Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Basic/NonSmartphone out there???

Feedback Score

Best Basic/NonSmartphone out there???

Hey guys,

I want to buy a new phone for my parents
    I want to get them a smartphone, but realize it would be a waste of money to be paying for the data plan
    They basically only have a phone for emergency use and casual talk.
    They dont' text.... maybe a few times a month lol
    They dont' don't browse the interent or anything like that
    I just want them to have an upgraded phone....they're using one from almost 10 years ago lol

Thanks in advance!!!

Feedback Score
    Definitely try someone other than verizon, unless you can't get coverage from anyone else. They have but a couple of dumb-phones, and you can save a lot of money given your description of their needs.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have one of the Verizon LG Revere flip phones on prepaid. The key pads have a good grippy feel to them. The phone has pretty loud ear and mic speakers, and gets as good reception as my iPhone. Solid little flip phone.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Best Basic/NonSmartphone out there???

Yeah, the Revere has a good reputation. I would definitely recommend what I use, the Samsung Convoy, for older people. Big phone, big screen, big battery, large fonts, easy to use. Discontinued but you should be able to find one. They carry the Convoy 2 but I don't think it is as good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I usually buy the LG Accolade VX-5600 from ebay in order to avoid getting into a contract.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'd also recommend the Revere if we're just talking voice calling. HOWEVER, IIRC, it does have a quirk that it text messaging capacity becomes full, the phone has to either be replaced or you have to hard reset it. Can't remember which... it's been a while. But for voice calling, it's a pretty reliable device.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Calhoun View Post
    I'd also recommend the Revere if we're just talking voice calling. HOWEVER, IIRC, it does have a quirk that it text messaging capacity becomes full, the phone has to either be replaced or you have to hard reset it. Can't remember which... it's been a while. But for voice calling, it's a pretty reliable device.
    You can't delete text messages?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    lol haha i hope thats not true

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Calhoun View Post
    IIRC, it does have a quirk that it text messaging capacity becomes full, the phone has to either be replaced or you have to hard reset it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lilkhmerkid4u View Post
    lol haha i hope thats not true
    I'm assuming what Big Calhoun meant is if you are not proactive in deleting texts from the phone and allow the text message capacity to become full then the phone could end up completely freezing up. So basically as long you remember to clear out your texts frequently you shouldn't have a problem.

Device(s)
    VZW iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    OP, if you're open to considering a different carrier, I'm considering replacing my ATTWS off-contract account with an account with Consumer Cellular, an MVNO on ATTWS's network. The DORO 440gsm flip phone is about as basic a cell phone as you can get in the US, and it looks like I can get a family plan for about 1/2 of what we're currently spending with ATTWS (keeping in mind that I'm on a legacy 450-minute FP ATTWS hasn't offered in years!). My 75 year old mom has a DORO 330gsm bar phone that works well for her - big buttons, loud ringers, decent screen. For an MVNO, Consumer Cellular seems to be the only MVNO that offers a "family plan" - $10 to add a line, anywhere from 100 to 4000 minutes. And an AARP discount - they'll know what that means!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by campyguy View Post
    OP, if you're open to considering a different carrier, I'm considering replacing my ATTWS off-contract account with an account with Consumer Cellular, an MVNO on ATTWS's network. The DORO 440gsm flip phone is about as basic a cell phone as you can get in the US, and it looks like I can get a family plan for about 1/2 of what we're currently spending with ATTWS (keeping in mind that I'm on a legacy 450-minute FP ATTWS hasn't offered in years!). My 75 year old mom has a DORO 330gsm bar phone that works well for her - big buttons, loud ringers, decent screen. For an MVNO, Consumer Cellular seems to be the only MVNO that offers a "family plan" - $10 to add a line, anywhere from 100 to 4000 minutes. And an AARP discount - they'll know what that means!
    How much AARP discount you get with Consumer Cellular?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny43 View Post
    5% aarp discount. With their low usage, I would consider another ATT or Verizon mvno pay-as-you-go type plan. Consumer Cellular imposes a $10/month fee per month for no minutes/text/data. Otherwise, a fabulous company. Lots of options for carriers , but that's not your main question.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny43 View Post
    You get 5% discount for monthly fees and 30% discount on all cell phone accessories you can check AARP discount for more information.

Feedback Score
    Lots of options on the AT&T side. You can get 80 minutes a month for $5 on PureTalk. Best deal for minutes is their 600 minutes for $15 plan, that gradually increases to 900 minutes after 6 months if you are a senior (an extra free 50 minutes a month is added). No taxes or fees, no hassle. Lots of decent flip phones available. The GoPhone Z222 is often available cheap from places like Best Buy. I got one for I think $7.95. Tried it out for a week and it works well on PureTalk. One thing nice if you are on AT&T is you can just switch the SIM card to another phone when/if the old one dies, or your parents find another phone they prefer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jecko View Post
    You get 5% discount for monthly fees and 30% discount on all cell phone accessories you can check AARP discount for more information.
    thank you for reply
    5% aarp discount. With their low usage, I would consider another ATT or Verizon mvno pay-as-you-go type plan. Consumer Cellular imposes a $10/month fee per month for no minutes/text/data. Otherwise, a fabulous company. Lots of options for carriers , but that's not your main question.
    thank you for replay, what At&t plans you suggest I rarely text and never use data

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast