Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tri-Band LTE Devices start to take Shape!

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The "Netgear Zing" in the video above looks just like a black version of the AT&T Sierra Wireless Unite:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...id=tZdDl2GYhP0

The Unite is the AT&T hotspot that I have... great battery life and RF performance... doesn't seem to lose connection; having it display data usage and your password right on the front is a nice touch. This will be nice to have on Sprint. I'm not sure if Netgear bought Sierra, Sierra has always owned Netgear and decided to start branding their mobile devices as Netgear, or if Netgear licensed some of the Sierra software/designs to brand as their own -- seems smart since everyone knows Netgear for networking devices...

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Clearwire was supposed to have 5,000 TDD LTE cell sites up and running for June.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...013/2012-02-15

The Clearwire chief said that "not too terribly long" after the first 5,000 sites are online, Clearwire will expand that coverage to 8,000 sites. Interestingly, he added that with the TD-LTE network Clearwire will not be as focused on POPs covered as it as with its WiMAX network, and will instead focus on how much data traffic it can transmit across its network--presumably to get as much as wholesale revenue as possible.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    They cut that down to 2,000 sites late last year:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...tes/2012-10-25

That said, I wonder if they even have any LTE sites up aside from the few in Phoenix and other areas to test with... I've heard nothing on this front since that last article. Clear has been in survival mode so I wonder if they even got to the 2,000 -- they've been stringing Sprint along for additional funding.

My hope is that they do have the 2,000 sites up and ready to go so Sprint has something to deploy on immediately, but I have my doubts. In addition, Sprint will probably want to co-locate on their existing sites so they can save leasing/additional backhaul costs etc.

Maybe now that Sprint finally has control of Clearwire, they can make good on this side from *3 years ago* lol
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...rnization.jpg/

Device(s)
    Pixel, S9+, S9, S8, S7, G6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    They cut that down to 2,000 sites late last year:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...tes/2012-10-25

That said, I wonder if they even have any LTE sites up aside from the few in Phoenix and other areas to test with... I've heard nothing on this front since that last article. Clear has been in survival mode so I wonder if they even got to the 2,000 -- they've been stringing Sprint along for additional funding.

My hope is that they do have the 2,000 sites up and ready to go so Sprint has something to deploy on immediately, but I have my doubts. In addition, Sprint will probably want to co-locate on their existing sites so they can save leasing/additional backhaul costs etc.

Maybe now that Sprint finally has control of Clearwire, they can make good on this side from *3 years ago* lol
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...rnization.jpg/
    Clearwire has in excess of 2000 TD-LTE configurations spread out through approx 10 markets (+ - 5) with the majority (~1000) based around the Chicago market. Plans call for TD-LTE and SMR 800 LTE to be activated in these select markets in the next few weeks.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6t
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    Clearwire has in excess of 2000 TD-LTE configurations spread out through approx 10 markets (+ - 5) with the majority (~1000) based around the Chicago market. Plans call for TD-LTE and SMR 800 LTE to be activated in these select markets in the next few weeks.
    I imagine it will be a bit of a mess while Sprint now decides which Clear sites they need to keep and which ones can be consolidated with Sprint sites. They did share a lot of the same towers so it may just be a rack move and new cable runs for some sites. Sprint will probably have to go through the permit process to do such a change which will slow that down a bit. I would think they would want to get everything on one rack to lower the lease a bit.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if Sprint did their network vision permits with the 2.5 panels in mind across the country? I remember back when the first sites were starting to go up, a number of permits were found that showed 2.5 panels, as well as Lightsquared 1.6 panels -- and a few sites were even built with Lightsquared panels around Kansas City IIRC.

Hopefully they included these on all their permits so they can just add them on and it's already taken care of,...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    Does anyone know if Sprint did their network vision permits with the 2.5 panels in mind across the country? I remember back when the first sites were starting to go up, a number of permits were found that showed 2.5 panels, as well as Lightsquared 1.6 panels -- and a few sites were even built with Lightsquared panels around Kansas City IIRC.

Hopefully they included these on all their permits so they can just add them on and it's already taken care of,...
    Nope. Sprints Network Vision permits are only for Sprint network vision equipment. Clearwire did their own thing.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    SoftBank Corp will move rapidly to use airwaves from Clearwire Corp to bolster Sprint Nextel Corp's wireless service, but it does not plan any big personnel changes once it takes over the No. 3 U.S. mobile carrier, a top SoftBank executive told Reuters.

Softbank founder Masayoshi Son told Reuters in April that he was preparing a "secret weapon" to revive Sprint - a "very innovative product, innovative service that no other carriers in the world are preparing.

But SoftBank executive Ron Fisher, who will become vice chairman of the Sprint board of directors, said the first task was beefing up technology. He added that there will not be any management changes or general layoffs.

"The network is a core focus. Until one has a network that really provides the kind of service we all look for, that's the most critical thing," Fisher told Reuters ahead the close of SoftBank's $21.6 billion purchase of 78 percent of Sprint.

"The Clearwire deal will give Sprint management the flexibility they need in spectrum to really build out the network over the next few years."

Integrating Clearwire's spectrum with Sprint's network, and introducing handsets that can take advantage of that spectrum, could take as long as 18 months, said Fisher. But he noted that putting the process in motion is an "immediate priority."

"The area you're likely to see the greatest acceleration is around the 2.5 Gigahertz Clearwire spectrum deployment," he said.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...10&id=16686501

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know if there's a good chance of the next iPhone having this tri-band lte chipset?

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vtrossi View Post
    Anyone know if there's a good chance of the next iPhone having this tri-band lte chipset?

Sent with the HoFo App
    Given the amount of money Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint each pay Apple I'd like to think they'll offer the chipset each carrier specifies.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's good news. Being an Apple user, I'd hate to be a year behind on this technology. I think I read that my area (Chicago) should be one if the first to have 800 LTE rolled out. In-building LTE is atrocious here on 1900.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vtrossi View Post
    That's good news. Being an Apple user, I'd hate to be a year behind on this technology. I think I read that my area (Chicago) should be one if the first to have 800 LTE rolled out. In-building LTE is atrocious here on 1900.

Sent with the HoFo App
    This is true, part of this was due to legacy equipment being Motorola which didn't play well with the new equipment. Chicago area may also be the first large metro to get 2.5GHz LTE as well. Original demo testing occurred in streets of Phoenix, AZ. in January 2011.
    (video) http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ut-is-underway

This is from a quarterly slide - summer 2012. Now with the Softbank involvement there is no way to truly know how and where specifically they are going to deploy initially. I'd wager that Chicago is one of those markets.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    This is true, part of this was due to legacy equipment being Motorola which didn't play well with the new equipment. Chicago area may also be the first large metro to get 2.5GHz LTE as well. Original demo testing occurred in streets of Phoenix, AZ. in January 2011.
    (video) http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ut-is-underway

This is from a quarterly slide - summer 2012. Now with the Softbank involvement there is no way to truly know how and where specifically they are going to deploy initially. I'd wager that Chicago is one of those markets.

Chicago region has >1000 TD-LTE sites with Samsung dual mode TD-LTE / Wimax equipment deployed. They also are slated to get LTE 800 within a few weeks.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Depends on how they want to market it... If they are using it strictly for capacity, 'hot zones' like that slide makes sense.

If they are looking to launch a 'super speed' service over 2.5 as Softbank has in Japan or Rogers has in Canada (with the FDD version), then I'm sure they will expand coverage considerably.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2