Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: The future of Unlimited Data

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: The future of Unlimited Data

Definition of affiliates. There seems to be some confusion between agents and/or dealers, and an affiliates. An affiliate uses their own or borrowed spectrum to market on their own. They may use their affiliate status to market under another carriers name. But those markets will always show as roaming or out of network on the primary carriers maps. Carriers use affiliates to build out networks not planned in their current build-out. They are their own entity. Where as a dealer, reseller, or agent sells the service for a carrier within their owned coverage area. You need to look at the tag line below anyone you deal with. Does it say "authorized" dealer retailer, or agent. Or does it state they are an affiliate? Affiliates with all carriers are few and far between. They were mainly used for very rural build outs for 1900 Mhz. Most of them have been bought by the major carrier sponsoring them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Last things first:
    Quote Originally Posted by 3G Guy View Post
    Definition of affiliates. There seems to be some confusion between agents and/or dealers, and an affiliates. An affiliate uses their own or borrowed spectrum to market on their own. They may use their affiliate status to market under another carriers name. But those markets will always show as roaming or out of network on the primary carriers maps. Carriers use affiliates to build out networks not planned in their current build-out. They are their own entity. Where as a dealer, reseller, or agent sells the service for a carrier within their owned coverage area. You need to look at the tag line below anyone you deal with. Does it say "authorized" dealer retailer, or agent. Or does it state they are an affiliate? Affiliates with all carriers are few and far between. They were mainly used for very rural build outs for 1900 Mhz. Most of them have been bought by the major carrier sponsoring them.
    Usefully informative post. Thank you.

Working back:
    They may not miss you if you are a "data whore". Sprint and T-Mobile are getting customers to look better for a sale. Unlimited data is pitched by them for the same reason att and Verizon did in the beginning, to gain a customer base. No carrier can use that as a long-term model. Take it while you can! Its going to die in the future.
    I remain skeptical. I think UL data will return. A lot more costly and with curbs and caveats – but with unrestricted HD video and without overage charges.

Now, from the top:
    As for those claiming that a long term customer should get benefits above short term customers. This is a valid point, but in todays market it holds little weight. A long term customer with both att and verizon has little pull when it comes to data. If you fit the profile of when you signed up originally (all voice and text) you may have some ground to stand on. With the advent of data usage things have changed. Unless you are with a struggling (Sprint and T-mobile) national carrier, or a regional carrier things are different now.
    Essentially, what I hear ^here^ is that,
    'Competition ain't what it used to be.'
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Feedback Score
    Most of us don't have UL with our wire based ISPs.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Which means what?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
    Most of us don't have UL with our wire based ISPs.
    I do. And at 30mbps too.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Gee, that's almost as fast as peak LTE speeds. Lol.

Feedback Score
    Well sadly I finally realized unlimited data will be ending for our family of 4 smartphones which are 2 years old. The phones are barely hanging on & are at the end of their lifespan. It's just not cost effective for us to pay retail price for 4 phones at nearly $700 each to keep unlimited data. I feel like Verizon has me right where they want me. It'll cost us $50 a month more to go with the 8GB shared family package with new subsidized phones. Or I can pay $700 retail x 4 smartphones.

So our only other option is prepaid. How good are those prepaid phones??

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post
    Well sadly I finally realized unlimited data will be ending for our family of 4 smartphones which are 2 years old. The phones are barely hanging on & are at the end of their lifespan. It's just not cost effective for us to pay retail price for 4 phones at nearly $700 each to keep unlimited data. I feel like Verizon has me right where they want me. It'll cost us $50 a month more to go with the 8GB shared family package with new subsidized phones. Or I can pay $700 retail x 4 smartphones.

Look for lightly used phones on Ebay or Glyde. $50 more a month is crazy, and so is $700 per phone.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Feedback Score

I know about 3 families who are in the exact same circumstance.

What one co worker is doing is buying 4 used Nexus's in great condition @ $250 per in the hopes they'll last for another 1 1/2- 2 years.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Look for lightly used phones on Ebay or Glyde. $50 more a month is crazy, and so is $700 per phone.
    Swappa is good. Also Gazelle eBay store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by macher50267 View Post
    Swappa is good. Also Gazelle eBay store.
    Or Cowboom. Does a family of four need four iphone 5's? Definitely look at alternatives.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

@laurie, I don't follow. I just set up a new dummy account on Verizon. 8gb shared comes to $250/mo. w/o a discount. Means you are paying $200 now with $120 being data. So $80 for voice, text and fees for four lines?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    iPhone 5, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

$50.00/ month --- HOW??? 4 smartphones is where the new share plans usually save money.
    $30 *4 = $120 - data
    $10 *4 = $ 40 - access
    That leaves $40 for minutes, text - Something is missing. Please elaborate.

**I see steveanderson thought the same thing before me

Feedback Score
    For the last two years, our monthly Verizon Wireless bill is $197. That's 4 smart phones, 1440 shared minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited data. Husband gets a discount through the steel mill he's employed at.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Anyway, laurie, I would look for alternative phones first before changing my plan. Maybe you could try one at a time.

Other thoughts: check into alternative texting methods, eg email, kik, imessage, watsapp, etc

Check into alternative voice, eg talkatone, google voice, etc.

The texting and phone costs are the most overpriced imo. You should be able to get good phones that work way more than two years at a reasonable price.

Take a look at the Page Plus thread and comparison shop. They use Verizon network; Iack shared data and I don't know what 2gig costs. Your employee discount is helpful too and I wouldn't want you to lose that.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast