Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are all TMobile iPhones unlocked?

Feedback Score

Are all TMobile iPhones unlocked?

A TMobile iPhone from the Apple Store, when connected to ITunes to sync apps and music, announced that it is unlocked. Has anyone connected one from TMobile Store or TMobile mail order to iTunes? Is everyone getting the notice the phone is unlocked when connecting to iTunes? Apple's web store also lists TMobile iPhone under unlocked option, rather than next to the other 3 carriers.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotk View Post
    A TMobile iPhone from the Apple Store, when connected to ITunes to sync apps and music, announced that it is unlocked. Has anyone connected one from TMobile Store or TMobile mail order to iTunes? Is everyone getting the notice the phone is unlocked when connecting to iTunes? Apple's web store also lists TMobile iPhone under unlocked option, rather than next to the other 3 carriers.
    When you buy the iPhone from Apple, it will be SIM unlocked. If you buy it from T-Mobile, it will only be SIM unlocked after the full purchase cost is paid off. Essentially, purchasing it on installment plans will delay the unlock, but it will be authorized for unlock once it is paid off. However, if you buy it from T-Mobile at the retail price, then it will be unlocked right away.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Buying direct from T-Mobile gets you a price cut, too. On Apple's website, the phone is $650 with a T-mobile nano SIM, but direct from T-Mobile it's $579. Slick.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon newbie
    Feedback Score
    This is update on their unlock policy: http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/ask-t...unlock-policy/

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmao View Post
    This is update on their unlock policy: http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/ask-t...unlock-policy/
    Which makes me think it would be a better idea to buy from Apple. At least then you have a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee and it's unlocked out of the box. Might even be more expensive buying from T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    Which makes me think it would be a better idea to buy from Apple. At least then you have a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee and it's unlocked out of the box. Might even be more expensive buying from T-Mobile.
    TMobile is 70.00 cheaper but locked out the box
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    TMobile is 70.00 cheaper but locked out the box
    If you're going the prepaid route, they make you pay for 1 month of service, so you can't pay $570 and use it on the $30 plan right away. Sure it might be $620 after that one month, but IMO it seems worth it to pay $30 more and get it unlocked. Then you don't have to worry about the hassle.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon newbie
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Has anyone confirmed (tested) the T-Mobile iPhones are actually coming out of the box locked even when paid in full? If you have one, did iTunes tell you your phone is unlocked?

Feedback Score
    Has anyone confirmed (tested) the T-Mobile iPhones are actually coming out of the box locked even when paid in full? If you have one, did iTunes tell you your phone is unlocked?
    All iPhones from T-Mobile stores come locked. The only way to get it unlocked is to make a request. It does not happen automatically even when paid in full. If you buy it from an Apple Store, it will come unlocked assuming you paid in full.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
    All iPhones from T-Mobile stores come locked. The only way to get it unlocked is to make a request. It does not happen automatically even when paid in full. If you buy it from an Apple Store, it will come unlocked assuming you paid in full.
    Anybody able to get their iPhone unlocked quickly? They are telling me to use it 40 days and call back. I paid in full and am a long time customer. Is this what they are telling everyone?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Anybody able to get their iPhone unlocked quickly? They are telling me to use it 40 days and call back. I paid in full and am a long time customer. Is this what they are telling everyone?
    You should be able to call them now and have the request sent through. Do it as soon as possible because it could take up to 6 days to get the request submitted.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Feedback Score
    You said you got your iphones from the apple store. If that's the case they are already unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    You should be able to call them now and have the request sent through. Do it as soon as possible because it could take up to 6 days to get the request submitted.
    Did this work for you? Did I have an incompetent agent because they wouldn't recognize I have used TMo far longer than 40 days? They wanted 40 days use on the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You said you got your iphones from the apple store. If that's the case they are already unlocked.
    My family got multiple iPhones from mixed sources, so I am actually dealing with both scenarios. I know the Apple ones are already unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Did I have an incompetent agent because they wouldn't recognize I have used TMo far longer than 40 days? They wanted 40 days use on the iPhone.

My family got multiple iPhones from mixed sources, so I am actually dealing with both scenarios. I know the Apple ones are already unlocked.
    I see. T-Mobile changed their unlocking policy on the day the iPhone was released:

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/ask-t...unlock-policy/

So it appears the rep was just following the new policy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast