Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Carrier deals out the most credit and/or free phones?

Feedback Score

Which Carrier deals out the most credit and/or free phones?

I am current an AT&T CSR and apparently we credit more and give more free phones than the other carriers per coworkers and management's comments. For example in month I credited alone $8,000 and with good reason I will try to give a free phone away here and there. Also for comparison, apparently I am at the high end but not the top for my building. However, as discussing a credit with my TM tonight she told me: "don't apply at Verizon or Sprint; you will be fired within a week." Does AT&T really credit that much or are the other carriers simply do not budge; or simply does it depend on the customer/agent/situation/call center et cetera?

Feedback Score
    $8,000 a month in credits as a CSR?

So assuming you have 22 work days in a month (5 day work weeks, 4 full weeks per month plus partial week to finish the month out), you're taking an average of 40 calls a day (that was about my average before I moved to tech support), that's 880 calls per month. $8,000/880 = $9.10 in credit per call.

Yeah - you'd be a HUGE outlier at Verizon. The highest my credit/call has ever been in almost 4 years was about $3.75/call, and that was when I was working in the global department and our credits tended to be higher just due to the nature of what we were dealing with.

And free phones... VZW doesn't discount phones. At least, I've never seen it done at my center in my entire time when it wasn't part of the multi-FRU process that was removed 3 years ago.

If the issue is a Verizon issue, we credit it. If not, we don't credit.

Feedback Score
    AT&T has given me credits I didn't ask for multiple times as a gesture of goodwill, mainly in the months following the Alltel conversion before things really got good on the network end. Verizon? Basically says "screw you we don't care your home has no service"

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Which Carrier deals out the most credit and/or free phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    Verizon? Basically says "screw you we don't care your home has no service"
    Maybe it's the way you deal with it. I've received over $1,000 in credits myself with Verizon. AT$T basically told me to go to hell; which is why I switched.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I worked on a specialty off-line team with At&t applying credits to accounts higher than a CS rep or floor manager could apply and in 1 month I applied almost $250,000 in account credits (up to $5,000 per account). Credits higher than that had to be applied by the call center director or regional VP. All credits applied were from my call center and no others.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1sdr View Post
    And free phones... VZW doesn't discount phones. At least, I've never seen it done at my center in my entire time when it wasn't part of the multi-FRU process that was removed 3 years ago.
    I few years ago, I got a $100 curiosity credit to use toward any new phone purchase. I guess if I used it against a $100 phone, instead of a high-end smartphone, it would have been free.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Which Carrier deals out the most credit and/or free phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    AT&T has given me credits I didn't ask for multiple times as a gesture of goodwill, mainly in the months following the Alltel conversion before things really got good on the network end. Verizon? Basically says "screw you we don't care your home has no service"
    Polar opposite here. Verizon has always given me some sort of compensation the few times I called them. Even when the site by my house was being upgraded to LTE they gave me $10 IIRC for the trouble. It all depends on who you speak with I suppose, but I have never encountered an experience with VZW that equates to "screw you".

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    $8,000 a month in credits as a CSR?

So assuming you have 22 work days in a month (5 day work weeks, 4 full weeks per month plus partial week to finish the month out), you're taking an average of 40 calls a day (that was about my average before I moved to tech support), that's 880 calls per month. $8,000/880 = $9.10 in credit per call.

Yeah - you'd be a HUGE outlier at Verizon. The highest my credit/call has ever been in almost 4 years was about $3.75/call, and that was when I was working in the global department and our credits tended to be higher just due to the nature of what we were dealing with.

If the issue is a Verizon issue, we credit it. If not, we don't credit.
    I wouldn't say his 8k figure is THAT out of line depending on how things are figured. If he gives a credit for say $10 a month, but it's for a year, that's really a $120 credit. Are we counting just the immediate amount or the full amount? Probably the full amount, since the other $110 can't be applied to another CSR.

Also, someone else pointed out maybe a $100 upgrade bonus to make your next phone 'free' - that's a lot all at once. Don't need to give out anything for the next few calls to meet your 8k average.

Someone else also mentioned corporate/business accounts. If you gave some small business, who say spends 5k a month in phones, you could give a goodwill discount one month for say 10% and that's $500 right there in one call, yet not really an outrageous credit given the account.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Also, I'd like to point out at Sprint that they NEVER gave any credits except when I had to file a BBB complaint about a terrible port-in process. I think they gave me a one time credit of $15 or $25 - not bad but not worth my time in the long run. Never got any credits despite calling in at times to complain about the surcharges and such going up and up for no real reason.

I can't speak to VZW, the wife has never had a reason to call in since returing to them. They have no issues with it from what they tell me though. I do know she had ATT when we first started dating and they'd hand out extra roll-over minutes if she was close or a $10 credit here and there. So they were fair at least I guess.

Never used postpaid Tmobile - no clue.

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I had to downgrade my data plans with T-Mobile (my mom was in the hospital for five months and I was paying all her co pays). The csr was very helpful and gave me a two hundred dollar credit (I renewed my contract (a five line family plan) and he pointed out I could easily drop to a I lower data tier (saving me ten dollars per month, per line) and even gave me a promotional credit for three months of five dollars off of my 10$ per line (lines 3-5) fee. This was all on top of my current corp discount.

Snowflake approved this message....
    Samsung Galaxy S III (TMOUS)
    HTC One X (Tegra 3)
    HTC Amaze (TMOUS)
    Galaxy Tab 10.1

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    AT&T seems to love to give out free phones, but not much in the plan department, so that they can get people in contracts, keep them in contracts, and build up the revenue stream.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    I wouldn't say his 8k figure is THAT out of line depending on how things are figured. If he gives a credit for say $10 a month, but it's for a year, that's really a $120 credit. Are we counting just the immediate amount or the full amount? Probably the full amount, since the other $110 can't be applied to another CSR.

Also, someone else pointed out maybe a $100 upgrade bonus to make your next phone 'free' - that's a lot all at once. Don't need to give out anything for the next few calls to meet your 8k average.

Someone else also mentioned corporate/business accounts. If you gave some small business, who say spends 5k a month in phones, you could give a goodwill discount one month for say 10% and that's $500 right there in one call, yet not really an outrageous credit given the account.
    My post was predicated on the assumption the OP is in consumer support. If he/she is in business support, I readily admit that's a complete different beast and my math doesn't apply.

$8k/month in credits in consumer accounts just seems ridiculous to me. That's just my opinion - your milage may/will vary

Feedback Score
    My post was predicated on the assumption the OP is in consumer support. If he/she is in business support, I readily admit that's a complete different beast and my math doesn't apply.

$8k/month in credits in consumer accounts just seems ridiculous to me. That's just my opinion - your milage may/will vary
    I am in Small Business End User Care which really means I deal with IRU customers (consumers with FAN discounts) and small business accounts, both combined and not combined with landline/U-Verse. I mainly do all of the normal calls: billing, upgrades, account changes, first tier tech support.

I honestly think it boils down to the person/team/shift/building. For example these are the three schools of thought I have been molded on: my TM's approach is "don't give them anything because if you give them an inch they will take a mile," but my OPS manager (boss's boss) attitude has been pretty much give them anything they want. However, my trainer may have given me the best advice: "if it's under $50 credit but if it's a $100 or more you better have a reason."

With that in mind, I developed the approach of educating them customers and crediting. There is not a night goes by where I get a call from a customer who added a line or two and they start off with "my bill is higher than the salesperson said it would be." I may have bad tendency to almost always believing the customer when they tell me the store rep didn't explain any of this.

And this was all before ACE was are only performance measure. With ACE everyone has been taking my approach to crediting. I honestly see quality coming back within the next year because AT&T is going to get mad about all of the credit, free phones and early upgrades we are doing.

Also, are the other carriers difficult to get an early upgrade out (with standard pricing)?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I never had a problem getting service credits from att. Their system even seems to be set up to give them easily.

Sprint OTOH when I exchanged phones and they charged me the 35 dollar restocking fee and I called in to have it credited, there was tons of red tape and over an hour on the phone going back and forth....eventually they just caved and gave me the damn credit...all that for a measly 35 dollars!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using HowardForums

Feedback Score

I just looked at my total amount of credit given year to date- it's under $6k.

So. Yeah. $8k/month in credits seems excessive in a consumer customer care environment. Just my opinion.

Sent from my DROID4 using HowardForums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast