Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of Unlimited Data

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

The future of Unlimited Data

The future of Unlimited data is very bleak, even for those paying full retail pricing.

As it stands, sooner or later Verizon will lock you into the phone you have. Switch ESN's for any reason, and you are forced off the Unlimited Data. I asked my rep what they thought would ultimately happen to Unlimited Data. He stated the same thing without him knowing thats exactly what I was thinking. That sooner or later you go to switch ESNs and you'll be forced off it.

How soon is the big question. I suspect it will start happening sooner than we think. I suspect in the next 2 years or so. Possibly sooner. I think it will start around the launch of VOLTE phones.

Whatever the case or time of speculation....there is zero denying that one way or another people will be pushed off Unlimited Data any way possible sooner rather than later. And the best way possible is to prevent switching of ESNs without also being forced off Unlimited Data in doing so.

Verizon has went from consumer minded to money minded. As such, they will do whatever they can to maximize profit. Even if it means losing a few people stuck on Unlimited Data.

And after looking at their recent numbers and recent actions...no doubt nothings stopping them and no amount of whining will change things.

As it stands, as long as their numbers remain high, Verizon will keep doing what its doing regardless of what you want.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Nobody expects unlimited data to last forever, okay bub?

Device(s)
    HTC Incredible 2
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel plan on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kreepykeith View Post
    If I remember correctly, I received a letter from Verizon stating that I could keep my Alltel unlimited plan as long as I wanted. Hopefully I saved that letter.

Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    My guess is that in the future when LTE-Advanced phones come out, branded as "5G" devices, they will be incompatible with our unlimited data feature code in their billing system (ACSS). So we'll have to stick with our 4G devices or move to their current plans to get a 5G device.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kreepykeith View Post
    Actually there are those that do for various reasons.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Aren't we all using SIM cards in our 4G devices now? I'd imagine as long as you have unlimited 4g smartphone data, and a LTE SIM card, you should be good for a long time.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think the exact opposite will happen, I think they will bring back an unlimited plan with throttling or they will lower the data costs to reasonable tiered rates.... In a few years if the development plans are followed by Sprint and T-Mobile they will be real competition and keep ATT and Verizon Honest. Who knows maybe by 2014 "Sprint Mobile" will be a real threat!

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoMan.EXE View Post
    Aren't we all using SIM cards in our 4G devices now? I'd imagine as long as you have unlimited 4g smartphone data, and a LTE SIM card, you should be good for a long time.
    This link supports your surmise:
    http://www.phonenews.com/verizon-aff...lte-ipad-20053

Cutting to the chase:

After several communications with Verizon’s press team, they did give us a truly straight-up answer… and here it is:

"The SIM holds the detail of your data plan. If you move it to another device, you will be charged for the service you use. If you have an unlimited SIM and it fits another device, you can use it and you will pay for the service plan associated with the SIM."

Even we were surprised by the clarity of Verizon’s confirmation. This means Verizon is well aware that they cannot touch your grandfathered smartphone data plan, just because you chose to move it to a LTE MiFi or LTE iPad (which also acts as a portable hotspot).
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsocko View Post
    I think the exact opposite will happen, I think they will bring back an unlimited plan with throttling or they will lower the data costs to reasonable tiered rates.... In a few years if the development plans are followed by Sprint and T-Mobile they will be real competition and keep ATT and Verizon Honest. Who knows maybe by 2014 "Sprint Mobile" will be a real threat!
    Agreed. As it stands now, using an LTE device to freely stream video in the ways that vzw ads suggest is simply not economically practical without an unlimited data plan.

I suspect LTE Advanced will be deployed on AWS spectrum to sidestep the FCC 700 C regs. LTE congestion will then make unlimited data there a moot issue, much as 3g is bogged down now in many areas.

But, unless the Feds do an about face (which is starting to look like a more realistic possibility) it seems unlikely that LTE sim swapping could kill UL plans or be blocked -- on the 700 C-band.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    The future of Unlimited data is very bleak, even for those paying full retail pricing.

As it stands, sooner or later Verizon will lock you into the phone you have. Switch ESN's for any reason, and you are forced off the Unlimited Data. I asked my rep what they thought would ultimately happen to Unlimited Data. He stated the same thing without him knowing thats exactly what I was thinking. That sooner or later you go to switch ESNs and you'll be forced off it.

How soon is the big question. I suspect it will start happening sooner than we think. I suspect in the next 2 years or so. Possibly sooner. I think it will start around the launch of VOLTE phones.

Whatever the case or time of speculation....there is zero denying that one way or another people will be pushed off Unlimited Data any way possible sooner rather than later. And the best way possible is to prevent switching of ESNs without also being forced off Unlimited Data in doing so.

Verizon has went from consumer minded to money minded. As such, they will do whatever they can to maximize profit. Even if it means losing a few people stuck on Unlimited Data.

And after looking at their recent numbers and recent actions...no doubt nothings stopping them and no amount of whining will change things.

As it stands, as long as their numbers remain high, Verizon will keep doing what its doing regardless of what you want.
    I would think that VZW is more likely to try it's hardest to get people off unlimited plans because of the outrageous usages I see. AT&T will throttle you but being throttled on AT&T LTE isn't bad at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsocko View Post
    The problem is VZW can't throttle because of the FCC ruling. I was pissed when I got throttled by AT&T recently however it's not bad at all I don't notice a difference. It's because I'm throttled on an LTE device and my pings are still LTE pings, so still very zippy.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Honestly I would be happy with a throttled plan rather than one with overages that you have to pay. I was throttled on Tmobile once and it honestly wasn't that bad.

Posted from my Droid Razr Maxx.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    For the thread topic -- unlimited LTE data plans -- neither throttling nor overages are a concern. UL means no overages, by definition. And throttling on vzw's currently deployed LTE spectrum is prohibited by US government fiat.

The "future" is about how vzw will try to pry my cold dead fingers from around my UL plan -- cuz that's the only way I'm giving it up.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Really ? And where was this announced by Verizon ? That is nothing more than your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    ..there is zero denying that one way or another people will be pushed off Unlimited Data any way possible sooner rather than later. .

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Agreed. As it stands now, using an LTE device to freely stream video in the ways that vzw ads suggest is simply not economically practical without an unlimited data plan.

I suspect LTE Advanced will be deployed on AWS spectrum to sidestep the FCC 700 C regs. LTE congestion will then make unlimited data there a moot issue, much as 3g is bogged down now in many areas.

But, unless the Feds do an about face (which is starting to look like a more realistic possibility) it seems unlikely that LTE sim swapping could kill UL plans or be blocked -- on the 700 C-band.
    I agree. When Unlimited users are off-contract and AWS comes online, eventually they will take unlimited away. They are within their right to do so if one is off-contract anyways. I barely stream, and with my work as an engineer, I do use at least 3-4GB a month on LTE with my S3. I roughly pay $75 a month after taxes and my work discount. Going to any tiered plan shoots that up close to $100. I do not want to pay more than $80-85 a month for a smartphone. It just isn't worth more than that to me. I would never pay these crazy inflated rates.

In the future, I will somehow manage less data usage on another carrier or a prepaid carrier that throttles. If my 2 megabyte photo takes 3 minutes to send instead of 30 seconds, I will live, it's just work If I only pay $99 a month for my cable/internet/Showtime (thanks Comcast!), I am not paying these crazy rates for a cell phone.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast