Thread: Question about rooting..

Feedback Score

Question about rooting..

TOTAL NOOB ALERT RIGHT HERE!!!!!!

So I am curious but rooting is pretty much the admin ability for a phone...right? So would it be safe to root my phone just for one app? Its the LEDS U CTRL for the xperia u.. if i download the app and unroot the phone would the app still work? I dont plan on upgrading to ICS or flashing anything...just rooting for the apps. Now also if i root it is the app something i have to flash over or is it in app store? If I root the phone am i going to have to fix anything or does everything stay the same?

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xXLuxaeternaXx View Post

So I am curious but rooting is pretty much the admin ability for a phone...right? So would it be safe to root my phone just for one app? Its the LEDS U CTRL for the xperia u.. if i download the app and unroot the phone would the app still work? I dont plan on upgrading to ICS or flashing anything...just rooting for the apps. Now also if i root it is the app something i have to flash over or is it in app store? If I root the phone am i going to have to fix anything or does everything stay the same?
    That is exactly what rooting is. In windows it is akin to Admin access, in linux Speak it is super user (sudo) access.

As for "is it safe to root your phone for just one app". The answer is maybe "Safe" is going to depend on your level of skill and willingness to learn. You are going to have to unlock the bootloader, then flash/install su. You are probably going to need to setup the Android SDK and Fastboot and at least be familiar with the Command line/Dos prompt.

My recollection of my friend's xperia was that he had to unlock the bootloader first, and that he needed to use sony's site to do that. Once done, you get no more official updates, and no more warranty - as long as you are okay with that.

I just looked, there is a Wiki for your phone over at XDA - http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Sony_Xperia_U

If you decide to do it, good luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    That is exactly what rooting is. In windows it is akin to Admin access, in linux Speak it is super user (sudo) access.

As for "is it safe to root your phone for just one app". The answer is maybe "Safe" is going to depend on your level of skill and willingness to learn. You are going to have to unlock the bootloader, then flash/install su. You are probably going to need to setup the Android SDK and Fastboot and at least be familiar with the Command line/Dos prompt.

My recollection of my friend's xperia was that he had to unlock the bootloader first, and that he needed to use sony's site to do that. Once done, you get no more official updates, and no more warranty - as long as you are okay with that.

I just looked, there is a Wiki for your phone over at XDA - http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Sony_Xperia_U

If you decide to do it, good luck!
    Well the phone is factory unlocked so I dont need to worry about that part. So i cant use something like superoneclick? If I wanna root my phone i absolutely HAVE to download and install roms and stuff to my phone...i cant just root it and done?

Device(s)
    Motorola Nexus 6 (shamu), Motorola Moto G LTE XT-1045 (peregrine), SGH-T889V Galaxy Note II (t0lte)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo,T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Factory unlock in this case refers to SIM unlocked. Not bootloader unlocked.

Read, read, read. Until you have a decent understanding of what you're about to do.
    One easy way to mess up is mixing things from another incompatible device.

Two main forums to get started: XDA and RootzWiki.

You need to keep root in order to use those apps that use root privileges. In some respects root removes safeties, but also gives you much more complete control.

And once you are rooted, nothing stops you from trying additional apps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisR View Post
    Factory unlock in this case refers to SIM unlocked. Not bootloader unlocked.

Read, read, read. Until you have a decent understanding of what you're about to do.
    One easy way to mess up is mixing things from another incompatible device.

Two main forums to get started: XDA and RootzWiki.

You need to keep root in order to use those apps that use root privileges. In some respects root removes safeties, but also gives you much more complete control.

And once you are rooted, nothing stops you from trying additional apps.
    And thats where my total noobness comes into play haha sorry. So one question that didnt get answered...if i root my phone do i have to flash new roms and whatnot over or is everything the same just rooted? I guess what im saying is will i have a perfectly fine working phone JUST rooting it...or do i need to flash stuff over to get it working again?

Feedback Score
    You can simply root the phone without installing custom ROMs, etc. Also, when I rooted my HTC Droid Incredible 2 I used a simple graphical tool called Revolutionary and didn't have to use the command line at all. That probably depends on what phone you have.

You use an Xperia U, correct?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkwyde View Post
    You can simply root the phone without installing custom ROMs, etc. Also, when I rooted my HTC Droid Incredible 2 I used a simple graphical tool called Revolutionary and didn't have to use the command line at all. That probably depends on what phone you have.

You use an Xperia U, correct?
    Well im buying a factory unlocked xperia u for use on straight talk yes. Im going to do all this before i activate the phone hopefully if i learn how. So all i would be doing to root the phone is factory resetting it and rooting no need for anything else? Good. So i unlock bootloader then root phone..yes? Any and all help would be much appreciated

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    And thats where my total noobness comes into play haha sorry. So one question that didnt get answered...if i root my phone do i have to flash new roms and whatnot over or is everything the same just rooted? I guess what im saying is will i have a perfectly fine working phone JUST rooting it...or do i need to flash stuff over to get it working again?
    You do not have to flash new roms. For example, on my MyTOuch4gSlide, I rooted it to just get rid of the t-mobile bloat and free up some memory.

I cannot stress enough that you need to read, re read and read again. Use that link for the wiki at xda and read it until you feel comfortable with what it is saying. Ask questions. Visit the Xperia section at XDA and read through the forums. It is not enough to feel comfortable with following the instructions, read the forums to find out what happens when things go catastrophically wrong and what it took to fix it. That not only teaches you, it prepares you in case something goes wrong and especially what NOT TO DO. Get the android sdk loaded on your computer as well as fast boot and get used to using it. If you haven't used the Command Line Interpreter / Dos Window read through the wiki about what commands are used and how to use them.

In terms of what you are doing. I would strongly suspect that you need to unlock the bootloader first so you have access to the file system and can load the su files. (This is *NOT* the same as an unlocked/sim unlocked phone). Then you need to load the su files and binaries. After that you will have root, read the xda wiki I linked above for specific instructions. Next, I would download and run Rom Manager (buy the program, it is the best 4 bucks you will ever spend if you are going to work with rooting/romming phones) and make a Nandroid back up of your current configuration so that in the event you mess something up, you can restore where you are. After that load Titanium Backup and back up your apps. Then load your led app and anything else you want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    You do not have to flash new roms. For example, on my MyTOuch4gSlide, I rooted it to just get rid of the t-mobile bloat and free up some memory.

I cannot stress enough that you need to read, re read and read again. Use that link for the wiki at xda and read it until you feel comfortable with what it is saying. Ask questions. Visit the Xperia section at XDA and read through the forums. It is not enough to feel comfortable with following the instructions, read the forums to find out what happens when things go catastrophically wrong and what it took to fix it. That not only teaches you, it prepares you in case something goes wrong and especially what NOT TO DO. Get the android sdk loaded on your computer as well as fast boot and get used to using it. If you haven't used the Command Line Interpreter / Dos Window read through the wiki about what commands are used and how to use them.

In terms of what you are doing. I would strongly suspect that you need to unlock the bootloader first so you have access to the file system and can load the su files. (This is *NOT* the same as an unlocked/sim unlocked phone). Then you need to load the su files and binaries. After that you will have root, read the xda wiki I linked above for specific instructions. Next, I would download and run Rom Manager (buy the program, it is the best 4 bucks you will ever spend if you are going to work with rooting/romming phones) and make a Nandroid back up of your current configuration so that in the event you mess something up, you can restore where you are. After that load Titanium Backup and back up your apps. Then load your led app and anything else you want.
    Oh dear haha..this is gonna be a long process...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1933985

thats what i have to go by...anything else not mentioned ill need?

Device(s)
    HTC Sensation XE
    Feedback Score

Hey xXLuxaeternaXx

Rooting your phone has advantages and also so disadvantages..so its better to sacrifice your needs just for one app..rather than voiding your warranty!!

Cheers
    Norman