Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Feedback Score
    LOL

I don't have anything to do with it so it doesn't matter at all.
    What you give is what you get.

Feedback Score
    Apple always knows where you if you use gps, that's for sure. I don't know if you could call that spying but they DO generate a lot of data and they DO use this data to iprove their products and their marketing. If you want to know if your data is save than i am afraid the answer is NO.

Carrier
    T-Mobile (current)
    Feedback Score
    If you:

- Use a smartphone (any platform)
    - Use facebook
    - Use any web-based e-mail service
    - Use any cloud-based service to store personal/work documents or obtain information
    - Drive a car with telematics installed (OnStar, Ford Sync, CarShield, UConnect Guardian, LexusLink, etc.)
    - Drive through an intersection with a red light camera
    - Use an electronic toll tag (EZ-Pass)
    - Walk the sidewalks of most major cities
    - Pay for anything you buy with anything except cash
    - Pay for an internet connection or cell service plan

Then SOME corporation and/or government agency has the ability to collect and track at least some information about you. Apple is the LEAST of your worries.

The key is to not get bent out of shape until you know the facts. And the fact is, of all the companies and government agencies out there, Apple probably cares the least about your personal life, habits, embarrassing info and dirty laundry. Their core services are not ad-driven, and with the exception of ads (which you can turn off collection of information for) they don't have a reason to delve much into your life. Your inputs are basically being used so that Siri and other services can better understand what you're saying, or what you want from them.n They don't care about what kinky fetishes you have. They don't care if you're cheating on your wife. And even if they did care about why you want the perfect place to hide a body because the government made them care, the collection methods make sure they can't directly link the recording of someone asking that to the actual person who asked it.

There are lots of other entities to be worried about in terms of what they do to spy on you. Apple is pretty far down the list on companies to be worried about in this regard.

And if you're really, really, REALLY? that worried about Apple, above all the other companies that DO collect a lot more info about you, and DO sift through that information to find personal things about you that are useful to them, then among all of them, Apple provides probably the easiest ways to turn all that tracking off. It's a lot harder (and sometimes impossible) to turn off or block tracking from other companies/agencies.

Left: iPhone 6+ on T-Mobile. Right: Comcast home internet connection.

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If a drone aircraft keeps circulating above you, Its time to run!
    The key is to not get bent out of shape until you know the facts
    [h=California bills aim to protect privacy as drone age dawns]1[/h]
    http://www.mydesert.com/viewart/2013...rone-age-dawns

Phone
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well said, scaredpoet!

Apple is the least of your worries, and most of what they get from you is anonymous anyway.
    iPhone 7, 128GB, matte black: Sept. 14, 2017 - VIRGIN
    iPhone 6, 64GB, space grey: Nov. 3, 2014 - BELL / Nov. 13, 2015 - VIRGIN
    iPhone 5, 32GB, white: Nov. 21, 2012 - BELL
    iPhone 4, 32GB, black: Sept. 2, 2010 - ROGERS

Feedback Score
    If apple spies on us, how about Google? lol!

Phone
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
    If apple spies on us, how about Google? lol!
    I like that Google provides data on government information requests. I would like to see Apple do the same thing too.

Also, the EFF published an investigation on who you should trust with your data. Apple ranks pretty low in turning information over.

I don't think tech companies do any spying on people. However, they do have a lot of data on us and some more freely turn it over.
    Last edited by mandrsn1; 04-30-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Koodo, formerly Bell Mobility (4 years), formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrsn1 View Post
    I don't think tech companies do any spying on people. However, they do have a lot of data on us and some more freely turn it over.
    What exactly is your definition of "spying" then?
    But on the plus side, I knocked over the SunSphere.

Muh Plan:
    U/L Canadawide Calling
    U/L Picture/Video/Text Messaging
    5 GB Data
    $55/month less 10% for BYOD

The Former Abbywack-A-Mole

Carrier
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    It's probably used to improve voice recognition where better to get a ton of real world examples? Be way more afraid of google if apple scares you.

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RightThere View Post
    What exactly is your definition of "spying" then?
    I don't think Apple keeping voice files to help improve their service is "spying." I don't think Google using my search history and location to provide more personalized services is "spying." I think if they did this stuff without informing me, that would be spying. If Apple or Google enabled my camera or microphone to monitor me, that would be spying. However, using data I give them, is not spying.

Phone
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
    It's probably used to improve voice recognition where better to get a ton of real world examples? Be way more afraid of google if apple scares you.
    Excellent unsupported conclusion in a non-Google thread.

I am way more scared of Apple's arrogance.

Phone
    VE20s
    Feedback Score
    The collection of data of your personal affairs without your specific approval is wrong. It is also wrong when services are provided depending on your agreement which allows the collection of your personal data.

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Excellent unsupported conclusion in a non-Google thread.

I am way more scared of Apple's arrogance.
    Excellent apologetic post in an Apple forum for Google. Real original. Did you decide to troll all on your own, or just on Google payroll?

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Excellent apologetic post in an Apple forum for Google. Real original. Did you decide to troll all on your own, or just on Google payroll?
    Apple ranks really low on the privacy scorecard from the EFF. That is scary.

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Dear Steve is a well known and long time troll. His posts usually tend to involve stalking me and posting into threads I have (even Canadian threads he has no association with), I guess for having repeatedly put him in his place. I'm not sure if his contribution to this thread is from his obsession with me or Apple. I'd be flattered but it gets a little creepy.

But to counter his uneducated response, yes, as a matter of fact, the storing of the voice clips is used to improve performance. Voice recognition and natural language analysis research these days is very much dependent on data. In order to again try to alleviate his ignorance on these types of matters, I'll let Google provide his answer:
    http://research.google.com/pubs/SpeechProcessing.html
    http://gigaom.com/2012/10/31/google-...h-recognition/
    The field of of speech recognition is data-hungry, and using more and more data to tackle a problem tends to help performance but poses new challenges: how do you deal with data overload? How do you leverage unsupervised and semi-supervised techniques at scale? Which class of algorithms merely compensate for lack of data and which scale well with the task at hand? Increasingly, we find that the answers to these questions are surprising, and steer the whole field into directions that would never have been considered, were it not for the availability of significantly higher orders of magnitude of data.
    Keeping this data, for Apple, serves only one logical purpose, that is to improve the service. Collecting it for google goes beyond that need because of what their actual core business are (not voice).

Google themselves have a number of vectors for collecting their own datasets. Google Now records basically exactly the same data that Siri services do. GoogleVoice is a treasure trove for google because even more than searches and commands, voicemail recordings are truly natural language samples. People speak as though they are speaking to a person when they leave a message. They use conversational tones and sentences, whereas they speak in a staccato manner when using search engines or making command requests. The huge, monster, gigantic difference is that I don't think google has committed to anonymize nor delete these samples. Voice analysis improvements are a side business for Google. They are a advertising and data mining company. They want these recordings for far more than language analysis. They collect the samples to help their tangental interest in voice, but even more to sate their endless hunger for data on people.

So yeah, if you are afraid of Apple keeping the Siri clips, be way more scared of what google does with theirs.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast