Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast

Thread: Motorola General Discussion Thread

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    S5 looks all hype and pixels to me. So 16mp camera, but is there any tangIble benefit? Or have we finally reached overkill? Should the X-2 go up or stand pat?

I see the lady-in-red's giving away S5s from day 1. That says something …

Anybody know if it's still possible to get an S4 developer edition anywhere?

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    S5 looks all hype and pixels to me. So 16mp camera, but is there any tangIble benefit? Or have we finally reached overkill? Should the X-2 go up or stand pat?

I see the lady-in-red's giving away S5s from day 1. That says something …

Anybody know if it's still possible to get an S4 developer edition anywhere?

It has WAY better battery life as seen here, seems a decent bit more durable, will take some serious water dousing, has a good bit higher quality and most accurate OLED display to date, and all while still being smaller than the more praised by the tech media HTC One while having a larger screen. Not really sure what you were hoping for?? It's really the first Galaxy S that makes me somewhat interested.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    It has WAY better battery life as seen here, seems a decent bit more durable, will take some serious water dousing, has a good bit higher quality and most accurate OLED display to date, and all while still being smaller than the more praised by the tech media HTC One while having a larger screen. Not really sure what you were hoping for?? It's really the first Galaxy S that makes me somewhat interested.
    I'd expect somebody makes 3 amp + batteries for the S4. The fact that you had space to mention a 2% display increase correlates well with vzw's day 1 bogo deal. I won't argue that it's not better, just about how much.

I haven't heard yet if the Google accommodation has affected the utility of the μSD, as it well could.

I'm most interested in whether the camera is much improved. Since you don't refer to it, I guess not. Still no OIS… It's arguable, who has most to gain from the pedometer and pulse register. And FM is still too expensive? I'm really hoping Lenovo will bring back some OTA media capabilities.

Last edited by TC_Mits; 04-13-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Feedback Score
    I'd expect somebody makes 3 amp + batteries for the S4. The fact that you had space to mention a 2% display increase correlates well with vzw's day 1 bogo deal. I won't argue that it's not better, just about how much.

I haven't heard yet if the Google accommodation has affected the utility of the μSD, as it well could.

I'm most interested in whether the camera is much improved. Since you don't refer to it, I guess not. Still no OIS… It's arguable, who has most to gain from the pedometer and pulse register. And FM is still too expensive? I'm really hoping Lenovo will bring back some OTA media capabilities.

Seemingly it scores in the 3amp range with a smaller than 3amp battery due to this license battery optimization software tech.

I haven't seen great camera tests/samples yet(might be out there, but haven't checked them), but it should be better. It will for sure be better for 16:9 shots as the sensor is now supposedly 16:9. Pixels are the same size as before, but it uses Samsungs new proprietary ISOCELL sensor that is supposed to be the best thing since BSI for small pixel sensors.

I think it's one of the most improved Galaxy devices yet really as stuff like water proofing and actual focus on color accuracy of the display are pretty big deals when before it was all about slimming and cramming more pixels. I think the possible supply/demand stuff with supply being a bit ahead is probably more to do with slowed smartphone sales in general due to the market become saturated with very few peeps left to be courted away from dumb phones onto smart phones. So now it's all about upgrades. I doubt many went from S3 to S4 until their S3 was getting tough to use. I really don't suspect people are going to upgrade every year anymore now that really since S3 devices are just as serviceable as they were then. It gets back to this whole deal where you don't need the Snapdragon 805 to have a perfectly quick and smooth device. The older devices now are good enough that upgrading isn't a top priority until some use case or feature comes along that really pushes you. Heart rate monitor, few more pixels, and waterproofing just don't do that.

Some of this saturation stuff is why I think a QWERTY could make a comeback. How many people are on S3, S4 or some HD or Maxx or One or something that would love to move to a truely premium qwerty as they have never fully come to love onscreen typing and the screen theft it creates??

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Seemingly it scores in the 3amp range with a smaller than 3amp battery due to this license battery optimization software tech.

I haven't seen great camera tests/samples yet(might be out there, but haven't checked them), but it should be better. It will for sure be better for 16:9 shots as the sensor is now supposedly 16:9. Pixels are the same size as before, but it uses Samsungs new proprietary ISOCELL sensor that is supposed to be the best thing since BSI for small pixel sensors.

I think it's one of the most improved Galaxy devices yet really as stuff like water proofing and actual focus on color accuracy of the display are pretty big deals when before it was all about slimming and cramming more pixels. I think the possible supply/demand stuff with supply being a bit ahead is probably more to do with slowed smartphone sales in general due to the market become saturated with very few peeps left to be courted away from dumb phones onto smart phones. So now it's all about upgrades. I doubt many went from S3 to S4 until their S3 was getting tough to use. I really don't suspect people are going to upgrade every year anymore now that really since S3 devices are just as serviceable as they were then. It gets back to this whole deal where you don't need the Snapdragon 805 to have a perfectly quick and smooth device. The older devices now are good enough that upgrading isn't a top priority until some use case or feature comes along that really pushes you. Heart rate monitor, few more pixels, and waterproofing just don't do that.

Some of this saturation stuff is why I think a QWERTY could make a comeback. How many people are on S3, S4 or some HD or Maxx or One or something that would love to move to a truely premium qwerty as they have never fully come to love onscreen typing and the screen theft it creates??
    I think the Galaxy S5 is a nice "refresh". I don't think it is a phone that people with an S4 have to dump their phone for and upgrade to but it would be a great phone for someone coming from an s3 or Note 1 or from another manufacturer. I think Samsung wants people who buy their current flaghips to fell they are getting this years tech as opposed to last years, whether it is a huge step up or not. I keep thinking about replacing my Note 2 with a Note 3 or s5 but the Note 2 runs so flawlessly that I keep feeling guilty about spending the money when I have very little justification. Almost makes me miss having a crappy laggy phone that keeps dying on me, lol.-

I am with you about the Real qwerty keyboard. Although, I don't feel I have to have one, I do miss it sometimes and I would buy one if it was done right. I had an idea a while ago about a "555" device but I have since rethought that. I would love to see a Moto "666": a 6 inch screen, a 6 row premium qwertry, and a 6000mAh battery. (maybe I just like the name, )

Sadly, I don't see it happening. All these manufacturers want to be more like Apple and Windows Phone 7 - You know the guys that lost market share to Android. I think Google and Android manufacturers forgot about why they skyrocketed from nothing to having such a huge part of the smartphone market.

Have lived in many different cities throughout the US, mostly West Coast, East Coast, and South
    Device(s)
    Huawei Nexus 6P, Nexus 4, Honor 5X; ZTE ZMax Pro; Moto X, E; Galaxy S6; iPhone 6 Plus, 4; Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    Haha! Tried them all, you name it, most likely I've tried it
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbh2 View Post
    I would love to see a Moto "666": a 6 inch screen, a 6 row premium qwertry, and a 6000mAh battery. (maybe I just like the name, )
    I'd love to see a Moto phone with those specs, but the name "Moto 666" might need to be changed as 666 brings up visions of the devil in some segments of the population. 😈 Maybe Moto X6, has a nice rhyme to it.
    Best Value Flagship Phones - OnePlus 3T, Huawei Nexus 6P, ZTE Axon 7
    Best Value Low Cost Phones - ZTE ZMax Pro; Moto E4

Feedback Score
    Yeah. Screens can only get so sharp and accurate and at this point most all performance optimizations are more for overhead than they are to really improve anyones experience. These facts are why the Note 2 and S3 are probably hard to justify replacing for many if they are still running well.

A move from eMMC to a more true SSD arrangement with a high grade controller chip would be the only real noticeable performance enhancer I figure they could push, but no one is even talking about a move to a more sophisticated storage interface so much as mSD is bad and should not exist for some reason, when even it now has iterations almost as fast as the latest eMMC stuff.

All of this is the reason I think a QWERTY device that is targeted at the highest levels would hit with a big boom.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbh2 View Post
    … I had an idea a while ago about a "555" device but I have since rethought that. I would love to see a Moto "666": a 6 inch screen, a 6 row premium qwertry, and a 6000mAh battery. (maybe I just like the name, )
    I went back and found it @ post #583.

I still think a Moto 'CountDown' would work pretty well, too:
    Actually, "I expect one person here", no "a couple of people", well "a few" others would find your '555‘ idea very attractive.

Or, how about a $999 Snapdragon 800 7" HD IPS tablet with minimal bezels and 6 amp removable battery, available Moto branded 5-row true PC-layout BT clip-on flip qwerty keyboard, 4 carrier interoperability, 3GB Ram, dual mSD, and with one sensitive Moto-quality telephone built-in?

Feedback Score
    Gonna have 300MB/s mSD cards before most phones even probably have built in storage capable of such speeds. Hopefully future Moto's atleast get mSD.

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/news/pre...emy_14_708.jsp

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    UHS-II is the ultra high speed serial bus interface in SD Memory Card Standard Ver4.20 that delivers data at 156MB/s by single lane access and 312MB/s by dual lane access.
    Is full support for this 4.2 standard dependent on the SoC and/or handset hardware, or, does it require firmware support, or, both?
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 04-18-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Feedback Score
    Is full support for this 4.2 standard dependent on the SoC and/or handset hardware, or, does it require firmware support, or, both?
    Both. UHS-II is actually extra pins most devices don't currently even include.

Name:  uhs-ii-card.png
Views: 162
Size:  2.5 KB

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Are there any mobile devices available now that do have UHS-II support ?
    EDIT — OK. I'll take that as a 'no.'
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 04-19-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, seems some cameras are about all that's out there so far and most of them are SD rather than mSD. Soon enough they will have 128gb versions of these. Hopefully Lenovo gets Moto back into the mSD game with high end devices.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It appears that the successor to Moto X will have a 5.2 inch, 1080p display.

During the past few weeks, we’ve sneaked a peek and heard an awful lot about the*Moto*X+1, Motorola’s upcoming successor to its current flagship smartphone, the Moto X, and earlier today*the handset reappeared on the company’s official website again, before quickly being removed.

Sadly, there wasn’t much to the post. It was just a landing page for the Moto X+1 on AT&T, imparting that the device is, in fact, real and should be launching in the United States on the nation’s fastest*4G-enabled*carrier pretty soon. However, thanks to recent leaks, rumors and speculation, we know a little bit more about the device.

We believe the Moto X+1 will be available in black, blue, grey and red leather options, whilst maintaing the facility to have the traditional wooden back that the original Moto X brought to the table. The X+1 will also be available through MotoMaker, so customers*will still have the facility to tailor*all design, storage and accessory options to their personal preference.

A recent*benchmark test revealed some more details about the handset, including some specifications. Carrying the model number*XT912A, the X+1 will feature a 5.2-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC, an Adreno 330 GPU, 2GB of RAM, OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics, a 12-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 2-megapixel front-facing shooter.

Motorola publicly announced last month in an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit that the new Moto X would be arriving in stores in ‘late summer’. So, we shouldn’t have too much longer to wait.

Be sure to check back for more information, as we’ll let you know the latest news about the handset as and when it breaks.
    Source: Cult of Android

I hope they keep the phone the same size - one of the main things that attracted me to the Moto X is that I could comfortably operate it with one hand without any thumb aerobics.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The ability to open two apps on a screen (or in a separate box) at the same time seems to be a samsung only feature. Is this correct? Any hints that this will make it to Motorola devices anytime soon?
    Since the moto x +1 is rumored to have a bigger screen it would be a feature that could be a reason to upgrade.

Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast