Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sailfish?

Device(s)
    N9 & N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Sailfish?

So can we talk Sailfish here? It is a MeeGo derivative (though not really). Anyone excited about this Jolla phone?

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There are many people excited about this phone but not sure how many still visit this site. The Sailfish OS looks like something that has elegance and simplicity.

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    closest thread I can see - it was spun off Meego (as was stated).

VERY excited to see what Jolla brings to the table with Sailfish. Like the Symbian phones of the recent past, they'll be fighting an uphill battle for US acceptance. Interested in the specs, cores, CPU speed, RAM, onboard storage & hope for an SD card slot. If it's usable, I'm in, especially since apps are NOT an issue - can run Android apps. Could allow me to return to an undocumented smart phone with the $10 / month UNLIMITED data (I can manage w/o LTE). Only reason I switched from the Nokia N8 was screen size !
    informed/intelligent comments are welcome ... BS - not so much ...

peace,
    ROK

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm down.....
    in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Device(s)
    N9 & N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    @ROKStrr

You might be able to have your cake and eat it too! I read that the Jolla phone will be 4G LTE. Who knows for sure if it will be compatible with our carriers here but it is a good start.

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Demati View Post
    @ROKStrr

You might be able to have your cake and eat it too! I read that the Jolla phone will be 4G LTE. Who knows for sure if it will be compatible with our carriers here but it is a good start.
    I believe from earlier articles, it will NOT be compatible w AT&T LTE bands. Also, I would be going backwards (to feature phone data) - LTE needs to be provisioned for AT&T. However, if it works - mo' better. I liked the idea of unlimited data @ low cost - other than the increased price of the phone. There was no phone in particular I liked, that would fly under the radar (sweeps ?) with a larger screen (4.3 to 5 ") thus the switch to the Nokia Lumia 920 & legit 3gb data (with cost !)
    Time will tell, but I anxiously await the release & reviews of Sailfish - looks like a nice niche product.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I read on Engadget some time back that Sailfish will accept Android apps without any conversion necessary. So right out of the gate Sailfish users will have the entire Android ecosystem at their fingertips.

I'm a Symbian fanboy from way back, and I just picked up a new Nokia N8. I updated it to Belle and the new look is highly reminiscent of MeeGo. The new Asha operating system also looks like MeeGo. Just some coincidences I find interesting!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Has everyone pre-ordered the Jolla phone? I hope everyone has expressed interest by at least opting for the 0Euro option. The more demos I see of it the more comfortable I feel getting it.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Name:  6C7492057-jollaside.blocks_desktop_small.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  10.1 KB

Some links...

Ex-Nokia team creates two-part 'Jolla' mobile phone

The phone's most unique aspect has to be its split nature: The front has the usual smartphone guts and a 4.5-inch HD screen. But attach an "other half" to the back and your phone gets a new look, new profile, or even new features. Each rear piece can be independently configured — have one for work and one for personal use, for instance, or buy one that adds exclusive apps or even something like wireless charging.
    Name:  wide_Jolla_devices1-640x381.png
Views: 590
Size:  224.7 KB

Sailfish OS phone “Jolla” debuts, available for preorders

A number of Nokia employees splintered off from the company last July with the intent of taking MeeGo to the heights they thought it was destined for. MeeGo had been jointly developed by Intel and Nokia as a combination of the two companies’ Moblin and Maemo projects.

Sailfish OS is based on Mer, an open-source OS that was part of MeeGo. The developers unveiled a concept device back in November, and the Jolla represents the actual product the company intends to ship.

Finnish MeeGo Startup Jolla Reveals First Phone: 4.5″ Display, Customisable Shells, $513 Price-Tag, Shipping At Year’s End

Specs wise, the device has a 4.5″ Estrade display, a dual-core chip, 4G, 16GB internal memory plus a microSD card slot, an 8MP auto focus camera, a user-replaceable battery. The device is powered by Jolla’s Sailfish OS but can also run Android apps, giving it something of a leg up. Jolla is also encouraging developers to build native Sailfish apps too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
    There are many people excited about this phone but not sure how many still visit this site. The Sailfish OS looks like something that has elegance and simplicity.
    People still visit...

Enthusiasm for anything Nokia leaves something to be desired though. Hildon then Maemo then MeeGo kind of sucked it out of the available enthusiast pool. You can only say to the developer community "Hey kids, lets put on a show" and then not show up so many times before you have to find some new "kids"

...not to mention the paying Symbian customer base that were kind of left out in the cold waiting this non existent show to open and include them

Quote Originally Posted by ROKstrr View Post
    closest thread I can see - it was spun off Meego (as was stated).

VERY excited to see what Jolla brings to the table with Sailfish. Like the Symbian phones of the recent past, they'll be fighting an uphill battle for US acceptance. Interested in the specs, cores, CPU speed, RAM, onboard storage & hope for an SD card slot. If it's usable, I'm in, especially since apps are NOT an issue - can run Android apps. Could allow me to return to an undocumented smart phone with the $10 / month UNLIMITED data (I can manage w/o LTE). Only reason I switched from the Nokia N8 was screen size !
    Some links I found...

Name:  6C7492057-jollaside.blocks_desktop_small.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  10.1 KB

Ex-Nokia team creates two-part 'Jolla' mobile phone

The phone's most unique aspect has to be its split nature: The front has the usual smartphone guts and a 4.5-inch HD screen. But attach an "other half" to the back and your phone gets a new look, new profile, or even new features. Each rear piece can be independently configured — have one for work and one for personal use, for instance, or buy one that adds exclusive apps or even something like wireless charging.
    Name:  wide_Jolla_devices1-640x381.png
Views: 590
Size:  224.7 KB

Sailfish OS phone “Jolla” debuts, available for preorders

A number of Nokia employees splintered off from the company last July with the intent of taking MeeGo to the heights they thought it was destined for. MeeGo had been jointly developed by Intel and Nokia as a combination of the two companies’ Moblin and Maemo projects.

Sailfish OS is based on Mer, an open-source OS that was part of MeeGo. The developers unveiled a concept device back in November, and the Jolla represents the actual product the company intends to ship.

Finnish MeeGo Startup Jolla Reveals First Phone: 4.5″ Display, Customisable Shells, $513 Price-Tag, Shipping At Year’s End

Specs wise, the device has a 4.5″ Estrade display, a dual-core chip, 4G, 16GB internal memory plus a microSD card slot, an 8MP auto focus camera, a user-replaceable battery. The device is powered by Jolla’s Sailfish OS but can also run Android apps, giving it something of a leg up. Jolla is also encouraging developers to build native Sailfish apps too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Pre-ordering the phone is now closed. The only thing that remains is the 0Euro option to express interest in it.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I won't be getting this phone. Too little too late for me.
    Nokia N950

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Is anyone using the N9 on ATT with the $15 feature phone data plan? Thanks. Hopefully the Sailfish phones can be used with the feature phone data plan.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wlo8 View Post
    Is anyone using the N9 on ATT with the $15 feature phone data plan? Thanks. Hopefully the Sailfish phones can be used with the feature phone data plan.
    I assume it should work, same as the sailfish phone will. No one officially carried the N9 so it wasn't in any carriers systems.

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanosuke View Post
    I assume it should work, same as the sailfish phone will. No one officially carried the N9 so it wasn't in any carriers systems.
    From reading other threads, it appears 808 and E7 are being detected by ATT. It looks like N8 is still ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast