Thread: Does HD Voice work when calling landlines?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Does HD Voice work when calling landlines?

I couldn't find a clear answer to this. When using an HD Voice phone on T-Mobile and calling a landline, is the clarity improved at all? I know landlines don't support HD Voice, but I'm wondering if clarity is improved at all with using HD Voice on a phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    HD Voice only works if the call is terminated on T-Mobile's network, and both devices are HD Voice Capable.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Device(s)
    Current: iPhone, Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd been curious about this myself from a logistics standpoint. Sure, the AMR-WB codec is "better" than landlines so it's theoretically pointless to use, but one would think it would still improve voice connections to landline/VoIP even with a transcode somewhere along the way.

I wonder if there's some technical/real reason as to why this codec isn't used for calls placed to landline numbers. Or perhaps it's because, T-Mobile only knows about T-Mobile numbers, and it's not easy for them to guess if a number is a landline or another cellular network, especially with number portability, and they'd rather not risk transcoding that gets re-transcoded using EVRC-B or half-rate AMR on another carrier? (Resulting in a possible quality drop that makes people thinking T-Mobile calls sound bad.)

Feedback Score
    What about calls routed through Google Voice (to other T-mobile AMR-WB compatible handsets)?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    i called my friend and it was very clear we both have iphone 5 on tmobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuzz View Post
    I'd been curious about this myself from a logistics standpoint. Sure, the AMR-WB codec is "better" than landlines so it's theoretically pointless to use, but one would think it would still improve voice connections to landline/VoIP even with a transcode somewhere along the way.

I wonder if there's some technical/real reason as to why this codec isn't used for calls placed to landline numbers. Or perhaps it's because, T-Mobile only knows about T-Mobile numbers, and it's not easy for them to guess if a number is a landline or another cellular network, especially with number portability, and they'd rather not risk transcoding that gets re-transcoded using EVRC-B or half-rate AMR on another carrier? (Resulting in a possible quality drop that makes people thinking T-Mobile calls sound bad.)
    Because a POTS Line is only able to carry like up to 3khz of your voice waves where as this WB codec can handle higher ranges of voices. Landlines also only are capable of using the G.711 codec which is actually a fixed 64kbit/s and typically has a higher MOS score of 4.4-4.5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by desertflyer View Post
    What about calls routed through Google Voice (to other T-mobile AMR-WB compatible handsets)?
    No because the call is handled by the outside PSTN network to route the call.

Feedback Score
    it works great iphone to iphone.

Feedback Score
    I was told that the HTC One will also be capable of HD voice, so that should work with the iPhone crowd as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCap View Post
    I was told that the HTC One will also be capable of HD voice, so that should work with the iPhone crowd as well.
    HD voice will work with any phone as long as they are both HD capable on a network that supports HD.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE