Thread: New Verizon MVNO Talk For Good

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

New Verizon MVNO Talk For Good

Launching around 11/01/12

Interesting in that they will allegedly offer service on 4G LTE phones by years end.

http://www.talkforgood.com/

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Their cheapest plan is $0.01 per text. The Page Plus standard plan is $0.05 per text. The cost per minute is a penny more than the $80/yr Standard Plan on Page Plus. The downside is that TFG adds a $6/mo charge on top of paying for what you use. I'll need to do the math on this to see how their pricing compares to Page Plus.

Will they offer roaming, and will they charge extra for it? Will they officially allow the iPhone? Also, it remains to be seen how good their customer service will be. There's not much information about them on Google yet, apart from HoFo threads.

Feedback Score
    You are going to have to do a lot of texting to make up the extra $6/mo. Sounds like Ting without the bands.

Feedback Score
    My advice to them:

- $6/month is too high

- how about something in the range of $3/month for paygo?
    Pageplus allows you to have $10 for 120 days

- How about a $40 or $45 / month - unlimited voice/text and 1GB data plan?
    If they had a plan like that, I will leave Str8 Talk - and even activate my Samsung Galaxy Proclaim on their
    service.

I wonder if these guys can last !!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd320 View Post
    My advice to them:

- $6/month is too high

- how about something in the range of $3/month for paygo?
    Pageplus allows you to have $10 for 120 days
    To be clear, the $6/mo TFG charges only keeps the account active. It doesn't give you any minutes, texts, or data. PP has a similar fee, but it's only $0.50/mo.

TFG is postpaid, but without a contract.

Mobile web is $0.06/MB on TFG compared to $0.99/MB on PP std plan. It's not clear what TFG charges for MMS. On the website, they specifically label the data charges as being for mobile web.

They donate a portion of a customer's bill to a charity or non-profit that the customer chooses. Thus the name "TalkForGood."

Customers can get additional lines for $6 per line, which could be a good deal on the "peace" plan (their equivalent to "The 55" on PP).

They don't say what the overage charge is for going over 2GB on the "Peace" plan and I don't see any information about porting.

One of their employees is a HoFo member: http://www.howardforums.com/member.p...alkForGood-Guy
    Last edited by Slinkwyde; 10-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Feedback Score
    it is interesting.. Since pageplus got rid of powertext plans, this can be useful for "medium" texter, with some data usage... I also need to see the pageplus standard plan, "the 12", and this one, and do some numbers..

I also want to see hoe TFG will do after launching.. Hopefully they'll do well..

Feedback Score
    I am now on PP and use $80 refills that usually last me about a year (I use under 100 minutes/month and several texts). I will consider switching to this provider ($6 plan) because I would like to use data more on occasion but it is not viable at $0.99/MB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    I will consider switching to this provider ($6 plan)
    It's only a $6/mo plan if you don't use it. Paying that $6 doesn't get you any voice, text, or data. All it does is keep the account active. You still have to pay depending on how much minutes, texts, and data you used. That gets added to the $6/mo.

For example, if you used 100 minutes, 100 texts, and 100 MB, you would pay $6 (to keep account active) + $5 (voice) + $1 (text) + $6 (data), which would be $18 for that month. Plus there might be tax.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkwyde View Post
    It's only a $6/mo plan if you don't use it. Paying that $6 doesn't get you any voice, text, or data. All it does is keep the account active. You still have to pay depending on how much minutes, texts, and data you used. That gets added to the $6/mo.

For example, if you used 100 minutes, 100 texts, and 100 MB, you would pay $6 (to keep account active) + $5 (voice) + $1 (text) + $6 (data), which would be $18 for that month. Plus there might be tax.
    Yes, I realized from earlier post that $6 doesn't give you anything. Still makes sense to me with numbers you mentioned because I need data rarely and PP doesn't provide anything similar in this price range.

Feedback Score
    For the $55/mo "Peace Plan," they just changed the amount of mobile web data written on the website from 2GB to "Unlimited." I wonder if that really means unlimited or if it still means 2GB. Carriers often say "unlimited" when it's not.

Anyway, I was thinking about maybe getting the Peace Plan with two additional lines for a total of $67/mo. That may or may not be a good deal compared to getting individual Page Plus plans for my mom, my brother, and me. I'll need to do the math to be sure.

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For the $55/mo "Peace Plan," they just changed the amount of mobile web data written on the website from 2GB to "Unlimited." I wonder if that really means unlimited or if it still means 2GB. Carriers often say "unlimited" when it's not.
    It could mean unlimited but with a heavy throttle at some point. Interesting that they changed the data allowance.

Feedback Score
    Suppose you needed Verizon based and 100 MB of data per month. What otherwise are the cheapest options?

Page plus cellular would want $30/month for this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Launching around 11/01/12

Interesting in that they will allegedly offer service on 4G LTE phones by years end.

http://www.talkforgood.com/
    I really don't see them getting LTE. I don't see anything on their site about it either. All the other Verizon MVNO's only have 3g. Verizon keeps the LTE for their premium customers. I won't say it will never happen but I would say if it does the MVNO's won't be getting access to the LTE for a long while.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Secrest View Post
    I really don't see them getting LTE. I don't see anything on their site about it either. All the other Verizon MVNO's only have 3g. Verizon keeps the LTE for their premium customers. I won't say it will never happen but I would say if it does the MVNO's won't be getting access to the LTE for a long while.
    See this thread by a TFG employee: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1779611

Note: 4th quarter doesn't necessarily mean the last three months of a calendar year. Quarterly earnings for companies don't always line up with calendar years (ex: Apple)

Feedback Score
    See this thread by a TFG employee: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1779611

Note: 4th quarter doesn't necessarily mean the last three months of a calendar year. Quarterly earnings for companies don't always line up with calendar years (ex: Apple)
    Really, I don't care. I'm just glad to finally see a few more Verizon options. After the original Mingo wireless, Air Voice cdma , Lucky Wireless all went up in flames, it's good to see new Verizon alternatives come up. Another carrier is an mvno out of Texas called Next G. Whether this is the beginning of a new trend of mvnos that Verizon is supporting to combat the ever increasing and renewed Mvno surge from smaller competitors with aggressive mvnos programs like Sprint and Tmobile or not is another thing but I think Verizon with its network size and byod for most Verizon postpaid 3G devices has a strong lead. My only question is what are the limits of byod? Do they allow ANY cdma device flashed to their network like Page Plus or only Verizon postpaid. Also is the iphone allowed?

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast