Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 61

Thread: Possible Blackberry Z10 shortages at launch?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,762
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2travel View Post
    If security aspect of the mobile phone is not a concern, then please EXPLAIN why many corporate CEOs including Wynne Powell of London Drugs are still carrying both a Blackberry AND an iOS phone?!?

    Yes, while modern phones are advanced enough to provide secured communications, phones are portable removable storage devices which are not all necessary approved ISO security devices either. Many companies have security clauses (mine does) that the employee has to sign to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) into the corporate environment that you have to "guarantee" to the company that your phone will not leak confidential information out to the public or you may be subjected to employment termination. How would an average non-IT savvy CEO, manager or even government worker do this? Most people do not want to shoulder that kind of responsibility, so they take their company's Blackberry phone with them and transfer their responsibility to the company's IT department for any security concerns. ...
    Of course, many companies are going exclusively BYOD for phones. They no longer supply phones/plans to employees at all. If an employee wants corporate email, they must supply their own phone, and perhaps are allowed to expense a portion of the bill. That trend has been part of RIM's problem as consumer choice ends up dictating what gets used. Combine that with the price difference between Exchange Activesync and BES, and things have been looking pretty grim. Of course, BB10 bas native Activesync, so maybe that price difference isn't as big a factor now.

    I hope RIM is providing a device that consumers will want. Ultimately, I believe that based on the evidence of the last few years, RIM needs to appeal to individual consumers to thrive.

    Part of the security argument around BES, with its extensive security and device management features, and native Activesync revolves around what kind of data companies have in email. If you have very sensitive customer data in email (e.g. account numbers, medical information, SSN/SIN, etc.) security is paramount. Companies with a culture/policies around keeping the most sensitive data out of email have an easier time of it.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    405
    Device(s)
    Blackberry 9900 Bold
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just noticed today that Telus has changed their shipping dates for all colours to the 12th. Originally black units were the 4th, and white were the 12th. I tweeted them and their response appears to indicate demand has exceeded initial supply, but if you got your order in early enough then yours will ship out the 4th.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Monmouth Jct
    Posts
    4,591
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (current)
    Feedback Score
    0

    Possible Blackberry Z10 shortages at launch?

    Quote Originally Posted by luv2travel View Post
    If security aspect of the mobile phone is not a concern, then please EXPLAIN why many corporate CEOs including Wynne Powell of London Drugs are still carrying both a Blackberry AND an iOS phone?!?
    First: don't put words in my mouth. Mobile device security in general IS a concern. Thankfully, other platforms have security protocols baked in that are proven to be just as good.

    Anyway, the CEO of London Drugs - you know, the EPITOME of IT know-how, I'm sure - does what he does for the same reason people still change the oil in their cars every 3,000 miles: ingrained habit and continued perpetuation of old ideas. RIM has no reason to educate their userbase about other secure communication platforms. If their users keep believing that they, and only they, provide secure mobile computing, so much the better from their point of view.


    Most people do not want to shoulder that kind of responsibility, so they take their company's Blackberry phone with them and transfer their responsibility to the company's IT department for any security concerns.
    Yup! If the IT department has to justify the added expense of a BES server, or the staff prefers not to have to brush up on security, they'll just lasso everyone into the idea that if they want to keep their jobs, they should get a Blackberry.


    Has the OS been proven? Sure it does. It's in the Playbook before it became BB10. It's running QNX if you haven't noticed and I've used it and the security level on the Playbook is way better than my iPad that my company does not recommend using.
    On what grounds? Explain how the Playbook is more secure than the iPad.

    Left: iPhone 6+ on T-Mobile. Right: Comcast home internet connection.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Monmouth Jct
    Posts
    4,591
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (current)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauder2 View Post
    Show me another platform with the same kind of security certification as BlackBerry OS if they can "easily match" the security.
    Any device with Good running on it. Including iOS:

    https://www.good.com:4663/products/m...e-security.php

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    I & I, is Everywhere
    Posts
    6,123
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
    Any device with Good running on it. Including iOS:

    https://www.good.com:4663/products/m...e-security.php
    Yeah ... yet another Gartner (paid to) recommendation. GoodTechnologies is also the ONLY other user of NTP's patents, yet has changed hands 3 times since their inception for ownership!! Not a stable investment to rely on just by that measure alone. you ALSO forgot to mention that GoodTechnologies REQUIRES a CLOUD and Hardware based solution (to be placed behind your firewall) to equal BES' management offerings.

    One last thing that maybe critical to many is that GoodTechnologies sandboxes their solution for iOS/Android (which I'm sure RIM would have to as well as any other company not using the rinky-dink API's both offer for what is loosely called management). This CHANGES the end user experience.

    No thanks.

    IMPORTANT: No FIPS rating at ALL; so NOT as secure.
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    234
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus & iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Of course, many companies are going exclusively BYOD for phones. They no longer supply phones/plans to employees at all. If an employee wants corporate email, they must supply their own phone, and perhaps are allowed to expense a portion of the bill. That trend has been part of RIM's problem as consumer choice ends up dictating what gets used. Combine that with the price difference between Exchange Activesync and BES, and things have been looking pretty grim. Of course, BB10 bas native Activesync, so maybe that price difference isn't as big a factor now.

    I hope RIM is providing a device that consumers will want. Ultimately, I believe that based on the evidence of the last few years, RIM needs to appeal to individual consumers to thrive.

    Part of the security argument around BES, with its extensive security and device management features, and native Activesync revolves around what kind of data companies have in email. If you have very sensitive customer data in email (e.g. account numbers, medical information, SSN/SIN, etc.) security is paramount. Companies with a culture/policies around keeping the most sensitive data out of email have an easier time of it.
    As far as I know, people who bring BYOD devices to companies to be used in a corporate environment are basically people who do have the means to access these RIM phones but they dislike the UI and its effectiveness compared to Android and iOS devices so they want to use theirs. But I think we are discussing different security protocols. Certainly, low security staff members in a corporate environment do not need highly secured phones so there is a good point in bringing in their own phones.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,762
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0

    Possible Blackberry Z10 shortages at launch?

    Quote Originally Posted by luv2travel View Post
    As far as I know, people who bring BYOD devices to companies to be used in a corporate environment are basically people who do have the means to access these RIM phones but they dislike the UI and its effectiveness compared to Android and iOS devices so they want to use theirs. But I think we are discussing different security protocols. Certainly, low security staff members in a corporate environment do not need highly secured phones so there is a good point in bringing in their own phones.
    It really depends on what kind of data you have in your email system. Companies without very sensitive data in their email systems and that are exclusively BYOD aren't likely to have many BB users left.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    234
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus & iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
    First: don't put words in my mouth. Mobile device security in general IS a concern. Thankfully, other platforms have security protocols baked in that are proven to be just as good.

    Anyway, the CEO of London Drugs - you know, the EPITOME of IT know-how, I'm sure - does what he does for the same reason people still change the oil in their cars every 3,000 miles: ingrained habit and continued perpetuation of old ideas. RIM has no reason to educate their userbase about other secure communication platforms. If their users keep believing that they, and only they, provide secure mobile computing, so much the better from their point of view.




    Yup! If the IT department has to justify the added expense of a BES server, or the staff prefers not to have to brush up on security, they'll just lasso everyone into the idea that if they want to keep their jobs, they should get a Blackberry.




    On what grounds? Explain how the Playbook is more secure than the iPad.
    No need to "shout" with caps.

    I merely reminding you that Blackberry phones are used in the corporate environment alongside iOS and Android devices, but it seemed that you think they did this because it's like someone who has to do a 3000 miles oil change which is an old bad habit. Okay, fine but that's your own opinion.

    Having said that, no one really knows how the Z10 will pan out. At the end of the day and if the Z10 is successfully marketed, no one will give RIM any credit.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    234
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus & iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    It really depends on what kind of data you have in your email system. Companies without very sensitive data in their email systems and that are exclusively BYOD aren't likely to have many BB users left.
    This is very true. These companies who used to have a high number of BB users are left with very few diehards. Most of these diehards will most likely convert to the Z10, but it remains to be seen if these few early adopters will be able to convince those who ditched BB early on to switch back. I'm more interested to see this data later on rather than the initial sales run up.
    Remember what Alicia Keys said -- I broke up, I'm playing the field and now I'm back with my ex-boyfriend (Blackberry). That's the key to Blackberry survival is those exes coming back.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,837
    Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    0
    You guys have to stop calling them RIM, they are officially Blackberry now.
    Phones using: Honor Play 6GB 128GB,wife using LG G7 One, son using iPhone XR,daughter using iPhone XR, Youngest son using Xiaomi Redmi 5.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    123
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    HAHAHA shortages! What are the two people that want this phone going to fight for the one phone?

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,284
    Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Recoil1 View Post
    HAHAHA shortages! What are the two people that want this phone going to fight for the one phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_z10_sales_in_uk_off_to_a_strong_start_-news-5474.php
    ...a number of retailers across UK are already running out of stocks. The analyst also reports that the white version of the Z10 has been enjoying particularly high demand.

    The [UK] sales BlackBerry Z10 are expected to reach at least several hundred thousand units
    (The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,837
    Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    (The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)
    He meant in the Yankee world

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Monmouth Jct
    Posts
    4,591
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (current)
    Feedback Score
    0

    Possible Blackberry Z10 shortages at launch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Supa_Fly View Post
    Yeah ... yet another Gartner (paid to) recommendation.

    [additional diifuclt-to-justify rationalization of why this is unacceptable removed for brevity]

    No thanks.
    Okay, fortunately, you DON'T need Good or Blackberry to have a FIPS certified device:

    http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...-certification
    http://www.letsgomobile.org/en/8542/...axy-s3-mobile/

    And iOS along with multiple other android models are pending. So, lets put the weak FIPS argument to rest. It's become a very weak excuse to justify mediocrity, and aside from the fact that likely a majority of smartphone users don't need THAT high a level of security to send their facebook pics, Blackberry simply doesn't have the monopoly on that anymore.

    So let me reiterate my point: Blackberry needs to excel on true merits - usability, accessibility, compatibility, efficiency, user-friendliness - not on outdated notions of a false sense of extra security.



    Quote Originally Posted by luv2travel View Post
    No need to "shout" with caps.
    Three words in caps out of 150 counts as shouting? Okay. If you're going to go ad hominem in your attack, at least make it justifiable.



    I merely reminding you that Blackberry phones are used in the corporate environment alongside iOS and Android devices, but it seemed that you think they did this because it's like someone who has to do a 3000 miles oil change which is an old bad habit. Okay, fine but that's your own opinion.
    If you had read my post, you'd realize I don't need reminding of that fact. Quite the contrary. I was pointing out that old, no-longer-correct information is being used repeatedly in the corporate world (and in this forum) to justify the forced continued use of technology that not all users want to use, when in fact alternate platforms, as I've mentioned above and prior to this thread, match the level of security at a minimum.

    "Blackberry is the only secure mobile platform" is now completely false, and yet it's still being repeated, over and over, as if repeating it enough times will make it true again. Blackberry, and its users, need to move on from this falsehood, or the platform simply won't stand on its own.




    Having said that, no one really knows how the Z10 will pan out. At the end of the day and if the Z10 is successfully marketed, no one will give RIM any credit.

    The irony of all of this is: I'd really like to see the Z10 succeed. But as usual, anyone who even considers other platforms as valid competitors is viewed as a mortal enemy. And they say Apple users are cult followers?



    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    Built-in security refers to more than just RIM's network infrastructure. Built-in security means designed from the start with security in mind like OpenBSD (vs. trying to add it to an existing system, like Windows). 'Fixing' an insecure system after the fact is far more difficult, with more potential points of failure. RIM has tended to the 'do it right the first time' route, and has a pretty solid track record for it.
    The good news is: the vast majority of non-Blackberry devices *aren't* windows based, but *NIX based. iOS even has BSD at its core, and Android of course shares the same linux lineage that QNX does.

    Meanwhile, the OS platforms that were really insecure and would've required many patches and fixes - Palm OS, old Windows CE, S60 - have pretty much faded into obscurity.

    I certainly credit Blackberry for "getting it right the first time." Someone had to. The problem is, that doesn't help you much when other platforms have not only caught up with you, but have excelled in other areas for so long where Blackberry has stagnated until just recently.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    I & I, is Everywhere
    Posts
    6,123
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
    Okay, fortunately, you DON'T need Good or Blackberry to have a FIPS certified device:

    http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...-certification
    http://www.letsgomobile.org/en/8542/...axy-s3-mobile/

    And iOS along with multiple other android models are pending. So, lets put the weak FIPS argument to rest. It's become a very weak excuse to justify mediocrity, and aside from the fact that likely a majority of smartphone users don't need THAT high a level of security to send their facebook pics, Blackberry simply doesn't have the monopoly on that anymore.

    So let me reiterate my point: Blackberry needs to excel on true merits - usability, accessibility, compatibility, efficiency, user-friendliness - not on outdated notions of a false sense of extra security.
    Sorry lets NOT put it to rest! The tablet seems more current but SGS II ... yeah and with the OS not supporting many current functions on Exchange/SharePoint or Server 2008 its moot. However if its officially updated globally by carrier then its worthy to post about. However its HOW the security model is integrated ... its still weak based on those merits vs BB10. You need to do your FULL research not half-step.

    Usability, accessibility, compatibility, efficiency, user friendliness is NO LONGER outdated on BB10. You have NO IDEA about security in a corporate sense do you?!

    I'm willing to bet you the Efficiency, Speed, and Compatibility for the following is better on BB10 than on JB/iOS 6 for:
    Attachments into Email (BB10 does segregate personal acquired data vs corporate)
    Saving Attachments into Folders
    Browsing a corporate SharePoint 2010 site
    ^ oh yes sorry you're going to be prompted for logon ID/PW (single sign-on will not help you even with VPN) because your device is external to your corporate firewall.
    Uploading/Downloading files to SharePoint
    Browsing/uploading/downloading files via WinSever 2008.
    Accessing AD/EMC even using shells - I fail here but oh wait I can use your Android apps and emulate JB and do so securely; again no prompt for credentials because my device is seen as behind the firewall.
    Pushing Out approved applications directly to a device as simultaneous downloads
    ^ I do NOT have to pay for this and the store front to the end user is EASILY and quickly identifiable/accessible.
    (Android nor iOS has this; even with MDM's you'll pay separate to implement this; good luck getting CIO/Financial approval on this during budget re-assesment).
    Domain Password do NOT matter!
    ^ Change your Domain password (which is the same as your Exchange password) and you'll need to update the iOS/Android device as well else you'll NOT receive/sync emails/Calendar/Notes/Contacts. Now if you're travelling to a destination, working on a project on your PC ... whoops you'll not know of any updates WITHOUT checking your device first. BBOS/BB10/BES has no issue with this. This alone kills your argument for "user-friendliness" (your favored devices kills this - iOS prompts you 3 times EVEN when entering the correct domain password it does NOT recognize this; you must enter it in Settings).

    A user complains about a site rendering problem, an HTML email issue (1 email received) or anything else on a connected BB10 they can directly show me without being in the same location ... I can VIEW their screen! No need to take multiple screenshots to send to me; as far as I know no device does screen view recording either. Wait till BBM allows remote control over some aspects!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bell BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone Launched!!
    By terence889 in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
  2. Blackberry Browser Won't Launch (HELP!)
    By drbruce in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 10:55 AM
  3. Virtual Blackberry for Windows Mobile Launching on T-Mobile Dash?
    By g_patrick15 in forum Windows Mobile Devices
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM
  4. Possible? BlackBerry 7130 w/o data service?
    By davoice in forum ALLTEL
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-21-2006, 09:50 AM
  5. Possible clue to V3 Maxx launch date??
    By CavMan in forum Motorola
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-28-2006, 02:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks