Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Apple sells over 2 million iPhone 5's in China on launch weekend

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Apple sells over 2 million iPhone 5's in China on launch weekend

Despite the best attempts and misinterpretations of the naysayers, it looks like Apple did fairly well (record setting well) in China with the iPhone 5, even without being available on the largest carrier in China.
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012...o-Million.html
    BEIJING—December 17, 2012—Apple® today announced it has sold over two million of its new iPhone® 5 in China, just three days after its launch on December 14. iPhone 5 will be available in more than 100 countries by the end of December, making it the fastest iPhone rollout ever.

“Customer response to iPhone 5 in China has been incredible, setting a new record with the best first weekend sales ever in China,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “China is a very important market for us and customers there cannot wait to get their hands on Apple products.”
    Apple was successful in avoiding the near riots, massive lines and scalper hoarding experienced during their previous product launches in China by implementing a strict limit on purchases and a reservation system. As elsewhere, demand seems very high.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Feedback Score
    I like that Apple can confidently release a number to tie to the success instead of those deceiving "We sold out of our initial stock" statements made popular by Amazon, MS Surface, and other non-relevant hardwares.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tendenzi View Post
    I like that Apple can confidently release a number to tie to the success instead of those deceiving "We sold out of our initial stock" statements made popular by Amazon, MS Surface, and other non-relevant hardwares.
    or the "Samsung Special": "We shipped X number of units".

cuz stuffing the channel is the same as sales in their world.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wasn't this reported in another thread?

By the way, all corporations use similar procedures to report inventory. Samsung does not operate its own retail stores so all they can report are units delivered to wholesalers and retailers.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Wasn't this reported in another thread?

By the way, all corporations use similar procedures to report inventory. Samsung does not operate its own retail stores so all they can report are units delivered to wholesalers and retailers.
    It was, but it seemed worthy of it's own thread. Seems like there is a thread started for every negative news story about Apple, so this was sort served a dual purpose of both balancing those threads and actually providing info for people that don't want to read through those trolling threads.

Apple's number's include sales through their retail and carrier partners not just through their own stores. If Apple can do that, so can Samsung.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Despite the best attempts and misinterpretations of the naysayers, it looks like Apple did fairly well (record setting well) in China with the iPhone 5, even without being available on the largest carrier in China.
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012...o-Million.html

Apple was successful in avoiding the near riots, massive lines and scalper hoarding experienced during their previous product launches in China by implementing a strict limit on purchases and a reservation system. As elsewhere, demand seems very high.
    Boring facts. Sensationalist headlines like "Only 1 person in line at iPhone 5 launch" are far more interesting to pundits and naysayers.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Boring facts. Sensationalist headlines like "Only 1 person in line at iPhone 5 launch" are far more interesting to pundits and naysayers.
    Maybe I should have made it sexier

"Apple breaks records with iPhone 5 launch in China!!!!!"
    "Apple sells an AMAZING 2 million iPhones at launch in China!!"

Feedback Score
    It was, but it seemed worthy of it's own thread. Seems like there is a thread started for every negative news story about Apple, so this was sort served a dual purpose of both balancing those threads and actually providing info for people that don't want to read through those trolling threads.

Apple's number's include sales through their retail and carrier partners not just through their own stores. If Apple can do that, so can Samsung.
    The worst are the likes of Amazon that will say sales are "4 times greater than last year" but having no reference of quantity leaving only speculations to assume how much has sold. Remember just last christmas 2011, the Kindle Fire was an iPad killer. Only to find out later on, that the Kindle Fire barely scratched the iPad marketshare, and were only serving to displace Samsung from second place to third.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-20...-price-stupid/
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397166,00.asp

LOL that was fun too last year.

Feedback Score
    Maybe I should have made it sexier

"Apple breaks records with iPhone 5 launch in China!!!!!"
    "Apple sells an AMAZING 2 million iPhones at launch in China!!"

If you wanted to emulate the success of other trolling threads you would have done even more like:

"Apple destroys Google and reclaims global dominance with over 16 trillion sales of iPhones"

Then link to a full story disclosing the actual facts plus providing a quote you forgot to read from the actual story saying the actual numbers.

And don't forget to provide some nonchalant commentary like "Oh my, oh my."

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    If you wanted to emulate the success of other trolling threads you would have done even more like:

"Apple destroys Google and reclaims global dominance with over 16 trillion sales of iPhones"

Then link to a full story disclosing the actual facts plus providing a quote you forgot to read from the actual story saying the actual numbers.

And don't forget to provide some nonchalant commentary like "Oh my, oh my."
    Hit the nail on the head there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Hit the nail on the head there.
    I forgot to add, that he should have also made sure it was posted in an Android forum. :P

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I forgot to add, that he should have also made sure it was posted in an Android forum. :P
    Nope, that would be trolling. I wasn't. My emulation only goes as far as my self respect will allow.

Device(s)
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No bad for not even selling phones on China's largest carrier. You can pick up an iPhone 5 for under $100 USD on contract there. No wonder they moved so many of them.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrsn1 View Post
    No bad for not even selling phones on China's largest carrier. You can pick up an iPhone 5 for under $100 USD on contract there. No wonder they moved so many of them.
    Probably helped a lot. The Apple stores were only selling unlocked units, starting at about $850. The carrier stores where they were being sold on contract with a subsidy were apparently swamped.
    http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/12/...5-china-sales/

Just one carrier, China Unicom, had over 300,000 units on pre-order, up from 200,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4S. Sounds like there was lots of excitement over the iPhone 5 in China.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Apple is able to tracks sales of all iPhones because you have to use Apple's servers to activate them. No other manufacturer has such tight controls over its products. With the other manufacturers, only the carrier is involved in activation.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast