Thread: Considering switching to ST from Verizon, is it worth it?

Feedback Score

Considering switching to ST from Verizon, is it worth it?

Long story short, I am one of the people who have a unlimited data plan who will not be able to keep and get an upgrade. As right now I see it as having two options. First option is to just buy a phone on eBay and just use it on Verizon until they outright take my unlimited data plan away. The second option is also buying an either a TMo or AT&T phone off eBay and use it on ST; also the monthly charge is about the same since I am a Verizon family plan. I am alright with the cost of buying a phone this way because it will be about the same either way. However, I know of the two draw backs are no LTE (however that really does not matter because AT&T does not offer LTE in my area yet) and no Visual Voicemail. I have a few questions for all of you for research purposes? First, if I buy a AT&T or TMo phone with I be able to use either AT&T or TMo towers or will I just stuck to that carriers towers? Secondly, is there anything else I should know? Lastly, in your mind, is it worth it?

Feedback Score
    If you want to bring your own device, you have the option of picking either an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM. The SIM will fit in that phone like a regular SIM; no unlocking required.

If Verizon works well for you, you can actually get a phone called the Samsung Proclaim. It uses the Verizon network.

Lastly, StraightTalk advertises unlimited but it's not really unlimited. You might be warning calls or throttled if you use too much data in a single billing cycle.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjb122982 View Post
    Long story short, I am one of the people who have a unlimited data plan who will not be able to keep and get an upgrade. As right now I see it as having two options. First option is to just buy a phone on eBay and just use it on Verizon until they outright take my unlimited data plan away. The second option is also buying an either a TMo or AT&T phone off eBay and use it on ST; also the monthly charge is about the same since I am a Verizon family plan. I am alright with the cost of buying a phone this way because it will be about the same either way. However, I know of the two draw backs are no LTE (however that really does not matter because AT&T does not offer LTE in my area yet) and no Visual Voicemail. I have a few questions for all of you for research purposes? First, if I buy a AT&T or TMo phone with I be able to use either AT&T or TMo towers or will I just stuck to that carriers towers? Secondly, is there anything else I should know? Lastly, in your mind, is it worth it?
    If you're only leaving Verizon because you're losing unlimited data, and you're used to using lots of data, then ST probably isn't a good fit for you, since as the above poster said, it's not really unlimited. If you use over 100MB a day or 2GB a month using the AT&T side of ST, then you will be on shaky ground. And if you are OK with that limit, you may be better off just relinquishing that unlimited plan and going to the shared plan and getting the subsidy from Verizon. You will get more data without hassles on the tmobile side of ST, but that only helps you if tmobile has good coverage in the areas you frequent, and on whether you do a lot of traveling since their network isn't nearly as extensive. As far as roaming, if you are on tmobile side of ST for example, and you are in a place with zero signal from tmobile, you will roam onto AT&T and some regional carriers for voice and text, but you may or may not have data, and if you do it will likely be slow edge data. But if there is any signal, even crappy signal, then u will not roam. And the roaming does occur in most areas, but not EVERY area that Postpaid roams. And is it worth it? To me, very worth it. I'm on wifi at home and work, and I end up using under 1GB of cell data each month, so I'm their main demographic that they're looking for. I have cell data when I need it, and it works great, but I use WAY more wifi than cell data. So for me, very worth it. If you're clinging to your unlimited data plan because you use lots of it, it won't be worth it for you. And check your usage - most people use less than they think they do, so you may be comfortable with the share plan and get your subsidy and keep the service you've been used to. If you're saying that it's a wash for you, and will cost the same amount, I'd probably stay with Verizon. But I save a lot every month by having my wife and I on separate prepay plans. Once my kids get old enough to where we have 4 phones in the house, it may no longer be worth it, and I may go back to a family plan on postpaid, though I hate that thought. We will see. By the time that arrives, the market will have had at least one, maybe two major shakeups in the cell market - LOL.