Thread: Beware of VWS bearing gifts

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Beware of VWS bearing gifts

In September 2012 my old flip phone gave up. So I went to Verizon and they talked me into a Smart phone After about 6 months I was getting use to it and sort of liked it.
    That's when is started.
    About 6 months after I got it, It would not give me 3G service in my home. It still worked outside but all of a sudden it quit working inside.
    First they Re booted the phone. which didn't help but now I had to reset the phone.
    Next they replaced the old phone with a REFURB !. That didn't help.
    Called Customer Teck support and discussed the problem. They said they would look into it and get back to me.
    Four days later they got back to me and said that they had done a signal search in my area and the signal was minimal! (Never was but after 6 month it went bad )
    He went on to explain how they never guaranteed the phone would work inside (it did for the first 6 months) a structure and that there were options - - - HERE IT COMES
    They just happened to have a signal booster that I could install that would boost the signal. The only draw back was it cost $249, but - - - - since I had problems they could let me have one for $149.99.
    I smell something and it aint Roseses.
    I can give the phone back and use an old one I have, but my contract will stay at 2 years.

Feedback Score

Beware of VWS bearing gifts

Here is a suggestion, once this contract is up, give VW the middle finger and go pay as you go, no contract service, you can get prices less than half of what you pay on contract, you can get pretty recent and decent phones like the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the iPhone 5 or you can buy the SGS3 or about any GSM phone and use them on PAYG cellular, they require you to buy the phone outright but you can pay anywhere from 20 to 60 a month for your service on a wide variety of plans.
    I left contract service over two years ago and aside from a bad stint with Virgin Mobile ( doing a update to their system and toasting their servers causing a service outage) and TMobile just having poor service where I live I have found a dozen different services through AT&T, Sprint and Verizon MVNOs or Straight Talk which has service through all four providers.
    Saying good by to contracts and hello to cellular freedom was the best thing I have done.
    Well with one exception, I keep finding all these low priced plans that save me all kinds of money, right? Well I have about 10 phones lol that I have bought, cause I keep finding good plans that cost less and I have to buy a new phone each time.

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried temporarily switching back to your old phone? That might give you a better sense of if the issue is with that particular phone/model of phone vs. being a signal issue. Unfortunately, if you are a ways from a tower, other changes like new buildings or something they did to the tower could have a huge impact on your reception. Verizon isn't saying/doing anything here that wasn't spelled out in the contract you signed.

Like AndroidFoneFan said, prepaid is great in these situations, because it gives you the flexibility to change providers and phones whenever you want, often at a significant cost savings.

That said, I have an Network Extender and I love it. I live in a basement and get excellent reception with it. Verizon sold two versions of the network extender, one does only 1X (calls/texts) and the other also does 3G. With a smartphone, you have WiFi, which is better than 3G anyway, so I would recommend looking for one of the old 1X models on eBay. You should be able to nab one for <$100.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Problem solved.
    I can't believe how simple the solution was but 4 attendants at the local Verizon store and 2 tecks at Verizon headquarters did not think of it!!!!!

I have a Netgear Router which is connected and working for my home network.
    When my phone would not connect to the web even thru Wi-Fi I went back to the store and a Rep looked it over and decided that a hard reset was necessary since the phone would not connect to the wen thru their Wi-Fi either.
    The hard reset worked and the phone was connecting to the store Wi Fi and when I got home My 3G was connecting in my house.
    I went about resetting all the settings I had including connecting to my home Wi-Fi.
    Now my 3G stopped working.
    The problem was that if Wi-Fi is turned on, 3G will not connect and with Wi-Fi turned off 3G connects.
    I went back to the store and everyone there said they new that BUT no one thought to tell me that !!!!
    I now have a range extender that I do not need and am trying to return it for credit although so far my e-mails to that effect have gone unanswered!!!!!

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    they have us an extender for free in 2012 when we said sprint was gonna give us a free one if we moved to sprint

Feedback Score
    Your story doesn't make sense:

1. You don't have to give the phone back to use an old one.
    2. If you're connected to Wi-Fi of course it'll use that for data, its BETTER. If you're NOT connected to Wi-Fi, then it'll use 3G data.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud33 View Post
    Now my 3G stopped working.
    The problem was that if Wi-Fi is turned on, 3G will not connect and with Wi-Fi turned off 3G connects.
    I went back to the store and everyone there said they new that BUT no one thought to tell me that !!!!
    Because it's common sense.

Can you help me find the "any key"?