Thread: Sprint 4G Lte coming to Torrington Connecticut 06790. Hardware being installed!

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Sprint 4G Lte coming to Torrington Connecticut 06790. Hardware being installed!

Just saw a tower upgrade request to modify a site on top of the hill on east main street. That's almost 1100 feet elevation. Good place to start. Actually that's the first. I've seen for the whole state of Connecticut. Here's a couple screen shots of the ct siting council website Name:  sprint 4g lte upgrade.PNG
Views: 1230
Size:  20.2 KBName:  spring lte.PNG
Views: 1275
Size:  213.5 KB

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    good find!
    Thrill me...

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Not sure if its Sandy related but 3g in the area has crapped out again…. My AT&T work phone is as fast as ever even post Sandy so… I blame Sprint. I called and as typical "none of the towers in your area are having issues, which is a good thing since we can push an update to your phone…" LOL

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I wonder how well IDEN fared with Sandy vs. CDMA; all the IDEN people used to brag about how Nextel was very good about staying up during storms while everyone else went down. If they want to keep their new SDC customers happy, I'm sure this will come into play on the CDMA side of things... Around here a number of CDMA sites are on battery backup, while US Cellular and Verizon have generators--I know this because about once or twice a year we get a reasonably bad storm, and I find myself roaming on them after about 6 hours of no power. I realize SDC works while roaming whereas Nextel would just have "no service"--but still I think Sprint should toughen up their network if for no other reason than to stay competitive (besides with all those Nextel sites coming down, it looks like they will have a surplus of generators--which are one of the few things that CAN be reused from those sites...)

Also regarding the posted Connecticut table, I only see a single Spring 4G listing--looks like all the other carriers have been doing plenty of work, and I only see Sprint there a couple of times--and the single listing for 4G... I'm surprised there aren't more on that list, and more postings in general like these, since they supposedly have so many LTE upgrades in the works for their 115 new cities...

--Nat

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    I wonder how well IDEN fared with Sandy vs. CDMA; all the IDEN people used to brag about how Nextel was very good about staying up during storms while everyone else went down. If they want to keep their new SDC customers happy, I'm sure this will come into play on the CDMA side of things... Around here a number of CDMA sites are on battery backup, while US Cellular and Verizon have generators--I know this because about once or twice a year we get a reasonably bad storm, and I find myself roaming on them after about 6 hours of no power. I realize SDC works while roaming whereas Nextel would just have "no service"--but still I think Sprint should toughen up their network if for no other reason than to stay competitive (besides with all those Nextel sites coming down, it looks like they will have a surplus of generators--which are one of the few things that CAN be reused from those sites...)

Also regarding the posted Connecticut table, I only see a single Spring 4G listing--looks like all the other carriers have been doing plenty of work, and I only see Sprint there a couple of times--and the single listing for 4G... I'm surprised there aren't more on that list, and more postings in general like these, since they supposedly have so many LTE upgrades in the works for their 115 new cities...

--Nat
    I'm sure there are plenty of iDEN sites down this time around seeing as switches, data centers, powerlines, and just about everything else in Manhattan was flooded and was/is underwater. All networks, even POTS, was hit hard with Sandy. It is going to take a long time to get things back up and running at a normal rate. Some iDEN sites may be down for good after this storm. It may have just accelerated the decommissioning schedule. I do think that Sprint found another area of the network that they have to put major money into just to harden it.

I would like to see Sprint start using generators more instead of the batteries. The generators usually have a much longer fuel supply than what batteries will last. It is also easier and faster to dump a bit of fuel into a tank versus recharging a battery. I do like the fuel cell backups they have but they are not implemented in huge numbers. Those can run on a number of different fuels. I think the urban ones run on natural gas. I would guess they could run rural ones on propane. That is probably more efficient and can have larger storage than even a diesel generator.

I would be interested if there is a difference in how network vision sites pulled through compared to non-network vision sites. I think they are just hitting sites up as the backhaul gets in place. There is no rhyme or reason to the way the sites are being connected on the backend so that could be why there is only one listing.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Have you seen any of the new hardware? I must say this is exciting to say!

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Any updates? Hmmm I might have to swap over to a lte device sooner.

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    looks like 2013 for "LTE 4g" is a go for Sprint & At&T now also. Hardware is being installed on all 3 carriers 1925-1930 east main st. Verizon & sprint on 136 wright road. Verizon "LTE 4g" is pretty much be deployed now on every site in Torrington. Looking at Verizon's web site. I don't see it going live by the end of this month in litchfield county. It states waterbury area.
    Last edited by aronmatmike; 12-07-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score