Thread: I can't get Backup Assistant on my phone

Device(s)
    Samsung Gusto 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepay: FreeUP (legacy)
    Feedback Score

I can't get Backup Assistant on my phone

On my Motorola w385, when I try to download Backup Assistant over Get It Now, I keep getting the error, "Unable to retrieve catalog. Please try again later. (3332)"

So I called Customer Service and they said that Get It Now isn't supported by my old FreeUp prepay plan on which I'm grandfathered. They said I needed to go to a VZW corporate store to have Backup Assistant copied to my phone manually from a device that connects with a USB cable.

Then I went to my VZW corporate store, and they said that there is no such thing as copying an app to my phone over a USB cable. They offered no other help.

Now what? How do I get Backup Assistant onto my phone? Is there some computer utility that can copy it from another phone to mine over Bluetooth or a USB cable? I'm wondering, inasmuch as Get It Now doesn't work for me, whether Backup Assistant would even work, either, if I did manage to get it on my phone.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I did a Google search for "Motorola w385 contact transfer" and found two suggestions.

You could try using Active Sync in Windows (don't know if it will work or not) or Motorola Phone Tools since the W835 is an older Motorola phone.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Find an independent, 3rd party cellular repair place that has a Cellbrite and copy from your phone to a newer model that can do BackupAssistant.

Device(s)
    Samsung Gusto 3
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ^ Thanks, but that is off-topic for this thread. This thread is about finding a way to get VZW's Backup Assistant onto an old prepay phone.

I of course had Googled around to no avail. Along the way I found a custom third-party plug-in written by a teenager for Macintosh iSync over Bluetooth, but it's flakey (doesn't honor the Apple Address Book Group I set-up but instead mixes the phone contacts among all the rest of the entries, making a nightmare out of picking the ones to restore back to a phone) and so I don't trust it, at least until I can get a Backup Assistant backup to fall back on.

I'm on a Macintosh, so I guess Active Sync is not an option.... The w385 is supported by Motorola Phone Tools, but unless it runs under the Wine libraries, I'm not going anywhere near a full Windows installation. Besides, again, the topic of this thread is about seeking a way, if possible, to get VZW's Backup Assistant onto my phone. (When going through the VZW website's instructions for obtaining Backup Assistant, the w385 is listed as a supported phone under prepay.) But as I indicated above, I'm getting conflicting assertions from two official authoritative VZW sources (Customer Service & a corporate store), so I'm seeking help here from somebody who has actually done this drill on prepay.

Edit: The previous post "crossed in the mail," and I'll look into this Cellbrite (however it sounds like the suggestion is that I would end up with a new phone), but I still seek a definitive answer whether Backup Assistant can be put onto my existing phone.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Read this thread:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/525322

However, as you mentioned, it is questionable whether Backup Assistant will work for you even if you get it loaded on your phone. Personally, I would be looking for another solution to backup your Contacts. Have you considered using Bluetooth to transfer your contacts to your computer?

Device(s)
    Samsung Gusto 3
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Bingo! Thanks, taoman54, that's the answer — expired certificate, Backup Assistant otherwise *does* work on my phone over prepay, and the VZW corporate store *can* update the certificate from its PC over a USB cable, after all. I'll take your link with the procedure to the store's technician. I'll let you all know how it goes.

(And yes, I *have* tried Bluetooth, as described in my above post, but you don't mention which app utilizing Bluetooth to try, and whether it runs on a Macintosh, or if a Windows app, at least under the Wine libraries.)

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmye Bubbula View Post
    (And yes, I *have* tried Bluetooth, as described in my above post, but you don't mention which app utilizing Bluetooth to try, and whether it runs on a Macintosh, or if a Windows app, at least under the Wine libraries.)
    Can't help you on the Macintosh side of things. But with my old feature phones I could just pair it with my Windows PC via Bluetooth and push my contacts to my computer as vcards.........no additional app was required. The contacts would then show up in my address book on my computer.

Device(s)
    Samsung Gusto 3
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well, my local VZW corporate store read taoman54's link in post #5, and claims that even if they download the little configuration file, they no longer have the ability to plug a phone into their computer and flash the certificate/update onto a phone. My b u l l s h i t radar is sounding, and I think they're just blowing me off, so there's nothing I can do but spring for another phone, I guess.
    Last edited by Schmye Bubbula; 11-25-2012 at 01:12 PM.