Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Japan's SoftBank in talks for $12.8 billion Sprint stake

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Junkie View Post
    Premium network? High quality and excellent performance? Hah. Not sure what the hell AT&T your mistaking. But it's not AT&T Mobility 2012 that's for sure.
    I'm not gonna say they're in the same ballpark as Verizon which is far beyond everyone, but RootMetrics pretty much has AT&T as second place in most places they do testing. It's too bad Root doesn't test for voice quality. Here in STL, AT&T has pretty much deep sixed HR. It's pretty much all EFR. The voice quality on AT&T here is glorious. Having LTE helps.

Sprint has potential when Network Vision is done but they still have a long road ahead. I kind of wish they were going to HSPA and LTE as a tandem across the country and diminishing CDMA2000 to primarily voice communications and prepaid. That probably won't happen even though network equipment supports it in Network Vision. Still, it would really make the US a much more open country as far as networks to have AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile be able to all use HSPA+ networks on PCS with the proper SIM cards.

Plus, it would make S4GRU explode in holy anger. Wow there are some CDMA fanboys over there. I didn't say Sprint fanboys, I said CDMA fanboys. Apparently they still exist, though it's clear to me the market is moving toward 3GPP open standards and away from Qualcomm.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So, what happened to Sprint's HD voice service?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    So, what happened to Sprint's HD voice service?
    It's being implemented as we speak as part of their NV buildout and also in selected handsets (not iPhone 5), but in order to realize the full benefits you need both handsets to use HD voice.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan555a View Post
    They will be profitable within the next year and then I expected their stock to take off.
    Yeah, same here. Sprint does not really need to make this deal. If they are patient, and their stock takes off, they can then absorb the combined T-Mobile/Metro and then Clearwire. They can definitely absorb Leap right now.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    It's being implemented as we speak as part of their NV buildout and also in selected handsets (not iPhone 5), but in order to realize the full benefits you need both handsets to use HD voice.
    I don't think any Samsungs are supported, but maybe the new Nexus.

We don't need no stinking NV buildout, B-More is where it need to be! J/K

Carrier(s)
    Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Considering sprint lost about 50 bill in the past 7 years from acquiring Nextel, I see this as a great turning point. It will cost Sprint a good chunk to turn them iDEN radio waves into LTE (800Mhz/900Mhz). This cash injection will allow them to continue to offer unlimited data on good rate plans. I think the time is coming where Sprint consolidates its "Pre-Paid" options under 1 brand. Assurian Wireless, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, need to turn into "Sprint Prepaid".

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    And to many people it doesn't matter at all. How could Metro, Cricket, Boost, VM and all the little guys survive? I can totally see your point with some businesses but the vast majority would do just fine with Sprint.

To think that Sprint needs to match the footprint of the big 2 who have been around since the analog days (and are also an accumulation of many different carriers) is simply unrealistic. They don't but they do need to match the quality of service where they offer it.

Remember the "More Bars in More Places" campaign by AT&T or the "Can You Hear Me Now" one by Verizon? I give them credit, they did a great job making people think they need coverage in places they will never go in their entire life.

I travel, and I travel a lot and the only time Sprint didn't have service for me was in a little one horse town in Little Switzerland NC. But, I did roam on a local carrier.

Network Vision has just gotten started and I think it's going to be quite some time before the benefits are seen as the norm rather than an instance. There are reports from users on s4gru of greatly increased 3G data speeds and significant coverage improvements as well as better building penetration. That is just on the 1900mhz side of it as 800 won't really start happening till they turn the lights out on IDEN.

They are not neglecting any city but just imagine the huge undertaking that it is. Every tower, every base station being replaced, backhaul to every site, etc. I can't imagine the logistics or manpower involved.

I live in an area that is within a 300 mile radius of where 2/3 of the US population lives and that's not the west coast but the east. I want LTE too,,,,I guess,,,or at least the marketing is telling me that I do.
    I understand rolling out a network is an immense undertaking and Sprint covers a majority of the country's population. I live in Arizona, travel mostly here and the adjacent states and when I had Sprint, I roamed more than I didn't on my travels. (Usually in an old Alltel area so it was solid). This is part of the reason I jumped ship from Sprint.

VZW announces it seems like 25 new cities or coverage areas every month or so. Sprint hardly has this many cities covered after turning on LTE at the start of Summer. I'm very well aware VZW is above and beyond Sprint regarding their money and resources, but until Sprint can match this level, they won't be the 3rd contender.

In my heart of hearts, I really do root for Sprint. A non- Ma Bell company, trying to get itself back in the game, offering decent stuff, etc. They just keep tripping and floundering.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Have you been able to figure out which phones it's going to be hard for Sprint to get yet?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Thrill me...

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
    Have you been able to figure out which phones it's going to be hard for Sprint to get yet?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Now, you have to know that no one will understand your question, this is a saturday night fight forum after all!

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Now, you have to know that no one will understand your question, this is a saturday night fight forum after all!
    Indeed!

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I looked some of their plans and unless service in Japan is super expensive they don't seem to be a value player.

Unlimited 4G LTE data and messaging is 5460 yen or $ 69.67 USD a month. That's without voice minutes.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    I kind of wish they were going to HSPA and LTE as a tandem across the country and diminishing CDMA2000 to primarily voice communications and prepaid. That probably won't happen even though network equipment supports it in Network Vision. [/B]
    I'm honestly surprised that Verizon didn't do this back when the Canadian CDMA providers did--it went fairly painless for them, and Vodafone has always been wanting them to move towards a GSM standard, whereas Qualcomm was much more in bed with Sprint since the very beginning (aside from Sprint Spectrum). Honestly Verizon has done quite well going whole-hog into LTE---the Canadian providers are just starting.

Sprint should have at least launched Rev. B if they didn't want to go the HSDPA rout--it would have provided a faster 3G network, while buying them more time to launch their "real" 4G network--at this point it's "do or die" since their 3G is so piss poor that LTE is the only thing that can save it.

I *still* can't believe that someone didn't take a handheld WiMax cell phone out into the wild before marketing their WiMax-based 4G service and go "oh crap! Do you realize we need a tower every 8 blocks for reasonable coverage if people aren't going to ***** about this?" and either build a ton of Clear sites or drop the idea and start Rev B. or HSDPA or some sort of WiMax on 1900... or anything other than the crap they did....

--Nat

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    I looked some of their plans and unless service in Japan is super expensive they don't seem to be a value player.

Unlimited 4G LTE data and messaging is 5460 yen or $ 69.67 USD a month. That's without voice minutes.
    That's also a 100 meg LTE network... how much spectrum do they have there?

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally Posted by billm261

That's also a 100 meg LTE network... how much spectrum do they have there?
    That would be $169.67 on Verizon or AT&T!
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep-Six View Post
    Considering sprint lost about 50 bill in the past 7 years from acquiring Nextel
    not sure where you get a number like that... the merger was valued at about $35B but was a "merger of equals", so Sprint itself didn't actually pay ANYTHING. Things went south, so Hesse did a write down of about $30B, which seems over generous since Sprint/Nextel didn't lose the spectrum assets, nor the towers, nor all of Nextel customers at that point. Even so and at face value, it still represents only a "destruction of corporate value", not a loss of cash, and nearly all on the Nextel side, not the Sprint side. So I don't know where this Sprint loss of $50B comes from...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast