Thread: Corporate vs. indirect/agents

Device(s)
    LG Octane
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Corporate vs. indirect/agents

Hi everybody,

I am a full-time university student. It looks like I will need to get a part-time job. I am definitely considering doing something cell phone-related. I currently have Verizon service, so Verizon is my first choice as to which company I would like to work with.

Could you all please help me consider pros and cons of working at a VZW corporate store vs. a VZW agent? Of course, money is great, but I am also concerned about being able to focus on my schoolwork. I understand that the level of flexibility offered would depend on which agent I worked for, but do you have any general insights as to whether it would be better for a full-time student to work at a VZW corporate store or a VZW agent?

Thanks a million!

-JDM

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    No easy answer. There are good agents and bad agents. On balance, based on quality of work life, find a good agent if you can. Don't limit yourself to this industry of course.

Device(s)
    LG Octane
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    No easy answer. There are good agents and bad agents. On balance, based on quality of work life, find a good agent if you can. Don't limit yourself to this industry of course.
    Thank you for your insight. Do you know if Diamond Wireless would offer a high quality of work life?

Feedback Score

lol. Sorry, I find this funny. Kid, you talk part time - this isn't Burger King. It's a very involved industry that if you want to get into it awesome, but to put a part timer focus on it - focus your attention elsewhere. Doing it part time, if you actually find some willing to accept a part timer (I never will) - isn't going to help you be successful.

Feedback Score
    damn starfish....

Name:  1255.gif
Views: 1111
Size:  41.6 KB

Feedback Score

Yeah I know. I have to keep myself filtered with all I deal with ...hofo let's me get sine of that aggression out!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Direct Store probably isnt going to hire part time.
    Indirect probably isnt going to fire you if you dont hit sales goals.
    In my experience, most indirect stores have staffing issues and need all the help they can get.

Feedback Score
    It takes a good 1.5 months to train a simi passable sales rep.
    That wont chase customer away. It takes a good 3 month
    to have a team member you can rely on. And thats working full time.

And thats if they work full time. A typical indirect sales rep should make around 32k . After bonous and comission.

that kind of entry level pay demands somebody dedicated.

Nobody is seriously going to hire a part timer.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I think it takes a year or longer to leave someone alone in the store, without immediate owner level backup via phone, without worrying they might screw something up.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well since you are on an indirect forum I am sure the opinions will be a little skewed. However, I would say if you are planning on doing this short term go with corporate. I you want to stay around in this industry then there is more opportunities for advancement in the indirect channel. But choose your agents wisely. Some are very demanding with poor or no benefits and there are some good agents with great work hours and great benefits. Like many franchise it varies greatly on the owner.

Device(s)
    Droid DNA
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Schulert View Post
    Well since you are on an indirect forum I am sure the opinions will be a little skewed. However, I would say if you are planning on doing this short term go with corporate. I you want to stay around in this industry then there is more opportunities for advancement in the indirect channel. But choose your agents wisely. Some are very demanding with poor or no benefits and there are some good agents with great work hours and great benefits. Like many franchise it varies greatly on the owner.
    I would beg to differ. If you're interested in the industry, corporate is the way to go. Depending on what your college degree is in, corporate employment with VZW will be an added bonus when you graduate, if your field of study will cover something the company will need to staff. Indirect agents can be good, but beware of ones who only have a few stores. They might seem like they're great, but there is little room for advancement.

Device(s)
    Droid DNA
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chong Lee View Post
    It takes a good 1.5 months to train a simi passable sales rep.
    That wont chase customer away. It takes a good 3 month
    to have a team member you can rely on. And thats working full time.

And thats if they work full time. A typical indirect sales rep should make around 32k . After bonous and comission.

that kind of entry level pay demands somebody dedicated.

Nobody is seriously going to hire a part timer.
    I've been in this business for a few years and have seen people become rather able after a couple months of part time work. It is of course recommended that they work full time or close to it for the first couple of months. At the end of the day it comes down to the person. If someone's motivated, bright, and likes tech and is good with people, they can learn the ropes pretty quickly. Granted they will need some team help in the beginning, but that's what the teams are for.

I agree that full time employees are generally better, but I've hired part timers who kicked butt.

Device(s)
    Droid DNA
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    I think it takes a year or longer to leave someone alone in the store, without immediate owner level backup via phone, without worrying they might screw something up.
    I think it highly depends on the trainer. At the end of the day though, you're right. New people will need support from time to time, but if the staff is structured well, the support will always be available, and no major problems should arise.

The problem is usually finding the right people. You get all these bozo potheads applying thinking this is like working at a Game Stop. Then it comes down to poor management, and so forth.