Thread: Is keeping my Unlimited Data Plan at all costs really worth it?

Feedback Score

Is keeping my Unlimited Data Plan at all costs really worth it?

I want to get a new phone soon I have unlimited data with Verizon. My upgrade isn't until the middle of February but my Dad has offered for me to use his upgrade. With that said, I use ~500mb-a little over 1gb a month; the most I have used in the past year was 1.98gb (which I'm not sure what causes that). My Mom also has unlimited but I don't think she has ever used more of a 1gb. My Dad has a feature phone but I think he wants to finally get a smartphone at somepoint. The bottom line is that I believe I have 3 options: #1, use my Dad's upgrade and keep my unlimited data plan for another couple of years; #2 move to the share everything plan which does allow for some new benefits (like a personal hotspot); #3 ride it out to the end of my contract and go prepaid so I can send a screw you to Verizon. Basically, I don't want to waste my time fighting Verizon but I don't want to knuckle under to them so easily. Does anyone have insights or advice for this?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Is keeping my Unlimited Data Plan at all costs really worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by tjb122982 View Post
    I want to get a new phone soon I have unlimited data with Verizon. My upgrade isn't until the middle of February but my Dad has offered for me to use his upgrade. With that said, I use ~500mb-a little over 1gb a month; the most I have used in the past year was 1.98gb (which I'm not sure what causes that). My Mom also has unlimited but I don't think she has ever used more of a 1gb. My Dad has a feature phone but I think he wants to finally get a smartphone at somepoint. The bottom line is that I believe I have 3 options: #1, use my Dad's upgrade and keep my unlimited data plan for another couple of years; #2 move to the share everything plan which does allow for some new benefits (like a personal hotspot); #3 ride it out to the end of my contract and go prepaid so I can send a screw you to Verizon. Basically, I don't want to waste my time fighting Verizon but I don't want to knuckle under to them so easily. Does anyone have insights or advice for this?
    You could always keep unlimited and take up streaming video over LTE to help justify keeping it.
    Last edited by newyork4me; 11-23-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    How are you fighting or knuckling under?? Most here would say keep your plan. Why don't you pencil out having your family move to a share plan. The savings might be worth it. three smart phones $120+ $70 for 4 gigs $80 for 6. Old plan with unlimited +hotspot+ texting at least $100 each or more. I know tether apps bla bla bla.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I want to get a new phone soon I have unlimited data with Verizon. The bottom line is that I believe I have 3 options: #1, use my Dad's upgrade and keep my unlimited data plan for another couple of years; #2 move to the share everything plan which does allow for some new benefits (like a personal hotspot); #3 ride it out to the end of my contract and go prepaid so I can send a screw you to Verizon. Basically, I don't want to waste my time fighting Verizon but I don't want to knuckle under to them so easily. Does anyone have insights or advice for this?
    3 smartphones, low data usage, cheaper with Share Everything in that scenario usually.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's the situation i was in. 3 lines, moderate data usage. Under 2GB/mos usage on each of the 3 lines. Went with the 8GB plan to be safe and with phone subsidies, i got 3 new phones for cheap and my monthly is less than it was with the unlimited plans. The more phones you have, with no one that is a super heavy user, the share plans usually end up saving you a few bucks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    How are you fighting or knuckling under?? Most here would say keep your plan. Why don't you pencil out having your family move to a share plan. The savings might be worth it. three smart phones $120+ $70 for 4 gigs $80 for 6. Old plan with unlimited +hotspot+ texting at least $100 each or more. I know tether apps bla bla bla.
    "Knucking under" to means that I am giving into Verizon and letting them take something from me. I know they are not taking it but they are sure as hell are playing hard ball.

Your right about the possible savings. I am going to do the math on it and see where the numbers go. My mom is the account holder but since I am a AT&T CSR I am taking the lead on this. I am sure as hell not going to let them go into a store without me.

I know of the tethering apps also but even if I keep the unlimited data plan, I am worried about using it for a half hour and then Verizon sends me a text message "we noticed you are tethering so we changed your data plan."

Feedback Score
    Also, if I use my Dad's upgrade do I need to upgrade on his line or could I simply transfer it to me?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Also, if I use my Dad's upgrade do I need to upgrade on his line or could I simply transfer it to me?
    You can transfer it over to your line before doing the upgrade online or in the store.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In general, if you want to keep an unlimited plan, you can't take advantage of the subsidized phone every 20 months, and have to buy at retail or used off the likes of Craigs List or Swappa. Given that the subsidy on a smartphone is about $400, that's an effective "rebate" of $20 per month per line, although it comes with a 2 year commitment. On a three line account, that amounts to about $60 per month that you forgo in order to hang on to unlimited. If your data usage is low, and you plan to stick with VZW anyway, it would be definitely better to switch to Share Everything, IMHO.