Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Received boost violation txt message

Feedback Score

Received boost violation txt message

Received the http://msg4u.us/apde in my txt message from Boost Mobile.

This phone is using the WiFi tethering app with 4GB. Yes, I consume a lot of DATA, and I'm not able to confirm with Boost if the message pertains to the amount of data being tethered, or that I'm violating the terms by using a rooted device with WiFi tether.

And good luck getting anybody on the line. Seems their customer service is completely automated.

--tj

Device(s)
    Verizon iPhone 5S 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (R.I.P. AIO)
    Feedback Score
    That sucks, seems like Boost is taking a page out of Straight Talk's book. I thought Boost was supposed to throttle after 2.5GB, so why do they care how you use their super-slow data? It would be nice if the FCC did what they did to Verizon and forced the rest of the carriers to stop being jerks when it comes to tethering, but that condition piggy backed on some spectrum Verizon bought (so it doesn't apply to anyone else).

Unfortunately, this is a problem the lawmakers have to solve. As long as wireless companies are only motivated by profit, they'll never do what is right out of the goodness of their hearts. Verizon has been forced to unlock all LTE handsets (the iPhone 5 ships unlocked, I've personally seen it) and is not allowed to block hotspot applications. Guess what, the sky didn't fall. If Boost wants to offer 2.5 GB of pre-throttled, unlimited throttled Internet, it should make no difference whether you watch a few Netflix shows on your laptop or download your whole Amazon cloud drive to the SD card of your phone (just because you can).

As a matter of principle, I'd personally never pay a BS tethering fee. I'd set up a throwaway account on PAYGO or T-Mo's el-cheapo Walmart exclusive 5GB plan for my tethering needs before I'd ever pay for something as absurd as enabling hotspot capabilities.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post

As a matter of principle, I'd personally never pay a BS tethering fee. I'd set up a throwaway account on PAYGO or T-Mo's el-cheapo Walmart exclusive 5GB plan for my tethering needs before I'd ever pay for something as absurd as enabling hotspot capabilities.

Heard wifi-tether is my problem and to use foxfi, but cannot get foxfi to work on my Evo Design, so anybody have any suggestions?

--tj

Feedback Score
    Since tethering is f'd-up on any HTC phones with FoxFI, was thinking about going out buying a G2 for Boost, and using FoxFI on that and continuing my normal pattern of usage.

I'm worried if Boost decides to boot me the phone's ESN will also become useless? I'm allowed to port my number for 30-days, so not worried about losing my number.

--tj

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techjohnny View Post
    Heard wifi-tether is my problem and to use foxfi, but cannot get foxfi to work on my Evo Design, so anybody have any suggestions?

--tj
    Pay the 10.00 to enable tethering?

Device(s)
    Verizon iPhone 5S 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (R.I.P. AIO)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techjohnny View Post
    I'm worried if Boost decides to boot me the phone's ESN will also become useless? I'm allowed to port my number for 30-days, so not worried about losing my number.
    Straight Talk supposedly bans ESNs, but I'm not sure if Boost would go that far. It's more likely getting booted would just be an inconvenience and you'd lose Shrinkage. More than likely, you could just port out within that 30 day window, then reactivate your phone on Boost and port right back in. For the longest time, it seemed like Boost was actually pretty clueful when it came to realizing you can't really boot people from prepaid service. Nothing lasts forever.

It would be nice if someone inside Sprint would spill the beans on how they're detecting tethering. Armchair gurus are quick to scream "It's the browser user agent string!", but I absolutely loathe mobile sites and have been running my personal phone with a desktop browser user agent since the beginning of time and guess what... no tethering warning for me (I very rarely tether).

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk supposedly bans ESNs, but I'm not sure if Boost would go that far. It's more likely getting booted would just be an inconvenience and you'd lose Shrinkage. More than likely, you could just port out within that 30 day window, then reactivate your phone on Boost and port right back in. For the longest time, it seemed like Boost was actually pretty clueful when it came to realizing you can't really boot people from prepaid service. Nothing lasts forever.

It would be nice if someone inside Sprint would spill the beans on how they're detecting tethering. Armchair gurus are quick to scream "It's the browser user agent string!", but I absolutely loathe mobile sites and have been running my personal phone with a desktop browser user agent since the beginning of time and guess what... no tethering warning for me (I very rarely tether).
    What is the specific user agent string that "desktop mode" sends out?

Device(s)
    Verizon iPhone 5S 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (R.I.P. AIO)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    What is the specific user agent string that "desktop mode" sends out?
    Dunno about other phones, but mine's:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101019 Firefox/3.6.11

Feedback Score
    There are certain ports mobile devices never use and IP addresses they have no reason to connect to. If you are connecting to 65.55.200.221 (which is home of Windows Update) you're busted. Same goes for activation.adobe.com that adobe applications call home to. If you have traffic on Port 3724 you're probably playing Warcraft.

If you want to tether incognito you need to use an SSL VPN over port 443.

Virgin Mobile India Graphic

Device(s)
    ZTE ZMax Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    There are certain ports mobile devices never use and IP addresses they have no reason to connect to. If you are connecting to 65.55.200.221 (which is home of Windows Update) you're busted. Same goes for activation.adobe.com that adobe applications call home to. If you have traffic on Port 3724 you're probably playing Warcraft.

Thats it right there...It's the ports that the computers use that phones don't. I don't work for Sprint, but I do work for an ISP and I can't tell you the number of times that things can be figured out just by ports that aren't normally used. We have our meteres that we use the check the cable signal when we are checking for problems or doing installs that have to sync the data that is found when we run the test at every job to locate issues before they become issues to the customers....The meters use a port that is never used by any computer so most of the time when we try to sync through a router, it won't work....That port is so rarely used, by default, the firewall in the router has that port disabled. Point being, you don't realize what your computer is doing that is different then your phone, but there are ports your computer would use, that your phone would never have a reason to touch so they don't have to monitor a whole lot, they just need to see what devices are using what ports and they got ya.

Device(s)
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    T
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the default port that the Mobile SSL VPN software uses?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_adams View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the default port that the Mobile SSL VPN software uses?
    Not necessarily, OpenVPN uses port 1194 by default.

Feedback Score
    so do you think someone that tethers a laptop who uses less than 1 GB per month will get the boot also, or is it just a power user that tethers and uses 4 gB per month?

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    so do you think someone that tethers a laptop who uses less than 1 GB per month will get the boot also, or is it just a power user that tethers and uses 4 gB per month?
    Probably just users that are using large amounts of data IMHO.

I've tethered intermittently when I had no other choice and never gotten anything from Boost about it.

Feedback Score
    I have used 50-80 GB per month for years. I gots no messages.
    Putting the phone you want on the service you pay for is not a crime. No one has ever been convicted of it!
    No one has ever been convicted of talking about it either!

If you think I helped, please Click the star below. Unfortunately there is no "you're an idiot" button yet, but you can PM me!
    | | |
    VVV

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast