Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: The future of Unlimited Data

Device(s)
    iPhone 5, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That is a good deal.

So now it comes down to how much data your family uses. If each uses < 2GB, then you can keep your plan with subsidized upgrade, but will lose unlimited data down to 2GB each line.

Also look how much discount you will get with Share everything.

If family is using more than 2 GB on any line, then best bet is find a way to keep your current unlimited with used phones from sites mentioned before.
    Last edited by weth; 12-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: The future of Unlimited Data

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Gee, that's almost as fast as peak LTE speeds. Lol.
    For close to $100 a month you can get 100mbps speeds. Still unlimited.

I use Midcontinent. Best provider I've ever used.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

There is always a "back door" for those wishing to find one. It may be finding a used phone on e-bay, or leaving for another carrier with unlimited data. But I believe all carriers with unlimited data will eventually feel the network crunch; or be bought out by another feeling it. Unlimited may come back in the future, but not until new spectrum and markets are complete. Far too many carriers are taking a local rather than regional look at the problem. But until a carrier has enough bandwidth nationally, they are restricted because its "one rule for all".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 3G Guy View Post
    There is always a "back door" for those wishing to find one. It may be finding a used phone on e-bay, or leaving for another carrier with unlimited data. But I believe all carriers with unlimited data will eventually feel the network crunch; or be bought out by another feeling it. Unlimited may come back in the future, but not until new spectrum and markets are complete. Far too many carriers are taking a local rather than regional look at the problem. But until a carrier has enough bandwidth nationally, they are restricted because its "one rule for all".

Why would they want to bring back unlimited data when there's more money to be made with their new plans. It's extremely unlikely unlimited will ever come back. There is no financial reason to. As long as people are willing to pay and use the new plans and Verizon isn't bleeding customers, there will never need to be a reason to bring it back.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    Why would they want to bring back unlimited data when there's more money to be made with their new plans. It's extremely unlikely unlimited will ever come back. There is no financial reason to. As long as people are willing to pay and use the new plans and Verizon isn't bleeding customers, there will never need to be a reason to bring it back.

Exactly. If customers left. Vrz would change their tune

Sent from my EVO LTE using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Agreed. There is no current reason for Verizon (or att for that matter) to do so. Revenue is what builds towers, pays for backhaul, and most of all shows a profit. Carriers need to show an INCREASE in revenue, not a decline. Some regional areas my show a decline for a variety of reasons, but overall they need to make more money. Without such they are a declining company.

Feedback Score

The future of Unlimited Data

Quote Originally Posted by gameaddict8 View Post
    Exactly. If customers left. Vrz would change their tune

Sent from my EVO LTE using HowardForums
    What about those with unlimited plans now? Is it wise for VZW to not offer unlimited anymore to grandfathered users with the potential of them jumping ship?

Or would it be more cost effective for VZW to just let unltd users just jump ship?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher50267 View Post
    Or would it be more cost effective for VZW to just let unltd users just jump ship?
    That depends on the cost of providing their data. If it costs more to provide unlimited than VZW is charging the grandfathers I would not expect the plans to continue.
    Three places to look:
    Rules Search FAQ

ST3000 -> ST7868 + V.60i -> E815 -> Krave ZN4 -> Droid 2 Global -> Droid 4

Feedback Score

The future of Unlimited Data

Quote Originally Posted by justalurker View Post
    That depends on the cost of providing their data. If it costs more to provide unlimited than VZW is charging the grandfathers I would not expect the plans to continue.
    AT&T is offering grandfathered unlimited data at subsidized pricing but it's throttled at 5GB. I'm way more confident with AT&T not ending
    grandfathered throttled at 5GB unlimited data.

Would throttled unlimited data cost less than providing unlimited data at full speed?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher50267 View Post
    Would throttled unlimited data cost less than providing unlimited data at full speed?
    Yes. With throttling one is limiting the GB used. Every GB that carriers transmit within their network and connect to outside of their network costs them money. If they can keep the GB down then they can save money.

The alternate is to charge for those GBs at a markup.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by justalurker View Post
    Yes. With throttling one is limiting the GB used. Every GB that carriers transmit within their network and connect to outside of their network costs them money. If they can keep the GB down then they can save money.

The alternate is to charge for those GBs at a markup.
    Then I 'suspect' that Verizon will throttle in the future especially if it keeps costs down for UL users. Verizon is either going to end grandfathered UL accounts completely or have a throttling/ network management policy for UL accounts. My opinion is Verizon will not end UL accounts but implement a throttling policy. Ending UL accounts would be a drastic move and would give Verizon a bad public image.

It has been said that Verizon and AT&T copy each other. In this case my opinion is that Verizon will copy AT&T.

BUT if Verizon does copy AT&T how will they address the device purchases? Right now the policy is buying full retail to retain UL. I find it hard to believe they'll make you buy full retail to keep throttled/network managed UL. As AT&T offers subsidized pricing for UL accounts for throttled UL data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    This is exactly what I expect will happen as people start becoming off-contract. I'm off in March, I wouldn't be surprised to see "As Unlimited Data is no longer offered by Verizon,starting with your July billing statement, your Unlimited Data Plan will conveniently and automatically switch to a 2GB Tier Plan for $30 a month. Please call us with any questions. Verizon Wireless thanks your loyalty." etc.

They'll be completely within their right to do, just as I will be within my right to promptly leave. Even if it is just over to AT&T for 3GB at the same price.
    I've been out of contract and haven't received a letter or any inclination that Verizon wants to get rid of my UL.

Feedback Score

Was in the Verizon store this morning. There was a couple there that was inquiring about a line because they wanted to get their son an iPhone 4S or an iPhone 5 for Christmas. The rep told him that the upgrade price was $199 and referred to a tiered/ family share plan. The wife was asking the questions.

I asked the husband if I could talk to him on the side. He was a nice guy. I said to him I hope you realize that if you get an iPhone 5 at upgraded price you'll lose UL data. He said he knows they upgraded their daughters line last month. He was somewhat disappointed that he did that.

I said to him if you think you might get your son a 4S you could get him one in pretty good condition for about $250'fish and you'll be able to keep UL. He said that sounds like a great idea and went to his wife took her on the side. The wife said to the rep we are going to think about it.

So the couple started talking to me together. I said UL is like gold and if you can don't give it up. I showed them different sites such as eBay and Gazelle where they could get a 4S in pretty good condition. The couple was willing to pay $250-$275'ish. They were kicking themselves for not doing that with their daughters that they did last month. I said it might not be too late to get that reversed.

The husband and wife both have UL on their devices, one a Blackberry and the other a Charge. They said when it's time for new devices for them they don't need brand new devices. They want to keep UL but didn't know you could bring in your own device. The husband likes the Nexus. I showed him Swappa where you could get a Nexus in mint condition for like $250'ish.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Unlimited is def worth keeping for most people.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast