Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: The future of Unlimited Data

Device(s)
    BB Storm 9530
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Called CSR the other day and asked if I could upgrade and keep unlimited she said no. I said thanks have a nice day. I wonder if I call enough times if I could get a rep that would do it for me? Does it have to be a specific tier rep?

Feedback Score

Re: The future of Unlimited Data

Quote Originally Posted by Balebil View Post
    Called CSR the other day and asked if I could upgrade and keep unlimited she said no. I said thanks have a nice day. I wonder if I call enough times if I could get a rep that would do it for me? Does it have to be a specific tier rep?
    All you'll end up with at that point is a lot of notes on your account from different reps saying "customer called in asking to keep unlimited data // advised unable to keep unlimited with subsidized upgrade// no action taken on acct".

The only way I have seen people keep unlimited has been doing upgrades on non-smartphone lines/lines that already have tiered, not doing it as an alternate upgrade, activating the phone briefly on the original line the phone was ordered for, then moving the phone to the line that has the unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID4 using HowardForums

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    Interestingly enough a few days ago I went to upgrade a customers phone but they had Unlimited Data on a very old Family Plan. The Family Plan had Unlimited smartphone data for $9.99 per line. According to the customer the plan was about 10 years old. I told them Verizon is no longer allowing the grandfathering of Unlimited Data. Needless to say the customer went to Defcon 1. They called Verizon. Verizon called me.

The customer was allowed to keep their Unlimited Data while I upgraded their phone. This is the second upgrade I have done where the customer was allowed to keep Unlimited Data when upgrading. The first one was because our system was down and I had to do the contract manually. The Rep then too also allowed them to keep Unlimited Data after upgrading.

But I'm starting to see a pattern here. It seems possible to keep Unlimited Data if its done through a CSR. But I'm not sure its possible all the time or in all cases. If maybe you have to meet certain criteria or complain enough you can keep it. I dunno.
    You work for Verizon now?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tlarseth View Post
    From what I understand from some contacts within VZW, that they are under investigation right now for their attempt to force people off of unlimited. This process will take anywhere from 1-2 years from what I understand, but what they are getting in trouble for is aggressively forcing people off of unlimited, specifically not telling people when they upgrade it would remove unlimited. I have tried calling for an upgrade myself, and yes I already knew it would remove me from unlimited, and until the last minute where I asked they didn't disclose that info to me. I called their Telesales Department.
    I wonder if ^this^ could have anything to do with what whitetiger is reporting…
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 12-01-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Balebil View Post
    Doesn't seem to be a specific tier rep. However remember that in both cases they were able to stay on Unlimited Data immediately following or during the initial upgrade process.

Quote Originally Posted by ak1sdr View Post
    All you'll end up with at that point is a lot of notes on your account from different reps saying "customer called in asking to keep unlimited data // advised unable to keep unlimited with subsidized upgrade// no action taken on acct".

The only way I have seen people keep unlimited has been doing upgrades on non-smartphone lines/lines that already have tiered, not doing it as an alternate upgrade, activating the phone briefly on the original line the phone was ordered for, then moving the phone to the line that has the unlimited data.

In neither case did they upgrade from or were currently on, a non-smartphone. Both cases were already using smartphones. Neither were alternate upgrades. It was a straight up upgrade from existing smartphones on those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    I wonder if ^this^ could have anything to do with what whitetiger is reporting…
    Certainly possible. I know when I called after the initial changeover where they were no longer allowing subsidized upgrades, they said I could keep my Unlimited Data. Even going so far as to quote the fine print about it. Even though at the time I knew I would lose it if I upgraded. I chocked it up at the time to the CSR not yet being properly informed about it.

Then these 2 events happened that I stated. One was the squeaky wheel. The other never even asked and retained it.

So there most certainly seems to be a way of keeping it. But it seems to be at the time of upgrade and not after.

Feedback Score

In neither case did they upgrade from or were currently on, a non-smartphone. Both cases were already using smartphones. Neither were alternate upgrades. It was a straight up upgrade from existing smartphones on those lines.
    Weird. And runs contrary to every bit of internal documentation I've seen. I'm not doubting you that it happened - I'm just saying it doesn't make sense based on what I've seen/read/heard etc.

Definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1sdr View Post
    Weird. And runs contrary to every bit of internal documentation I've seen. I'm not doubting you that it happened - I'm just saying it doesn't make sense based on what I've seen/read/heard etc.

Definitely the exception rather than the rule.

I agree. I know when I did the first upgrade and had the customer set up for the 2GB plan, I never imagined the CSR was going to revert it back to Unlimited after the upgrade was complete. She even mentioned back confirming that the customer wanted the 2GB plan initially from the Unlimited. And I said yes. Neither I or the customer thought that was going to happen and both of us anticipated her being switched to the 2GB plan. When the CSR mentioned she's back on her Unlimited plan AFTER the upgrade, I confirmed it after I hung up the phone and sure enough she still had Unlimited Data. Neither of us anticipated it nor asked for it, but obviously she was still very happy.

This most recent one (within the past week) may have been the squeaky wheel type of case. I don't know. I told them the Unlimited Data situation. They called Verizon. Verizon called me. They too got to keep their Unlimited Data on their family plan.

I also remember reading not long back a customer online that wrote a letter or something complaining to one of the Verizon big wigs. He too got to keep his Unlimited Data.

But in my 2 cases it happened at the time of upgrade. One was a family line and the other wasn't.

There is obviously some sort of trigger or loophole to keep it and get the phone upgraded at the subsidized pricing. But it seems to need to be done at the time of upgrade and not long after.

Feedback Score

I agree. I know when I did the first upgrade and had the customer set up for the 2GB plan, I never imagined the CSR was going to revert it back to Unlimited after the upgrade was complete. She even mentioned back confirming that the customer wanted the 2GB plan initially from the Unlimited. And I said yes. Neither I or the customer thought that was going to happen and both of us anticipated her being switched to the 2GB plan. When the CSR mentioned she's back on her Unlimited plan AFTER the upgrade, I confirmed it after I hung up the phone and sure enough she still had Unlimited Data. Neither of us anticipated it nor asked for it, but obviously she was still very happy.
    When did you start working for Verizon? And how's it going?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

The future of Unlimited Data

I must say that getting a Verizon rep to allow unlimited data to continue is few and far between. It is outside of the normal company policy, unless you use one of the loopholes. As for the true future of unlimited data on both Verizon and AT&T, it's dying. I doubt it will be much of a question a year from now. At least you currently have the option to buy a mon-subsidized device. Even that may become a dying option in the future.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

"Few and far between" beats the heck out of 'never'.

I'll still have vzw UL in Q4 2013 – if the world doesn't end this month, that is,

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

[QUOTE=TC_Mits;14995085]"Few and far between" beats the heck out of 'never'.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Agreed on that aspect. But that is dying no matter how you look at it.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    if the world doesn't end this month, that is,
    Too bad the Mayans are not here to celebrate.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Actually, my wife is Mayan.

Celebrate … idk, is that the right word?

For the umpteenth time, Armageddon is again shaping up in the Middle East. We're just so bored with such things, now. Remember Y2K? But, absolutely NObody is taking this one at all seriously. So-o-o, it wouldn't surprise me if …
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 12-04-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 3G Guy View Post
    Agreed on that aspect. But that is dying no matter how you look at it.
    Idk, if "you look at" the trend, it's upward, at least.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It seems Verizon is getting stricter and is completely happy with long-time unlimited data customers walking. I have a 4 line account- 3 smartphones. 1 smart phone has an unlimited data pack the other two are on tiered. I need about 3GB's of data on the unlimited line as it usually goes to about 2.5 GB's per month. Wifi in my office building is not an option- there is none.

Called retentions and explained that I would really like to stay with Verizon but just need a bit more data. She told me NO GO! Would not offer me any incentive to stay in fact her best words were you are on the best plan that we can offer you and going to a competitor may work out better financially for you.

Way to treat a 10 year customer Verizon I'll try not to let the door hit me in the butt on my way out.

Still stunned.... the Verizon of old is gone. I have no idea how they are ranking so high in customer service and adding one million customers per quarter because their service is terrible and their plans are ridiculously over priced.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast