It's my primary internet connection. What's more, they are always calling trying to push an upgrade to an unlimited 4G USB modem on me. It appears they want my business . It's an antidote showing that wireless carriers are still profitable delivering data allotments 10 times larger than they offer today. I don't have to worry about bill shock either; that's worth a lot to me.

    In short, I'd recommend keeping the unlimited data. If price is a concern, get a used 2010 era smart phone off ebay. They are fully depreciated and not as risky as buying a used car .

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding his question, but is he not asking if he cannot spin one line of a Nationwide plan into a Nationwide individual plan, keeping his unlimited data feature, while taking the remaining 3 lines on the Nationwide family/share plan and turning it into a 3 line Everything Share plan? Can the VZW billing system handle that kind of blend of plans?
    I'm trying to guide a co-worker.

    He currently has a 4 line family plan each line having unlimited data. He wants to retain his unlimited on his line and have share everything on the other 3 lines.

    So the question is...

    How can he retain unlimited data one 1 line and have a share everything on other 3 lines?

    Or better yet since he would prefer to keep unlimited on all lines are there any loopholes where he can upgrade at subsidized and retain unlimited data on all the lines? I've read about the dumb phone loophole but I'm not sure it would work with 4 lines.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,498
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Upgrading all the phones while keeping unlimited isn't possible, unless he uses the alternate upgrade on the feature phone line, which means it would take him 40 months to do so (upgrade now, wait 20 months and upgrade a second time, then wait 20 months and upgrade a third time).

    If he wants to have 3 lines on share everything and 1 line with unlimited data, then he would need to split off that one line into a separate individual line outside of the family share.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. E71x Housings, share your experience
    By PitchBend in forum Samsung
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 03:45 AM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 11:47 AM
  3. WLNP--Start Today, Please Share your Experiences!!
    By psycho- in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 12:07 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 08:12 PM
  5. About the V60t - Share Everything Here!
    By Extraordinary in forum Motorola
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-16-2002, 05:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks