Thread: How Popular Is Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD Compared To Other Smartphones?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Question How Popular Is Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD Compared To Other Smartphones?

I have had the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD since it came out in October 2012, and I think for the most part that it is fantastic (93% satisfied with it... which says a lot!).

However, in my frequent trips to various Verizon Wireless stores, I've noticed that the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD doesn't get much attention compared to the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, or even Nokia Windows Phones. Even the Verizon Wireless rep that I've been dealing with says that the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD has been a bit of a "slow mover". The only other person I've met who has a Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD is my friend, and that's because we went shopping for phones from Verizon Wireless at the same time. Now that the Samsung Galaxy S4 has been announced, I'm curious:

A) How popular is/was the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD compared to other smartphones?
    B) Why do you think the handset failed to be more popular?

And if some Verizon Wireless employees could give their observations and opinions as well, that would be great!

Personally, I think some possible reasons why it may be/have been a "slow mover" (if indeed that is true) are:

1) Initial subsidized pricing was TOO HIGH for the phone: $299 is $100 more than the non-MAXX for a bigger battery and 16GB more of space, which is beginning to feel like Apple iPhone's pricing structure. In fact, for that price (or cheaper) you CAN BUY a comparable iPhone 5, or Samsung Galaxy S3, or Nokia Windows phone, etc.

2) Ineffective or sub-par marketing: Even though I went and bought the phone, at the time I was a very informed user (since I had a few months to do research after deciding to switch from Sprint), but most people don't do "research" when buying a new phone. I didn't see that many commercials for the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD when it came out (only signs at the Verizon Wireless store), but when I DID see commercials, it was only about the superior battery life and "cool looks" of the phone. In contrast, Samsung Galaxy S3's commercials touted features and superior screen & processor, and Apple iPhone 5 advertising is... everywhere!

3) Were Verizon Wireless reps encouraged to push other products? I don't know if this is even true or not, but were Verizon Wireless reps encouraged to push the Samsung Galaxy S3 or other products over the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD? It would be great if any Verizon Wireless employee could give an answer...

4) Google's takeover of Motorola Mobility: This factor may or may not have something to do with the sales of the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD, but it seems that something definitely has changed since then. I do love the fact that the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD is the one branded phone that is running as close to stock Android as possible (just some very light skinning and widgets). But does the sales figures indicate that the greater public (who aren't cell phone techies) wants more "heavily-handed" skinned and modified Android handsets, like the Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/Note 2 with TouchWiz? Rumor also has it that Google is planning to phase out the "Motorola" brand name on its handsets and come out with a "Google Phone" (a.k.a. "Motorola X" for now)... this would pull the Motorola-hardware handsets closer to the Nexus devices Google has been releasing as of late.

What do you think?
    Last edited by chokaay; 05-14-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    - Chokaay

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    All of the above is correct. I also have been very happy with my purchase.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums