Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 13 year old daughter needs a new phone...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

13 year old daughter needs a new phone...

We need to replace the current Mobilicity phone she has and I was looking at the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S 4G. Both seem to get good reviews with the Nexus coming out a little bit better. I'm not sure if all the additional features would benefit my daughter, so I'm hesitant to spend the $50, but would if the commonly used Mobilicity-dependant functions (phone, text, internet, etc.) out perform the other phone.

I'd appreciate any first-hand user experiences with either of these phone... even better if you've used both on Mobi.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeBee63 View Post
    We need to replace the current Mobilicity phone she has and I was looking at the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S 4G. Both seem to get good reviews with the Nexus coming out a little bit better. I'm not sure if all the additional features would benefit my daughter, so I'm hesitant to spend the $50, but would if the commonly used Mobilicity-dependant functions (phone, text, internet, etc.) out perform the other phone.

I'd appreciate any first-hand user experiences with either of these phone... even better if you've used both on Mobi.

Thanks and happy holidays!
    I've used both on mobilicity. This is how they compare:

The Galaxy S 4G is to the Galaxy Nexus as a Toyota is to a Lambourgini.
    Managed to get Mobilicity to act and improve on 4 items.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Get the Nexus. It will be supported longer.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quickinferno View Post
    I've used both on mobilicity. This is how they compare:

The Galaxy S 4G is to the Galaxy Nexus as a Toyota is to a Lambourgini.
    So one is inexpensive and reliable, and the other is seriously expensive and finicky to maintain?

Feedback Score
    Just get the Nexus. There is no match among them.

Nexus is so 2011. S 4g is so 2007.

Line 1: Wind50 for $45/M
    Line 2: Wish40 for $35/M
    Line 3: Wish40 for $35/M

Device(s)
    LG G3, MOTO G
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    in about 8 months both phones will be > 2 years old and crap with outdated hardware...dam technology and its perpetual innovation

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I think my 13 yo will be fine with either for a year or two, but just needed to know if the Nexus was worth the extra $50 or that maybe the S 4G was better

Feedback Score
    If you were to put both side by side in a store, at the prices of $199.99 and $249.99, I believe that you'd find it very difficult to get anyone to take the Vibrant (Galaxy 4G). The Galaxy Nexus is a much better media device. Yes, I chose my words very carefully there.

The Galaxy Nexus has a much faster CPU, much bigger and better quality screen, which also makes it easier to type on the touchscreen. It also is better for photos because of the LED flash. The Galaxy Nexus also officially supports the most recent versions of Android.

As a "phone", The Galaxy 4G might actually be better. While Samsung phones generally have very weak signal properties, the Galaxy Nexus takes that a step further and has an absolutely horrible cellular antenna in it.

Another thing to consider: How big are your daugther's fingers? Some people might have a hard time holding the Galaxy Nexus in their hands due to the size.

Carrier(s)
    ChatR (formerly Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    Is there a specific feature other than price appeals to you on the Galaxy S? Otherwise, the GNexus is a much better choice and has more flexibility in the future if you want to change carriers, vacation in the US or pass the phone onto someone else.

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Why does a 13 year old need a smartphone?

Anyways, no comparison between the two phones; Galaxy Nexus is a generation ahead of SGS1. Spend the extra 50.

Device(s)
    iPh 4, iPh 6+, Nexus S, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 :-)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido,... Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Insurge View Post
    Why does a 13 year old need a smartphone?
    An absolute must. Fifty years ago when I was 13, no problem. Now it's not safe to send your child across the street without communication let alone a block away to visit the friend.

Yes an absolute must, especially at 13.
    Irresistible35
    $35 ... Unlimited everything!
    ... On a Nexus 5

Feedback Score

^I respect your opinion, however, young people (kids & teenagers) might be more sensitive to cellphone radiation.

I personally wouldn't recommend a cellphone to young individuals. Nevertheless, I try to understand why looking for such sophisticate & expensive device for a young person? I don't even think it will last that long.

I suggest a basic & reliable Smartphone.

Hope this can help.
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daveEM View Post
    An absolute must. Fifty years ago when I was 13, no problem. Now it's not safe to send your child across the street without communication let alone a block away to visit the friend.

Yes an absolute must, especially at 13.
    I agree with you my friend. However, I don't think a 13 year old needs a $250 smartphone when a $50-75 feature phone (dumbphone) should be sufficient. Unless the kid in question is very tech savvy and wants to go into the field in the future, then by all means throw at them every technology you can to increase their interest and knowledge! In Grade 10 or so the average kid can upgrade to a smartphone.

Carrier(s)
    ChatR (formerly Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    I feel sorry for the OP, seems like he is getting chewed up here. He has asked a question about which phone is better, and instead is getting opinions about whether or not his daughter should have a smartphone.

No disrepect is meant towards anyone who posted in genuine concern. I'm not saying the arguments presented are without merit, but I think we should get back on topic to help the OP answer his original inquiry.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by insurge View Post
    i agree with you my friend. However, i don't think a 13 year old needs a $250 smartphone when a $50-75 feature phone (dumbphone) should be sufficient...
    x2

…………,…….

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast