Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fraud and indirect

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Fraud and indirect

I'm wonder what steps you guys take to prevent fraud in your stores mostly indirect locations. I've had a few cancelled lines and high end phones with that and just been difficult getting those phones back. A few suggestions would be great.
    Get DropBox!!

Was an ATT customer since 2011 switched to T-Mobile 4/2015 and living in NY. Thank God for unlimited data!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IDENBOY View Post
    I'm wonder what steps you guys take to prevent fraud in your stores mostly indirect locations. I've had a few cancelled lines and high end phones with that and just been difficult getting those phones back. A few suggestions would be great.

Its really tough, many of us say we have it under control but you always get a month where it comes back. We also ignore it like its a temporary thing but it keeps coming back. Personally I have found getting the phones back to be impossible. I would also like to hear some good ideas that have worked, unfortunately there is no fool proof solution and just one chargeback on a high end device hurts.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We hold our sales reps financially responsible for fraudulent lines (not 100%, but enough that they would rather lose a sale then sell to a customer that has red flags).

We have never tried to get the phones back - it simply isn't worth it - especially in a true fraud situation.

We have toyed with the idea of doing a secondary contract that would give us legal recourse directly with the individual but we have not actually done it yet. We figure if we had a secondary contract we could recoup at least 50% of the deacts.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am getting ready to put in a secondary contract. I have had 7 iPhone chargebacks in the past 45 days. I can't keep doing business like that, its bad enough as it is. I came across a company a year or so ago that will handle it all for you (making contact after disconnect through letters/calls/etc. and even going as far as small claims court). They don't charge anything up front, just keep % of what is reclaimed.

Feedback Score

Fraud and indirect

Same here. Secondary contract is coming in our stores.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by starfish00 View Post
    Same here. Secondary contract is coming in our stores.
    Using secondary contracts will hurt you cause other competitors will use scare tactics to close on those who have these. I used them all the time dealing with INDIRECT competitor X has a secondary contract not only will the provider charge you for the phone and contract but there is a 3rd penalty up to 1000.. People scared and buy.

As a phone co. owner its worth it but as a competitive edge is no good. @ the end who wins? VERIZON CORP. cause they don't have to deal with any of it.

Feedback Score

Fraud and indirect

I have an unofficial one on the bottom on my receipt and make customers sign in RQ4 agreeing at POS. We inform customers when explaining ETF that if they cancel the line within 6 months they will owe us retail price of the device. We try to let them know to come to us and work it out if they think an issue will come up. Most of them just don't understand how it works and the things customer service tells them doesn't help.

I've taken it as far as certified letters with a bill and give them a date to pay or at least return equipment. Fraud is also mentioned. I basically tell them if I don't get one or a other they will are me in court and depending on the situation might here from authorities. I sent 4 out and got equipment back from 2, another wasn't able to be delivered and honestly not sure about the 4th. Never got delivery confirmation or letter back. So not bad on that batch.

Customers have had no issues with what's on our receipt or giving a signature. They have no clue it isn't a Verizon policy or that they wouldn't owe retail no matter what.

Feedback Score
    Hate to burst everyone's bubble but Verizon stopped allowing secondary contracts some time ago.

Feedback Score

Fraud and indirect

They tried stopping it. They even started to prorate the chargeback, the that quickly stopped, as such I see no issue having one.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VZWINDIRECTGUY View Post
    Hate to burst everyone's bubble but Verizon stopped allowing secondary contracts some time ago.

I discussed it with my AM and DM just a few days ago and they recommended doing it also. Said there were several dealers in the area that have started doing it. Thats the first I have heard that they don't allow it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We have done this at my two TCC Premium doors with great results. Little to no negative feedback from customers. And haven't had anyone choose not to complete a sale as a result of it. If anyone wants to see our template, PM me and I can email it to you. After a few $1000 iPhone chargeback hits (commish & phone loss), there is no way you can afford not to have some sort of one.

Feedback Score

Fraud and indirect

Quote Originally Posted by _KC_ View Post
    I discussed it with my AM and DM just a few days ago and they recommended doing it also. Said there were several dealers in the area that have started doing it. Thats the first I have heard that they don't allow it.
    In the past year or two we actually were sent something saying to send a copy to VZW for the legal department to have on file if we did have one. If I'm not mistaken I think the iPhone agreement might have or at one time had something about no secondary contracts. My account manager has also recommended having them.

Feedback Score

Fraud and indirect

We just got hit for $30k+ ouch!!

Feedback Score
    i normally get more cautions when a customer comes in and say i want 1-5 new lines and not Port-In. then i will run credit, if approve, i will still request second form ID, google maps their address to see if its legit. only take credit card, and if they pass all these, and i still think its fishy, i simply tell them i don't have the phones in stock. it is not worth making $70-$150 a line and risk $450 charge back.

Device(s)
    Droid DNA
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwonginfinitel View Post
    i normally get more cautions when a customer comes in and say i want 1-5 new lines and not Port-In. then i will run credit, if approve, i will still request second form ID, google maps their address to see if its legit. only take credit card, and if they pass all these, and i still think its fishy, i simply tell them i don't have the phones in stock. it is not worth making $70-$150 a line and risk $450 charge back.
    Same. It's usually pretty easy to tell if you ask enough probing questions and know what to look for in the reactions. If they're shifty, not interested in accessories, insurance - fraud. Especially with multi line deals, most of them will have ridiculous stories like 'I'm getting them for my kids/parents'. Yeah, right. Who does that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast