Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mobilicity Discrimination to Existing Customers

Feedback Score

Mobilicity Discrimination to Existing Customers

WARNING TO EXISTING MOBILICITY CUSTOMERS!!!

There is blatant discrimination against existing customers when trying to get the phones at the boxing week sale price!!! I went to a corporate store (Ottawa Rideau Location) and they told me they had two handsets left for 'new activations' only. So I asked them when they plan on getting more in stock. They said for existing customers there will be stock next week when the phone goes back up to the $599.99 price!

You're telling me that during the biggest shopping season of the year, they will not restock the phone for existing customers, but only for 'new activations'!?

I called 611 and they just gave me phone numbers for other corporate stores!! Ridiculous.

This is False Advertising and SHADY business practices at best.

If I am in the wrong, i'll gladly take it all back but right now I'm Fuming Mad!!!

I posted on Mobilicity's FB page, and sent Tweets to @mobilicity and @stephenlyons.

Next step is to write corporate.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

Rideau Street is dealer, not corporate; Bayshore is the only corporate

Quote Originally Posted by Kerlo View Post
    WARNING TO EXISTING MOBILICITY CUSTOMERS!!!

There is blatant discrimination against existing customers when trying to get the phones at the boxing week sale price!!! I went to a corporate store (Ottawa Rideau Location) and they told me they had two handsets left for 'new activations' only. So I asked them when they plan on getting more in stock. They said for existing customers there will be stock next week when the phone goes back up to the $599.99 price!
    This Mobilicity store is an authorized dealer, not a corporate store. The only corporate store in Ottawa is at the Bayshore Shopping Centre. i've had problems with most dealers, but corporate store is nice and friendly.

You're telling me that during the biggest shopping season of the year, they will not restock the phone for existing customers, but only for 'new activations'!?

I called 611 and they just gave me phone numbers for other corporate stores!! Ridiculous.
    This is also a problem at some Wind dealers. It has to do with commission, which pays them more for new activations than existing ones. It's not right, but it happens. And as noted above, there is only one Mobilicity corporate store in Ottawa at Bayshore. Any other store is a dealer.

This is False Advertising and SHADY business practices at best.

If I am in the wrong, i'll gladly take it all back but right now I'm Fuming Mad!!!

I posted on Mobilicity's FB page, and sent Tweets to @mobilicity and @stephenlyons.

Next step is to write corporate.
    What you say is right: new customers should be treated the same way as existing ones. Note that you need to tweet @StewartLyons (perhaps you wrote Stephen instead out of frustration). Stewart should be able to help you.

Feedback Score
    We can debate all day if stores should have that policy. I personally believe that it just upsets customers. But remember, just as customers can choose not to buy Mobilicity phones, stores can simply choose not to sell.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LABcrab View Post
    This Mobilicity store is an authorized dealer, not a corporate store. The only corporate store in Ottawa is at the Bayshore Shopping Centre. i've had problems with most dealers, but corporate store is nice and friendly.

This is also a problem at some Wind dealers. It has to do with commission, which pays them more for new activations than existing ones. It's not right, but it happens. And as noted above, there is only one Mobilicity corporate store in Ottawa at Bayshore. Any other store is a dealer.
    Yeah, if that's the case then it's even more ridiculous, cause 611 gave me the numbers for Bank street and Montreal road as 'corporate stores' and the mobi website says that the Rideau one is a Mobi Store and a service centre.

Quote Originally Posted by LABcrab View Post
    What you say is right: new customers should be treated the same way as existing ones. Note that you need to tweet @StewartLyons (perhaps you wrote Stephen instead out of frustration). Stewart should be able to help you.
    Yeah . . . I mis-typed that. I tweeted the right guy, Stewart Lyons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by computergeek541 View Post
    We can debate all day if stores should have that policy. I personally believe that it just upsets customers. But remember, just as customers can choose not to buy Mobilicity phones, stores can simply choose not to sell.
    Aren't there laws against this?? To me it's pretty much synonymous with saying, "i'm not selling to you because you're black." Discrimination is Discrimination.

Feedback Score
    Aren't there laws against this?? To me it's pretty much synonymous with saying, "i'm not selling to you because you're black." Discrimination is Discrimination.
    The Ontario Human Rights Code is set up so to prevent discrimination based on race, sex, disability, age, and 11 other reasons. Pre-existing versus new customer doesn't even come close to making the cut. The store doesn't have to sell and it is the store's right to refuse to do business with you. "I'm not selling to you because you're black" would be illegal. Not selling a cell phone to you as an existing customer is a business decision that any company is allowed to make, as long as the decision is not based on one of the prohibited reasons (race, sex, disability,age, etc.).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by computergeek541 View Post
    In Ontario, the Ontario Human Rights Code is a law set up so to prevent discrimination based on race, sex, disability, age, etc. Pre-existing versus new customer doesn't even come close to making the cut. The store doesn't have to sell and it is the store's right to refuse to do business with you. "I'm not selling to you because you're black" would be illegal. Not selling a cell phone to you as an existing customer is a business decision that any company is allowed to make, as long as the decision is not based on one of the prohibited reasons (race, sex, disability,age, etc.).
    Thank you for the information! I guess it just all shows a lack of respect and loyalty to business of existing customers.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

Re: Mobilicity Discrimination to Existing Customers

Honestly I'm not surprised. Mobilicity and Wind policies are totally backwards and messed up. In some ways mobilicity is ahead of wind as you can buy the mobilicity phone as a existing customer but you should be able to get the sale price as it is a sale price. At wind only new activations on pay after buying on a wind tab can get the new phones like s3 and note 2. I was really wanting to get the s3 at the sale price but it won't be happening for me at least I wish the best of luck to you getting the s3 at sale price.

Sent from my HTC Panache using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Feel free to try to find something in there, if you wish: http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en . But I'm certain that nothing protects your right to buy a product as an existing customer of the service.

If anything, this is really a customer service issue.

Feedback Score

Re: Mobilicity Discrimination to Existing Customers

I disagree with the way Mobilicity treats existing customers as well. If you have been treated badly or you feel that you have been misled, or not treated fairly: contact @stewartlyons or [email protected].

Sent from my SGH-T889V using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Thanks Everyone! If you have more stories like this one from Corporate stores, please post them here.

I really like Mobilicity mainly because it's not one of the Big 3 and it has realistic rates, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts based on my current experience with them.

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Activate a new line at their lowest rate and then cancel next week?

Feedback Score
    If you have more stories like this one from Corporate stores, please post them here.
    There are thousands of stories from both Mobilicity and Wind customers that are exactly like yours, mostly coming from dealings with dealerships (where I personally would never shop myself).

At the end of the day, it's a game of numbers. Dealers want to make higher commissions, and they will do so by signing up new people, instead of selling phones to existing customers, making very little or no money at all as a result. Wind and Mobilicity, as a whole, also benefit greatly from new activations, even if they lose a few existing customers along the way due to these practices.

You can create a stink, and I fully support it, but don't think that Mobilicity doesn't know this. They are perfectly aware. On paper, the policy that they have right now increases their overall subscriber base, and, as a growing company, that's all that matters for the time being.

Forget "loyalty". Mobilicity is a business selling you service. You, as an individual, are a nobody to them. That's just how it is. Vote with your wallet. If you feel offended - leave; if you like the rates - stay.

But yes, definitely make some noise about it, because staying silent accomplishes nothing.

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-I337M
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I personally voted with my wallet and this was one of the reasons I left (not the only one of course). I recently received an e-mail from Mobilicity asking me to come back. Encountering this thread showing me that nothing has changed of course made me completely ignore the e-mail

Carrier(s)
    Dog pound
    Feedback Score
    Before you all get your panties in a bind on this thread, just remember that Mobilicity behaves no differently than any other mobile dealer network in Canada.

I quit Fido in February this year and before exiting, wanted to use my Fido dollars (which will soon be as notorious as Camel Cash once they figure out that cell phones cause cancer ) to buy a new handset as an exit gift that I could monetize on Kijiji. The first two dealers told me to go to hell, the third dealer finally capitulated and sold me one, even as an upstanding customer with 2.5 years history and several (angry) months of $300 Fido bills.

So is Mobilicity being a pain in the arse by doing this? Yes. Different than the devil you don't know? Not really.

~millergd~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast