Thread: GUIDE: YouMail on Fido

Feedback Score

Lightbulb GUIDE: YouMail on Fido

Guide on Setting up YouMail on Fido
    This took me a while. Fido customer service and online resources had some conflicting info, so I wanted to share a summary of what worked for me. This worked for me as a Fido customer in BC. I do not work for Fido or YouMail.

Reason for using YouMail on Fido for me:
    I grew accustomed to iOS’s Visual Voicemail. When switched away to WP8, was surprised that even so-called “Visual Voicemail” on WP8+Fido is basically a MMS with voicemail instead of a discrete visual inbox.

1) Cancel Fido Voicemail completely.
    - Dial 611 from Fido phone. Press 2 to speak to real person.
    - Cancel existing Fido Voicemail COMPLETELY. In my case I had to
    cancel a value-pack that included Voicemail + Call Display + Call Forwarding ($10)
    then add back on the Call Display ($7) + Call Forwarding ($3)
    - NOTE: If you do not get the $3 call forwarding plan you can still use YouMail, but everytime a call is forwarded to YouMail you will be billed 20cents per minute.

2) Create a YouMail account at YouMail.com.
    - Initially when asking YouMail to send a confirmation PIN to activate account, I received no texts
    - When trying to activate YouMail by phone it says “This phone number is not recognized.”
    - However 24hrs later I received the activation PINs originally requested

3) Find out your YouMail forwarding number:
    - Top tab SETTINGS
    - Left menu bar MY PHONES
    - Right side of screen shows 10-digit, local call forwarding number

4) Tell Fido to conditionally forward your calls to this 10-digit number:
    - You only want to forward calls missed/rejected. When I asked the rep to set this up for me she put me on unconditional forwarding and all calls immediately got forwarded. You don’t want this.
    - Turns out you can do this yourself:
    You have to input all 3 of these calls into your phone, using your 10-digit local call forwarding number
    *62*[10 digit]# Forward if out of reach
    *61*[10 digit]# Forward if no reply
    *67*[10 digit]# Forward if busy
    This is all listed on Fido website. I can't post links but you can easily google "Fido conditional forwarding"

Please note if you try to set this up before you officially cancel Fido’s own voicemail, then you will get an error message.

5) Download YouMail client on your smartphone from your app store
    iOS: YouMail
    Android: YouMail
    BlackBerry: YouMail
    Windows Phone 8: MagikMail
    - I’m on WP8 and I don’t see YouMail in appstore. MagikMail has worked very well to access the YouMail network for me.

You will need to log into YouMail via client using your YouMail PIN.

6) Call yourself to check if forwarding works.

Done correctly: “The youmail user at xxx-xxx-xxxx can’t come to the phone right now. Please leave a message.”

Troubleshooting:
    You get your old Fido voicemail prompt. Fido Voicemail hasn’t been cancelled. Step 1.
    You get just a hang-up. Fido voicemail is cancelled, but the call is not being forwarded to YouMail properly. Step 3+4.

7) Optional: Log into YouMail and play with the settings.
    - Default YouMail notifies you by Email, Text & YouMail client about every single missed call and voicemail. Tweak these especially you plan on travelling and don’t want to roam a lot of SMS.
    - Change greeting. A free personal greeting will say “Hello Pamela, David is unavailable right now.” If the call ID shows a person on your contact list. Very nifty.
    - Transcription service (paid). YouMail transcribes voicemail into text. You can receive this text transcription via SMS/Email/In-App.

Hope that works for everyone, good luck!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help. I got pretty far but...still no dice. I called Fido and had the voicemail on my 56$ Smart Plan disabled. 2500 minutes of call forwarding are included so I dont need to worry about that. Dialed *004*4168001111# for Toronto (local) access and phone confirmed the conditional call forwarding has been enabled. When I run the test call, it fails. When my gf calls me, a female robot asks her to enter her full phone number. Any idea why its not working??

Feedback Score

Youmail No Longer Works On Fido.

Up until July 15, 2013 Youmail worked great on Fido and the top post above was very helpful in helping me to set it up. Thank you yellowfungus. However, Fido did something to their network, and Youmail no longer works on Fido. I suspect this has something to do with Fido trying to charge $9 per month for visual voicemail! I'll burn in hell before I pay them that!

Here is the response I received from Youmail Support on July 22, 2013 after reporting the problem described above:

"What's happening is when people call your phone, your carrier tends to drop your phone number so what we're getting is an empty call and our system doesn't know to which inbox to send the calls.

Resetting the YouMail activation number usually fixes this issue. The problem is we only have 587-333-8581 as our general access number in Calgary, AB and Fido charges long distance using an access number that is outside your calling area.

Since we cannot ask the carrier to fix this problem, we implemented the use of the personal access number to resolve this issue at our end. We have available personal access number with 403 area code. If you would you want to try using a YouMail personal access number (free for 1 month) to check if it will work in your phone. We use personal numbers that can only be used by 1 YouMail customer to make the call forwarding sticky. Our system can only assign these numbers to premium accounts as it cost us monthly maintenance.

If it works, you will have to convert to premium user. Our system will remove the dedicated access number from your account after 1 month if it detects that you haven't converted to premium.

Our premium plan starts at 2.99/month or 29.99/year
    store.youmail.com/store/home.do

We're not trying to upsell you but this is the only solution that is guaranteed to work.

Please let us know.

Regards,
    Irish"

Device(s)
    I phone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    hi, do you have youmail working now?
    im just trying to set it up on my gs4 but youmail does not seem to acknowledge the 416 800 1111 number

Quote Originally Posted by nexi4 View Post
    Up until July 15, 2013 Youmail worked great on Fido and the top post above was very helpful in helping me to set it up. Thank you yellowfungus. However, Fido did something to their network, and Youmail no longer works on Fido. I suspect this has something to do with Fido trying to charge $9 per month for visual voicemail! I'll burn in hell before I pay them that!

Here is the response I received from Youmail Support on July 22, 2013 after reporting the problem described above:

"What's happening is when people call your phone, your carrier tends to drop your phone number so what we're getting is an empty call and our system doesn't know to which inbox to send the calls.

Resetting the YouMail activation number usually fixes this issue. The problem is we only have 587-333-8581 as our general access number in Calgary, AB and Fido charges long distance using an access number that is outside your calling area.

Since we cannot ask the carrier to fix this problem, we implemented the use of the personal access number to resolve this issue at our end. We have available personal access number with 403 area code. If you would you want to try using a YouMail personal access number (free for 1 month) to check if it will work in your phone. We use personal numbers that can only be used by 1 YouMail customer to make the call forwarding sticky. Our system can only assign these numbers to premium accounts as it cost us monthly maintenance.

If it works, you will have to convert to premium user. Our system will remove the dedicated access number from your account after 1 month if it detects that you haven't converted to premium.

Our premium plan starts at 2.99/month or 29.99/year
    store.youmail.com/store/home.do

We're not trying to upsell you but this is the only solution that is guaranteed to work.

Please let us know.

Regards,
    Irish"

Feedback Score

Lightbulb Update

Hi all,

Around mid-July 2013 something changed on Fido's end. I abruptly started getting this error:

http://support.youmail.com/hc/en-us/...-Prompt-Error-

on both my phone and my wife's phone, just like Orlando and Nexi above.

I followed Youmail's instructions to call Fido and ask for Tier 2 tech support to discuss OCN Caller ID Packet issues. Some Tier 2's had no idea what i was talking about, most fundamentally have no idea how Youmail works and keep reading me their training manual about how to operate Fido voicemail. Finally reached one Tier 2 that understood the issue, but said because I'm on an unsupported handset (Fido is still non-WP8 friendly) he can't help me.

I gave up, I got the Youmail personal voicemail number and have been on Youmail happily since. I'm sorry I haven't posted earlier.

In Vancouver, I was unable to find a local personal number, so I had to get a 438-area code number (Quebec?). I have unlimited Canada LD on my plan so it hasn't been an issue but for other Fido users, paying LD everytime you miss a call would probably be absurd.

Good luck!