Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need to get a new line - anyone have any insider knowledge of upcoming offers?

Device(s)
    Nexus/S
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

Need to get a new line - anyone have any insider knowledge of upcoming offers?

My oldest son will be going to a different school in September, which means I'll be wanting to purchase a phone for his brother. Right now we all have Android phones and primarily use voice, SMS, and data (Google services).

The problem is that Mobilicity has changed their plans - and they don't look especially appetizing right now. For the first time I'm actually seeing Wind Mobile having the better rates.... I've been on Mobilicity since they went live and have had no issues at all - I love the fact that everything is up front and nothing is obfuscated.

Our current plans are as follows.
    Myself - $35 F&F. Includes Unlimited Voice and Data. Unlimited Canada/US Calling. Global Texting. Voicemail
    Wife - $35 F&F. Includes Unlimited Voice and Data. Unlimited Canada/US Calling. Global Texting. Voicemail
    Son - $25 - Includes Unlimtied Voice / Text / Data - I believe only local calling and canada texting. No voicemail

So now I'm looking for a plan for my other son - and the same $25 I pay for one son doesn't get me even close to what I'm currently getting. Even the $35 plan only gives me "light data"... I'm not paying more for my son's plan than I am paying for my own plan.

They have promotions - but they are only applicable to new subscribers for a limited time.

I was seriously contemplating switching from Android to Blackberry (please don't turn this thread into a BB vs Android discussion). Then adding BBM to each phone since I find Google's messenger service unreliable. My understanding is BBM would include everything they need to use Blackberry Apps (essentially being equivilent to an unlimited data connect)

I don't really know what I'm asking here - I guess I'm hoping someone has a solution I haven't yet thought of. Right now my strategy is to sit and wait and hope that Mobilcity comes out with a better plan.

I've never used WIND - and for some unexplainable reason - I'm reluctant to ..Its like I don't trust them - again - no basis - just a feeling - I'd consider trying them for one kid but I won't be moving everyone over there and giving up what I have with Mobilicity.
    Yesurbius

Plan: $35 F&F v3

Feedback Score
    BandAid fix = Get your second son the ongoing $25 plan for unlimited voice/text/data from mobilicity for one year. Xmas /Black friday will give you opportunities to grab good lifetime promos with credit(s) as has been the case for past few years.

Line 1: Wind50 for $45/M
    Line 2: Wish40 for $35/M
    Line 3: Wish40 for $35/M

Device(s)
    Nexus/S
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I'd be putting him on my account - will they still count that as a new subscriber? They should right?

Also - I wouldn't get the 1yr promotion because I refuse to sign up for pre-auth payments. If I want to pay 8 days in advance or 1 day in advance - I want to control that. Plus those systems have a bad habit of taking out more than they should - then putting you in the position of having to fight after the fact.

Feedback Score
    Oh, that puts you in a pickle. Mobilicity wants their customers to be on PAC/PAD nowadays thatswhy they are putting these promos all the time. I was with Mobilicity for a couple years. I didn't had any extra charges on my CC. Wind $20 plan on prepay is a good option. But i would advise you against it because they don't have the Mywallet feature like Mobilicity does.

Feedback Score
    You no longer need pre-authorized payments for the current promotion. I work for a dealer in Ottawa and though it was a requirement before it has since changed. Just go into any mobilicity store and they should be able to set your son up with the 25$ unlimited talk/text/data (provincial wide calling, and northamerican wide SMS/MMS).

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i'd suggest to wait for when/if Mobilicity uses their funding (up to $75 million, depending on their performance) to improve their network. Until then, if you did want to try Wind out, they offer an official unlocking system for $10 if ever you want to switch back to Mobilicity.

To be fair, i've tried both networks: Wind since late 2010, and Mobilicity since early 2011. The Wind service was maintained to this day, while Mobilicity was canceled in early 2012 (after one year of Multi-Month). Based on others' feedback, Mobilicity has done virtually no improvements throughout 2012, whereas Wind has done plenty. For this reason, unless they improve, i'm hesitant to try out Mobilicity again.
    LABcrab
    Free TV! youtu.be/CnbicDLObNQ Also, helping out with TV Rogers shows!
    WIND: $10 Clever / $10 Surf A Little (switched) / $25 Province
    WINDows apps (for any carrier): BarlowGirlBrittany HargestZOEgirlsee more…
    SpeedTest: 19915748 (Wind) and 15864082 (Fido)!

Device(s)
    Nexus/S
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I'm straying off topic here - but I've notice Mobilicity has increased their tower density in Edmonton this past year - they put more towers in Sherwood Park and in the south.

That's good news @JimJones613 but I'm guessing that is the promotion. I assume you are suggesting to just sign him up for the six month promotion - and if I get a good agent, to go for the year.

Anyone have any insight on how the BBM add-on works?

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yesurbius View Post
    I'm straying off topic here - but I've notice Mobilicity has increased their tower density in Edmonton this past year - they put more towers in Sherwood Park and in the south.

That's good news @JimJones613 but I'm guessing that is the promotion. I assume you are suggesting to just sign him up for the six month promotion - and if I get a good agent, to go for the year.

Anyone have any insight on how the BBM add-on works?
    BBM is not an add-on, it's a messenger service "Blackberry messenger"

BIS is the add-on. It's required for OS7 or lower devices that are blackberry. If you don't have the add-on, the blackberry internet wont'w ork
    Managed to get Mobilicity to act and improve on 4 items.

Feedback Score
    Yes it is the promotion and it will only last for a year, dealer cannot shorten or lengthen it because it is just a code we put and the system processes the rest. What you could do is get it now and wait until there are different promotions at the back-to-school period or the holiday season of 2013 and switch to one of those, but if this past year was any indication those promotions will likely require preauthorized payments, which made no sense to me because most highschool students don't have a credit card..

Device(s)
    Nexus/S
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Those in offices and boardrooms making decisions never have sense.

Feedback Score
    though right now, wind is offering a byop deal. basically buy your phone outright or bring your own phone and they offer you $100, ($20 plan) $200, $300. (depends on which plan you go with). worth of addons payable in incredements of $5,$10,$15 over twenty months. Their $30 plan is comparable to the mobilcity $25 offer right now. Perhaps even better. With Wind, their $30 plan they're offering province wide calling, so if your son moves to another city, he can still call you on the phone and won't be charged extra as long as he's within the same province as you. Wind's version of the mobilicty's $25 bts plan got upgraded in febuary. Offers mms too. Great for kids moving to another city for college and/or uni. And the wind plan is a permament regular plan unlike mobiclity's plan atm. So possibly the wind deal is the better offer.

Carrier(s)
    chatr, Rogers
    Feedback Score
    No need for PAC/PAD on the current promos...$25 unlimited starter plan with free full data for a year or for $10 more you get voicemail and Canada wide calling and that is for life. For a Blackberry, BIS services would be $5 extra a month.

Feedback Score
    Well that plan is basicaly mobilcity's bts plan offered for only one year. Wind's $30 plan is their $29 bts plan upgraded for only a dollar more and includes mms and provincial wide calling.And it's a regular plan, so that means it's a permaplan. No voicemail included as usual. But you can get the voicemail addon for free for the 1st twenty months if you buy your phone outright or bring your own aws hspa phone. . Shop around comparing both wind and mobilcity before making a plunge. Though atm, the current mobilcity promo makes it cheaper than the current $40 plan at wind. Except if i'm not mistaken, there'll be more grand opening promos in the future judging from past experience, so you could ah pay $35 for the 1st ten months and uh get $15 worth of addons free every month lol. the $15 can be used for roaming, and pay per use addons.I saw a new wind store being revonated. i signed up on wind on their grand opening promo, so only paying $35 for the 1st ten months minus the 1st month.

Device(s)
    Nexus/S
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I think I'm going to wait until the Blackberry hits Mobilicity and then see what plans they roll out with it - if they do.

Feedback Score
    In terms of value per dollar, Mobilicity beats wind almost every time. The 25 plan comes with province calling and North American SMS and MMS along with data. In the long run the wind 30 plan is seemingly better (after the one year mark), but the reality is come holiday season both companies will blitz with a wide array of promotional offers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast