Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile killed my tethering! (Google N1)

Device(s)
    Back to my trusty Nokia 7250i (back to the promised land from Motorola-hell)
    Feedback Score

Angry T-Mobile killed my tethering! (Google N1)

I just moved and have no internet.

My Google Nexus One was always able to tether, but they just killed it. Try to access any webpage, and I get this message:

http://offers.t-mobile.com/tethering...ource=redirect

Turn your Smartphone into a Mobile HotSpot!

Share your smartphone's high-speed internet connection with your laptop, iPad®, iPod®, or any other Wi-Fi enabled device.

Click here to learn how to add the Smartphone Mobile HotSpot service to your account.

To learn more about Smartphone Mobile HotSpot service visit the FAQ.

If you feel you reached this page in error, or have questions about Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (Tethering) service, please call T-Mobile Customer Care, 1-800-937-8997.
    I thought tethering was included with the Nexus One, have they begun blocking it?

This was one of the main reasons I kept my Nexus One around, and I only used the tethering in emergency situations. I never even hit the 200MB tier, even thought I pay for the 2GB. Now I actually need the tethering and they blocked it. They will lose my family plan (5 lines) if it's like this. 100%.

Feedback Score
    Sometimes these blocks only last a few days if you keep up with the T-zones thread. I don't know the policy of your data terms but if I were you I would give it some time before doing anything drastic.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    I don't have T-Zones any longer (they screwed me out of that...). Just the regular Data Plan they offer currently.

So is usage being monitored to block us?

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kspecial View Post
    So is usage being monitored to block us?
    It appears so on both postpaid and prepaid. I was fine up until September on the 30 a month 5GB prepaid plan using a G2X.

You might still be able to using PDA Net

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I was able to use Open Garden for awhile but it is blocked now too. I read in a thread somewhere that if you use Chrome you can install an extension that allows you to work around that message.
    T-Mobile iPhone 6s Plus | Verizon iPhone 6 | FreedomPop Netgear Mingle

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wow. I thought the deal was that we were able to do this on Nexus Android phones as it's built into the software that way.

So, basically they killed that.

This was the last reason for me to stay with them.

I'm jumping ship. No benefit to staying with TM any longer.

Thanks guys.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know, T-mobile is detecting tethering by looking at browser user agent strings. Fortunately this is fairly easy to circumvent. User agent switcher in browser, VPN, proxy that changes user agent string, etc.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    I just moved and have no internet.

My Google Nexus One was always able to tether, but they just killed it. Try to access any webpage, and I get this message:

I thought tethering was included with the Nexus One, have they begun blocking it?

They will lose my family plan (5 lines) if it's like this. 100%.
    It was never supposed to be included for free, there was supposed to be a charge from the start, but many customers were able to do it for free for the longest time. I posted what 1 1/2 - 2 years ago that we started shutting this loophole down. The original cost for the feature was 14.99, but now now has been reduced depending on the rate plan you have. Enjoy the free ride while it lasted, there are still other work arounds as others have mentioned. Why don't you look into those, but don't complain about something you were supposed to pay for in the beginning.

Since you will be "jumping ship" I hope you are aware most other carriers charge for tethering also...

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy78 View Post
    It was never supposed to be included for free, there was supposed to be a charge from the start, but many customers were able to do it for free for the longest time. I posted what 1 1/2 - 2 years ago that we started shutting this loophole down. The original cost for the feature was 14.99, but now now has been reduced depending on the rate plan you have. Enjoy the free ride while it lasted, there are still other work arounds as others have mentioned. Why don't you look into those, but don't complain about something you were supposed to pay for in the beginning.

Since you will be "jumping ship" I hope you are aware most other carriers charge for tethering also...
    Defensive. Sorry, I'm not the least bit interested in your protecting your self interest.

I could outline how T-Mobile's ONLY virtue was its value proposition, and how I would rather pay for quality, which T-Mobile does not possess, but I don't want to derail the thread any further.

Thanks for the "info" and sorry to have offended your valuable sense of T-Mobile-ness.

Feedback Score
    I don't have T-Zones any longer (they screwed me out of that...). Just the regular Data Plan they offer currently.
    If you have the 5GB or the 10GB plan they currently offer then tethering is included and you wouldn't be having this issue. So what plan do you have, the cheap 2GB plan?

You say you would rather pay for quality but yet you're not paying for a plan with tethering. In addition, if you just moved, you could add the $15 tethering option to your account temporarily if need be, and remove it when you don't need it anymore.

But I don't understand your need to get rude with those trying to give you advice on how to use your service like you did in your last post.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Wow, Verizon charges $30 to tether, and wont allow you to keep unlimited smartphone data while upgrading. Good luck, grass isn't greener on the other side

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    Wow, Verizon charges $30 to tether, and wont allow you to keep unlimited smartphone data while upgrading. Good luck, grass isn't greener on the other side

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    And both Sprint and AT&T have specific data plans for tethering.
    How much you use (or don't) is irrelevant. All of the major wireless carriers will make the attempt to catch customers tethering when their data plan doesn't specifically allow for it. If they have extra pricing for tethering then chances are they want you to pay up for that feature, regardless.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Free tethering with 5GB and 10GB sounds like a steal. Actually, if you plan to use very large amount of data, you have to make a plan that how much you're gonna use and make an allotment. If you can shift most of the job to smartphone, get nationwide unlimited and prepaid webconnect may be more ideal, but if your combined usage is always within the limit, 5GB and 10GB options are pretty good deal.

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    If you have the 5GB or the 10GB plan they currently offer then tethering is included and you wouldn't be having this issue. So what plan do you have, the cheap 2GB plan?

You say you would rather pay for quality but yet you're not paying for a plan with tethering. In addition, if you just moved, you could add the $15 tethering option to your account temporarily if need be, and remove it when you don't need it anymore.

But I don't understand your need to get rude with those trying to give you advice on how to use your service like you did in your last post.
    Yes, the CHEAP 2GB plan. I'll repeat myself: I don't even hit the 200MB tier. If I'm going to pay more I'll go somewhere I will receive a higher level of service. Obviously, I'm not the only one who sees this.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phone...-stack-up/4936

I refuse to pay another $15/month for tethering. It's what made Tmo unique compared to the other telcos.
    Bummer. Since T-Mobile's prices will be closer to the other carriers, then it won't hurt to change. Most of them have better phones anyway.
    etc.

Sorry, TMobile's network is not quality. Neither is their customer service. Neither is their phone selection. They're just cheaper. That's it. Nothing else. If this offends you in some way, I kindly suggest you put your attention on parts of your life that actually matter.

There were actually people like mch, crackerjack, billm, and xarlon who were constructive and helpful in this thread, and big thanks to them, it's working.

What do you mean "rude with those"? How many people are those? In what way? Was there cursing? Name calling? Sounds like sensationalism. Newguy78 came in to nanny with an axe to grind (obviously with a vested interest in this wonderful company). I could not care any less about his agenda. Deal with it.

Boy, is Fanboyism silly.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the CHEAP 2GB plan. I'll repeat myself: I don't even hit the 200MB tier. If I'm going to pay more I'll go somewhere I will receive a higher level of service.

Obviously, I'm not the only one who sees this.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phone...-stack-up/4936
    That article is from two years ago. You might be interested to know that both Verizon and AT&T have made radical changes to their data pricing since then. As multiple people in this thread mentioned, even with the $15 charge, T-Mobile still comes out to a lower price. But you're welcome to go pay as much as you want to another carrier if it will make you feel better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast