Thread: Smallest phone that will work on Mobilicity?

Feedback Score

Smallest phone that will work on Mobilicity?

I left Mobilicity a while ago, because I wanted to use a wristwatch phone. The wristwatch phones all seem to only work on GSM carriers. (like Fido) Now, I really hate carrying a phone in my pocket. I'm always forgetting it, or not hearing it when it rings/vibrates. It's uncomfortable, as I already have to carry another phone for my day-job. I switched to Fido, as they were the only carrier that would work with a watch-phone.

Still, Mobilicity has the best rates around, and their signal seems to be better than Fido's. (in my area, at least) I've looked around. None of the watch phones will work on UMTS 1700 band. There are a few really small smartphones out there, but they all seem to be GSM-only as well. Does anybody know of a really small phone that works with Mobilicity/Wind/etc..? I guess I could go back to my old Samsung flip-phone, but I'd rather not. Flip-phones always bugged me. (My work phone is a flip phone)

Anyways, something with a small (2" or less) touch screen, minimal functions, would suit me fine. As long as it's not much bigger than its screen is.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Note 2. Just kidding.

The smallest phone I can think of is the the low end LG phone mobi used to sell.

Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Puguglybonehead View Post
    I left Mobilicity a while ago, because I wanted to use a wristwatch phone. The wristwatch phones all seem to only work on GSM carriers. (like Fido) Now, I really hate carrying a phone in my pocket. I'm always forgetting it, or not hearing it when it rings/vibrates. It's uncomfortable, as I already have to carry another phone for my day-job. I switched to Fido, as they were the only carrier that would work with a watch-phone.

Still, Mobilicity has the best rates around, and their signal seems to be better than Fido's. (in my area, at least) I've looked around. None of the watch phones will work on UMTS 1700 band. There are a few really small smartphones out there, but they all seem to be GSM-only as well. Does anybody know of a really small phone that works with Mobilicity/Wind/etc..? I guess I could go back to my old Samsung flip-phone, but I'd rather not. Flip-phones always bugged me. (My work phone is a flip phone)

Anyways, something with a small (2" or less) touch screen, minimal functions, would suit me fine. As long as it's not much bigger than its screen is.
    You mean Fido,Rogers,Chat-r,Telus,Koodo,Bell,Virgin,Petro Canada, all work with the GSM watch phone.
    The smallest phone according to gsmarena is http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_tm506-2503.php
    Phones using: Honor Play 6GB 128GB,wife using LG G7 One, son using iPhone XR,daughter using iPhone XR, Youngest son using Xiaomi Redmi 5.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
    You mean Fido,Rogers,Chat-r,Telus,Koodo,Bell,Virgin,Petro Canada, all work with the GSM watch phone.
    The smallest phone according to gsmarena is http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_tm506-2503.php
    No, most of the GSM watch phones are 2G-only, and if they do have 3G it's 2100 MHz (Band I) because they target the Asian market. Hence they won't work on Belus/VirgKoo because those are 3G-only 850/1900 networks.

But yes it seems there is only so small you can go on an AWS phone. A little flip phone is about the smallest you'll get. Unless perhaps you get some sort of watch-Bluetooth phone instead, where your real phone is in your pocket/bag/etc but your watch pairs to it.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    No, most of the GSM watch phones are 2G-only, and if they do have 3G it's 2100 MHz (Band I) because they target the Asian market. Hence they won't work on Belus/VirgKoo because those are 3G-only 850/1900 networks.

But yes it seems there is only so small you can go on an AWS phone. A little flip phone is about the smallest you'll get. Unless perhaps you get some sort of watch-Bluetooth phone instead, where your real phone is in your pocket/bag/etc but your watch pairs to it.
    GSM frequencies use the least battery. If you had a AWS watch for Mobilicity, it'd be a pretty big watch to fit the battery.
    Managed to get Mobilicity to act and improve on 4 items.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score

Re: Smallest phone that will work on Mobilicity?

Quote Originally Posted by quickinferno View Post
    GSM frequencies use the least battery. If you had a AWS watch for Mobilicity, it'd be a pretty big watch to fit the battery.
    Protocol, not frequencies. 3G 850 uses more power than 2G 850.

In any case there do exist 3G watches on Band I, which should have similar per levels to AWS 3G. That suggests the problem isn't with trying to fit 3G into a watch. The problem is, nobody makes that kind of niche hardware for a niche frequency band.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Why don't you just get a proper belt holster, problem solved.

Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post

me! i missed that it is only GSM, but it would still work not only on Fido, as Rogers and Chat-r all have a GSM network as well.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
    me! i missed that it is only GSM, but it would still work not only on Fido, as Rogers and Chat-r all have a GSM network as well.
    Emphasize the singular "a GSM network", as there is only one but it just wears three different hats (plus MVNOs)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. Well, all said, I'm going back to Mobilicity, mostly because of the rates, and also, their signal seems to be very good in the parts of downtown TO that I frequent. It seems, because AWS is still a small market portion, on the worldwide scale, we can't expect much in the way of variety. At least Samsung has plenty of phones for AWS. My c414 flip phone is reliable at least. Might get a Galaxy Mini, being as they're on sale. Sure wish they would resurrect the 9110 watch-phone with an updated chipset. That product died a premature death due to being way overpriced and coming out during the iPhone craze.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    There is a whole new emphasis on watch phones this year so I am sure you could find something that would fit the need. The Pebble seems to be the one attracting the most attention.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score

Re: Smallest phone that will work on Mobilicity?

Quote Originally Posted by BARTHOleMEOW View Post
    There is a whole new emphasis on watch phones this year so I am sure you could find something that would fit the need. The Pebble seems to be the one attracting the most attention.
    The Pebble is a smart watch but not a phone. It communicates with a phone by Bluetooth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums