Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: The future of Unlimited Data

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

The future of Unlimited Data

Quote Originally Posted by octoberdana View Post
    It seems Verizon is getting stricter and is completely happy with long-time unlimited data customers walking. I have a 4 line account- 3 smartphones. 1 smart phone has an unlimited data pack the other two are on tiered. I need about 3GB's of data on the unlimited line as it usually goes to about 2.5 GB's per month. Wifi in my office building is not an option- there is none.

Called retentions and explained that I would really like to stay with Verizon but just need a bit more data. She told me NO GO! Would not offer me any incentive to stay in fact her best words were you are on the best plan that we can offer you and going to a competitor may work out better financially for you.

Way to treat a 10 year customer Verizon I'll try not to let the door hit me in the butt on my way out.

Still stunned.... the Verizon of old is gone. I have no idea how they are ranking so high in customer service and adding one million customers per quarter because their service is terrible and their plans are ridiculously over priced.
    You answered your own question...If they are adding "one million customers per quarter" then why would they cut you a deal?

Verizon is a company, and companies are in business to make money.

It's like asking a new car dealership to cut you a deal on a very high demand new car...not going to happen.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: The future of Unlimited Data

Also appalling they would truthfully tell you an honest opinion about what plan/carrier would be the least expensive.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Long ago, in a previous HoFo incarnation, I posted this story. It seems a good fit here, too :

True, my real beef is with the corporate mindset that you are choosing to represent here on HoFo. Your employer is simply one major manifestation of that mindset. Note that I did not complain directly about vzw customer service, but rather about the corporate attitude towards it. I’ve never had a CS problem with vzw.
    But here’s a story that goes to the attitude:

I’m quite sure I’m not the only person reading HoFo who has seen this depersonalization process develop.
    When I signed up w/vzw several years ago, and went in to pay my bills, there was an open room with a nice young lady sitting on a stool at a computer with a smile to take my money and chat pleasantly while she processed the transaction. I liked that atmosphere and the personal interaction it entailed.
    Then some wise – and surely young – executive found a way to save a buck by taking out the stools, putting in a counter with fixed stations and a separate customer service area. Now I had to stand in line to see the nice young lady with the smile. I registered my displeasure at the time and the store mgr was apologetic.
    Soon, the same fellow or one of his myriad agent Smith clones had another brilliant cost-saving idea: Put in an ATM payment machine. Great idea! Give that man a promotion, seriously.
    Not to be outdone Smith then suggested forcing all customers to make all in-store payments only by the machine. (You didn’t know about that? It’s true!) Now they wouldn’t even let me get close to the nice young lady with the smile. I was hurt. I am old school; I don’t really like machines all that much. The second Smith clone should be taken out behind the vzw shed and shot! ATM for payments, good. Requiring its use for all payments, VERY BAD.
    In other words my vzw experience today bears no resemblance to what it was when I first signed up. Same company, new attitude.

[c. 2005]
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 12-05-2012 at 06:38 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You can't make a cash payment at the local store where you live? I've done it at both of the corp stores here, and they've done it at the same counter they process the phone sales, etc. I do get what you mean on the way they've changed the stores layout, etc though. Also noticed them pushing more for the online self serve options as opposed to visiting the store for customer service or calling 611.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Long ago, in a previous HoFo incarnation, I posted this story. It seems a good fit here, too :

True, my real beef is with the corporate mindset that you are choosing to represent here on HoFo. Your employer is simply one major manifestation of that mindset. Note that I did not complain directly about vzw customer service, but rather about the corporate attitude towards it. I’ve never had a CS problem with vzw.
    But here’s a story that goes to the attitude:

I’m quite sure I’m not the only person reading HoFo who has seen this depersonalization process develop.
    When I signed up w/vzw several years ago, and went in to pay my bills, there was an open room with a nice young lady sitting on a stool at a computer with a smile to take my money and chat pleasantly while she processed the transaction. I liked that atmosphere and the personal interaction it entailed.
    Then some wise – and surely young – executive found a way to save a buck by taking out the stools, putting in a counter with fixed stations and a separate customer service area. Now I had to stand in line to see the nice young lady with the smile. I registered my displeasure at the time and the store mgr was apologetic.
    Soon, the same fellow or one of his myriad agent Smith clones had another brilliant cost-saving idea: Put in an ATM payment machine. Great idea! Give that man a promotion, seriously.
    Not to be outdone Smith then suggested forcing all customers to make all in-store payments only by the machine. (You didn’t know about that? It’s true!) Now they wouldn’t even let me get close to the nice young lady with the smile. I was hurt. I am old school; I don’t really like machines all that much. The second Smith clone should be taken out behind the vzw shed and shot! ATM for payments, good. Requiring its use for all payments, VERY BAD.
    In other words my vzw experience today bears no resemblance to what it was when I first signed up. Same company, new attitude.

[c. 2005]
    In business, all employees are judged on performance metrics on either how much they can increase revenues or how much they can decrease operating costs. Pay raises and incentive compensation like profit sharing or performance bonuses are based on this.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

You maybe be right by today's "metrics". But I recall, and my post refers to, a time when some intangibles carried weight, too. Things like customer satisfaction and retail atmosphere used to enter into that equation – back in the day. I don't know, maybe only us old fogeys can remember that far back now.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by NUDAY8 View Post
    You can't make a cash payment at the local store where you live? I've done it at both of the corp stores here, and they've done it at the same counter they process the phone sales, etc. I do get what you mean on the way they've changed the stores layout, etc though. Also noticed them pushing more for the online self serve options as opposed to visiting the store for customer service or calling 611.
    Please note that quote, as I said, is maybe seven years old, give or take.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    You maybe be right by today's "metrics". But I recall, and my post refers to, a time when some intangibles carried weight, too. Things like customer satisfaction and retail atmosphere used to enter into that equation – back in the day. I don't know, maybe only us old fogeys can remember that far back now.
    Back in the day some of the metrics that mattered more was what we now consider intangible - customer satisfaction and retail atmosphere are good examples.

Here is a description of today's retail store environment: "The average wait to speak with a salesperson is 7.5 minutes and the average total time to complete a sales transaction in retail stores was 54 minutes." Source So much for just popping into the store to buy or upgrade a phone. It is almost as bad as waiting for the cable TV installer.

If a store had that record "back in the day" people would have walked out ... but now that is average. And as far as customer satisfaction score, all the companies are fairly close. The best company is only ticking off slightly less people than the worst company in satisfaction.

But it doesn't matter. People do not expect a warm fuzzy retail experience. They probably do not expect 54 minutes average but they have come to accept that as the norm. Carriers are competing on price, phones and features ... not warm fuzzies.
    Three places to look:
    Rules Search FAQ

ST3000 -> ST7868 + V.60i -> E815 -> Krave ZN4 -> Droid 2 Global -> Droid 4

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Funny that people can simultaneously complain about how long it takes to complete a sale AND the push to self service AND the inattention to the customer.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Thanks, guys, for the corroboration.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score

It seems Verizon is getting stricter and is completely happy with long-time unlimited data customers walking.
    Stricter in terms of the upgrade restriction, yeah.

Called retentions and explained that I would really like to stay with Verizon but just need a bit more data. She told me NO GO! Would not offer me any incentive to stay in fact her best words were you are on the best plan that we can offer you and going to a competitor may work out better financially for you.

Way to treat a 10 year customer Verizon I'll try not to let the door hit me in the butt on my way out.

Still stunned.... the Verizon of old is gone. I have no idea how they are ranking so high in customer service and adding one million customers per quarter because their service is terrible and their plans are ridiculously over priced.
    You shouldn't be surprised a bit. VZW does not have a retentions department that I know of, or retention plans; this is nothing new. They have their normal plans, and a couple unadvertised plans (not a better deal, just less money for fewer minutes, so someone doesn't bail because they use like 100 minutes a month). They rank high in CS because the CS is fine; they told you straightly and frankly that you've got the best deal they offer and someone else may work out better, rather than yanking your chain and wasting everyone's time.

@Vatothe, I know right? People want personal service without having to "deal with salesmen", want the rep to take their time but not have to wait for a rep, and so on 8-).

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0 View Post
    Funny that people can simultaneously complain about how long it takes to complete a sale AND the push to self service AND the inattention to the customer.
    Honestly i can't say I've experienced what i would call an unreasonable wait at the store for sales, nor have I felt Verizon to be inattentive.

The thing i said about them promoting self service options was an observation, not really a complaint. In fact, i will use the self service options when they're convenient for me; which is most of the time. I mean, who wants to call 611 to do an ESN change when you can do it online in just a few seconds?

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

For me, five or ten minutes wait time is not a big issue, unless I'm stuck in a line holding my "place". I really hate just uselessly 'standing on line'. But if I walk in and the reps are all busy, and I can browse – look at the new devices, try out a video on the DNA. Then, when a rep comes free, I'll pounce. That's fine with me.

Certainly, the 50'+ number doesn't register in my personal experience at all, in any retail setting. But obviously it's about completing the sales on non-trivial items with stuff like warranty paperwork, delivery, or contracts involved. I doubt if 7-11 customers were included.

"KansasCity.com" sounds like a debunking site with a mildly yellow tabloid focus – to me. You know, "I'm from Kansas City, show me." Even the MO license plates read, "The Show Me State".

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

As for those claiming that a long term customer should get benefits above short term customers. This is a valid point, but in todays market it holds little weight. A long term customer with both att and verizon has little pull when it comes to data. If you fit the profile of when you signed up originally (all voice and text) you may have some ground to stand on. With the advent of data usage things have changed. Unless you are with a struggling (Sprint and T-mobile) national carrier, or a regional carrier things are different now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Way to treat a 10 year customer Verizon I'll try not to let the door hit me in the butt on my way out.ced.
    They may not miss you if you are a "data whore". Sprint and T-Mobile are getting customers to look better for a sale. Unlimited data is pitched by them for the same reason att and Verizon did in the beginning, to gain a customer base. No carrier can use that as a long-term model. Take it while you can! Its going to die in the future.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast