Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Data plan grandfathering frustration

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0 View Post
    No, NEW is the point. YOUR contact hasn't changed at all. It's the same as the day you signed it.
    Sorry..... That line of thinking makes no sense to me. Care to expand on that thought ?

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Data plan grandfathering frustration

Quote Originally Posted by Stan MI View Post
    Sorry..... That line of thinking makes no sense to me. Care to expand on that thought ?
    Absolutely nothing has changed about your contract. Nothing about it will change in the future. If you don't want a new contract, don't sign one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0 View Post
    Absolutely nothing has changed about your contract. Nothing about it will change in the future. If you don't want a new contract, don't sign one.
    And the reduced cost on new equipment every two years as the contract rolled over...........????

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan MI View Post
    And the reduced cost on new equipment every two years as the contract rolled over...........????
    Was fulfilled when you got a new phone at the start of this contract. Verizon said "Here's this cheap phone, you agree to these terms for 2 years" and then you signed. If you'll notice, nowhere in the T&C are subsidized upgrades mentioned. It's an up-front transaction designed to get you to sign.

The fact that you can upgrade at 20 months is a similar privilege, and can just as easily be taken away. If Verizon decided tomorrow that everyone could only sign up again when out of contract, that would be a bad PR choice, but perfectly legal, because the contract says nothing about the early upgrade.

Feedback Score
    I understand the terms of the agreement, I also understand how and why I have been a customer of Verizon since creation (came over when they bought out Altell). I also understand that when the "unlimited package" came out the online world was a different place (so different spell check would have picked up "online" as a misspelled word.) Telling customers now that they can't do what they have been doing over and over again is good for business.........bad for customer relations. The biggest change between now and when this option was created is the size of Verizon. "UP" was a customer builder, now that they have all they need.... time to pull the plug.

Weather the Letter and Law of the contract has been changed can be argued as to whom ever is pitching or catching, bottom line is. They just don't need to be as customer sensitive. They have enough customers to make "Sound Business Decisions".

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, Verizon is a large, rich corporation that can safely ignore some customer requests and take away optional perks without hurting their bottom line. They clearly think that their network and other features make their product a competitive offering in spite of recent changes.

If you don't agree, now is a good time to consider what provider you'd like to use after your contract expires. I'd recommend looking into prepaid. In many cases it can provide very similar coverage at a much lower cost.

Device(s)
    SIII, TBolt, G1
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Can I use a non-Verizon branded phone to upgrade my Thunderbolt, such as a Spring Samsung S3 or some model that both Verizon and Sprint uses? I want to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

I suppose I would have to do more than simply swap the LTE sim card?

Would it have to be one that was purchased before January 26, 2013 (due to one of Obamas minions decision that unlocking violates the DMCA? Is that the date for me or the original purchaser?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2