Thread: Just got ZTE Avid and got questions such as how connect to PC

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Just got ZTE Avid and got questions such as how connect to PC

Phone has option to connect to PC, yet cannot figure out how to mount as a hard drive. I want (as did with recent Admire and Code) to transfer document files (txt, pdf, doc, etc., not photos) between computer and phone. I tried all options under under Connect Types: charge only / media device MTP / camera PTP / share mobile network / install driver. If anyone has done this, can you tell me how in baby step by step?

------------Side Note, if anyone interested in my experience with ZTE Avid so far:----------------
    In general: happy with it, especially its larger screen. For negatives, I have spent a half day trying to get around them. In specific, my so-far 21 item list of complaints includes the soft glass that scratches when touched, low volume even at highest, washed out colors, unsharp movie play no matter what player used, low resolution front camera, few photo and video camera options, inadequate software management features, sd card not easily accessible to fast switch out, unable to find backup batteries on Ebay, fast battery exhaustion or very low battery life with 4G running, instruction manual in the box illiterate and inadequate not covering half the features of the phone, phone charger that way overheats till hot to touch, inability of XP computer to recognize it unless forced then it fails to show up in My Computer, too wide with a case on it to fit in shirt pocket, and so on. Code and Admire a breeze to use compared to Avid. Even though I have numerous issues with this phone, most solved so far in two days of ownership. I expected my Backup app could restore contacts and calendar entries, and this phone would no permit that to happen. Phone seems recalcitrant - it would not get internet when purchased, not 3G or 1x, nothing for many hours later after I left store. Absolutely no 4G on phone when purchased at 10am last Saturday - so used home wifi, then about 8pm that night icon for 4G appeared. If not for our wifi that means no internet for ten hours after purchase at a MetroPCS main store. Application issues: I found that several often used softwares from previous phones do not work - such as Compass and File Manager and Task Killer and Jota among others. Although some worked again after I went to Play and re-downloaded them (instead of relying on backup), while still others did not. Syncing with Google Calendar fails as does Contacts, so after hours of labor and search for solutions, decided to buy an app so sophisticated I have yet figure out how to use it and want to, as it claims to allow for sync both ways between cell and Google Calender. Phone loaded with MetroPCS apps I want to get rid of - so if anyone can tell me how to delete those apps, waiting to hear.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Update. Finally got calendars to sync. So when I enter a date or event on phone calendar, this info syncs to Google Calendar, and can make reverse happen as well.

Baffled why operating newer phones like this has become aggravating and exhausting to get them to work properly. I just spent three hours researching and trying ways to get this android phone to appear on my computer as a hard drive. Learned about this MTP or Media Transfer Protocol at Microsoft web: "enables you to manage content on any portable device with storage." MS required me to run a tool online to validate my Windows installation before permitting a download. Still did not solve my problem. Still waiting to hear if anyone has done this - and how.

Btw, in spite of these hurdles (and I do expect more), I still favor this phone. Would not recommend it because wishing pain on someone else. One new positive point: I find I can clearly hear phone calls on it while in street traffic noise, something not possible with my previous Admire and Code phones.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Couple of new POSITIVES for Avid: I can without issues run ftp on it and view my front security camera, using apps from Play. Couple more NEGATIVES: Phone will not run any Compass apps, though I tried a half dozen. Sent email to ZTE tech support asking if this phone capable, and whether it has accelerometer, and few other questions - a week has gone by with no reply.

4G on this phone rapidly runs down battery, so I keep it wifi connected as much as possible during day. However, when I wander out of range, phone switches to 4G and without knowing it battery drains fast. This morning while watching my front security camera on it, battery icon showed power drop by almost a fourth.

As stated before, Settings do not offer a lot of refinements I found on previous two phones, leading me to feel this ZTE Avid has dumbed down technology.