Page 25 of 95 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 75 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kid on the Block. Selectel Wireless. Verizon MVNO

Device(s)
    LG Volt, LG clamshell,
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus,T-Mo prepaid,Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
    I do agree you all have valid points on allot of the issues. I am not that very happy either they way they are doing the paygo deal. I will however promise that I pass the displeasure you guys have with this change. I will also try to find out the real reason behind this change.

I hope to get some clarification this weekend sometimes, and will also refer them to this link to read what you guys have to say.

Viper
    Thank you. You can also tell them, that even though we are not on a contract, we would appreciate service and plans that are stable and will not surprise us with an abrupt change in plans and service. Many of us have been through that. Here is the path that I have come: I like to have a separate phone for data. In the Spring of 2011 I activated a feature phone on AT&T prepaid. I had to purchase at least $25 every 90 days. That was more than I needed for data, but it worked well for me and I was content. Then, in June 2012, they sprung this on us: We could no longer access the data at the price I had. I was going to be forced to pay $25/month, plus the cost of data. I then left some paid-for service behind and replaced my data phone with a Platinumtel phone. That was good until they said I was going to have to buy a new phone because their service was switching to T-Mobile. I did not want to rely on T-Mo coverage, so I activated an Android phone on Talk for Good. They went belly-up, so I ported my number to Selectel. I was told that I could maintain data service with a $10 card. Now, just a few days later, I have been told that I need to add a monthly plan. Okay, I will eventually do that, but please.......make up your mind and quit surprising us! Okay?

Device(s)
    Doogee S90, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone 2.1, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,T-Mo,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCarlucci View Post
    I would be willing at accept a base monthly "account maintenance" fee for a PAYGO plan. I certainly was when I had TFG. I have no delusions that accounting and support systems are free or that it costs them nothing for an active line with no usage.
    Sent from my SCH-I500 using HoFo mobile app
    Agreed that they really need some sort of traditional PAYGO plan but they should be able to recover monthly account costs through a small monthly fee and/or slightly higher per minute calling costs and/or a reasonable expiration date (probably 60, 90 or 120 days that is in line with other MVNO competitors). But keep it really simple and easy to understand without tiered pricing and variable expiration dates depending on card size...something like here's our $10 refill card that's good for 90 days, has rollover, has a 50 cents a month charge to cover line maintenance costs, US calls are a nickel a minute with domestic roaming at no additional charge, and domestic text messages are only a nickel each(nickel a minute or text is what I currently pay on H2O).

It's also good business practice to have a PAYGO plan because even someone with a modest budget and light calling needs is never turned away at a Selectel dealer. The dealer can cheerfully show a line of reasonably priced new and reconditioned handsets, explain how a Selectel PAYGO plan can easily fit their budget, how easy and convenient it is to get refill cards and have them applied at the Selectel dealer, and how extensive the Verizon home and roaming network coverage is in the US(they can say that Selectel uses the "can you hear me now" CDMA network if they can't mention the carrier by name due to the MVNO agreement). Plus there is always the possibility a customer like that will refer friends and family and possibly upgrade to a smartphone with a Selectel monthly plan in better times.

A PAYGO plan is also ideal for international visitors needing just a temporary line during their US visit(a dealer at an airport could even do rentals at a tidy profit, and hand over a charged up live rental phone ready to make calls and surf the web; no need to fiddle with sim cards or change APN settings like GSM competitors), someone needing a glovebox phone in their vehicle, an emergency phone for their purse or briefcase, or a starter phone for a child.
    Last edited by GadgetKen; 08-17-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Ok here is the info I got this morning......

(The change is because our system and service is not set up for this type of customer yet. As I stated in the email we are asking dealers that are promoting the flex card as a standalone plan to stop until our system is set up for this type of customer. We offer a premium pay as you go product. We have the best coverage of any other prepaid provider)

My next question: Please give me some information on this change. Selectel has allot of customers very upset with the change. I want to be able to better describe the reasoning behind this to them.

(The Selectel Wireless Flex Cards are intended to be used for overages when a customer has reached their limit on their voice, text, or data feature. The card is not intended to be used as a stand alone plan so do not offer it as a stand alone plan because it is not a plan it is a flex card.)

Thats all I can do for now......

Viper

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score

(The change is because our system and service is not set up for this type of customer yet. As I stated in the email we are asking dealers that are promoting the flex card as a standalone plan to stop until our system is set up for this type of customer. We offer a premium pay as you go product. We have the best coverage of any other prepaid provider)

My next question: Please give me some information on this change. Selectel has allot of customers very upset with the change. I want to be able to better describe the reasoning behind this to them.

(The Selectel Wireless Flex Cards are intended to be used for overages when a customer has reached their limit on their voice, text, or data feature. The card is not intended to be used as a stand alone plan so do not offer it as a stand alone plan because it is not a plan it is a flex card.)

Not complaining, but these "explanations" are about as clear as mud. I think I would have been happier without them. The first sentence sounded hopeful. I interpreted it to mean, "we're not set up yet to offer the Flex Card as a stand-alone plan." Which gave me some (momentary) hope that, once they are "set up," they'll again provide a PAYGO plan. But then they claim that they are currently offering "a premium pay as you go product." Actually, at this time, they don't offer any PAYGO product, premium or otherwise. (I guess I need to correct that -- they do offer a PAYGO product (the Flex Card) but it has to be in conjunction with a non-PAYGO product.) The second part just reiterates what has already been said. No more PAYGO plan. So, back to square one.

Thanks, Viper, for talking to them. I still like Selectel but, in my opinion, it is becoming more urgent that they get their new website set up, with all plans and terms of service posted there. Having to rely on second-hand information is getting a little old. (And this is no insult to the Selectel dealers, it's just that they shouldn't be blindsided and put into an odd position like this.)
    Last edited by rcentros; 08-17-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Device(s)
    Doogee S90, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone 2.1, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,T-Mo,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Viper, thanks for talking with Selectel. Was hoping they would be offering a stand-alone Paygo option, but still leaves the option for minimal users to choose the $15/month or the $75/annual plan(they compare favorably with the PP 12 Plan or dealer provided only PP $80 plan). Seriously considering Selectel as an additional carrier for backup purposes (dropped PP a couple of months ago because I could see where they were heading with Carlos Slim, but 2 family members still use PP).

But agree with recentros that Selectel needs to have a more polished website ASAP..it needs all of their plans including the hidden $75 annual plan in the refill system showing up(once their accounting system can handle it)...that would probably be closest to a traditional Paygo plan without a recurring monthly fee. And they need a really good OLAM system, and a free means of getting account balance/svc expiration date from the handset. Plus a downloadable brochure that explains their service plans and TOS for people that like this information in hard copy.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

Viper
    This is disturbing because Selectel PREVIOUSLY told you and other dealers that the Flex Card COULD be used BOTH for overages AND a stand-alone plan. Their system didn't DEGRADE itself to no longer handle the Flex Card used as as stand-alone plan when it previously could. Selectel's answers don't seem to be honest.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    This is disturbing because Selectel PREVIOUSLY told you and other dealers that the Flex Card COULD be used BOTH for overages AND a stand-alone plan. Their system didn't DEGRADE itself to no longer handle the Flex Card used as as stand-alone plan when it previously could. Selectel's answers don't seem to be honest.
    Yeah, that's another odd "explanation" (so to speak). If their system can handle the Flex Card for overages, what's the difference between that and being used for stand-alone accounts? I think what really happened is that they were alarmed at how many customers were using the Flex Card for stand-alone accounts and, knowing that there wasn't enough profit in the stand alone Flex Plan to sustain growth, they had to put the brakes on it. If that's the case, they should just say so. I think most of us can understand that they have to make enough profit to stay in business.

I think I've said enough on this subject. I plan on, personally, sticking with Selectel because they are right, they do offer a premium service for a reasonable price. I still hope that some day they may again have a PAYGO plan, but I've resigned myself to the Yearly Plan for my phone. But for kid's phones or "loaners" I'll probably dig up some cheap, unlockable GSM phones and stick Lycamobile SIMs in them. (Actually I found some already -- Best Buy has the Samsung A157s on sale for $5. They're pretty nice, extremely basic phones. I've been carrying one in my pocket for a few days now.)

Feedback Score

Viper
    The "premium pay as you go product" means their monthly plans.. correct? The plans that exist today will stay, but no other pay as you go coming?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    On a side note. I got my second "Your Monthly Plan has expired ..." text today. It again showed a "Cash Card" balance of $10. If you get these texts, does it actually show your balance counting down? Or is this something that hasn't been implemented yet? (I'm guessing it hasn't, but I just wanted to confirm that.)

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_curious View Post
    The "premium pay as you go product" means their monthly plans.. correct? The plans that exist today will stay, but no other pay as you go coming?
    I didn't mean to confuse the subject. The "premium pay as you product" can only apply to the Flex Card when working in conjunction with a Monthly or the Yearly Plan, because that's the only plan where you pay as you go for what you use. All other plans they offer are "pre-paid" but not pay as you go. If you buy the $15 Plan, for example, you're buying 300 minutes, 300 texts and 15 MB of data. No matter how much (or how little) of that you use in a month, you'll still be charged $15. If your usage patterns come close to that per month, it's a better deal than PAYGO, but it's nice to have options.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I've started getting the "Your Monthly Plan..." texts and my balance changes with each one, since Thursday I've lost $3.20 according to the text message. Sadly I guess I will return to Pageplus since I'm an extremely low user (barely use a few dollars in the 120 day limit for Pageplus), I really thought Selectel was a better way to go when my Pageplus account was up for renewal but since the removal of the flex card they've lost my trust and that's going to be hard for them to gain back...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    I didn't mean to confuse the subject. The "premium pay as you product" can only apply to the Flex Card when working in conjunction with a Monthly or the Yearly Plan, because that's the only plan where you pay as you go for what you use. All other plans they offer are "pre-paid" but not pay as you go. If you buy the $15 Plan, for example, you're buying 300 minutes, 300 texts and 15 MB of data. No matter how much (or how little) of that you use in a month, you'll still be charged $15. If your usage patterns come close to that per month, it's a better deal than PAYGO, but it's nice to have options.
    Oh.. I understand that..

What I was asking is that does Selectel think their monthly plan as the "Premium pay as you go product", and there is no change of getting a real "paygo" out of them...

I do keep two lines - the numbers I had for years.. If I go with the yearly plan, it make sense to put the main number on Selectel because of equivalent per minute rate.. If Selectel offers a real "paygo", it makes sense for me to put my secondary number on Selectel..

Right now, I am ok with risking my secondary number with Selectel.. not quite comfortable enough to try my main line with Selectel yet... hopefully things will get clear soon.

Device(s)
    Nexus 9
    Feedback Score
    I am kind of curious why paygo seems so neglected by sellers since everytime a new Verizon mvno shows up they get the most buzz when they offer a paygo. Only reason anyone used talkforgood and personally I had zero interest in selectel until the flex card and 75 dollar yearly showed up. I have a limited view because I am a very low usage shopper but monthly plans from anybody seem like they a dime a dozen. Paygo plans that don't gouge you somehow, still looking, i was getting hopeful about selectel. Maybe the economics of it are harder or something idk, if so why dont they disillusion us paygo buyers that our asumptions that what we ask is possible?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Probably because paygo cost on their end, their is very little money in it for them to offer it. Not to mention the extra work to monitor it compared to a regular Prepaid plan. I understand everyone wants to save a dollar but you may have to look elsewhere for it until the issue is either resolved.

I did have another conversation and remember guys this is Saturday and the President of the Company took the time to answer directly to me.

I took what he said as this, at this time dealers do not offer it in the paygo manner for now. It may however be remedied if the system gets setup to use it that way.

Also remember guys Selectel runs off the Postpaid side of Verizon, which in essence is not setup for all the different stuff as the prepaid side. Dealers should notice the difference as we have to upload ESN's and a few other things thats different than we are used to.

Give them a little time, I think they will work it all out. They have some great advantages to others and I have personally seen where flashed phones had issues with PPlus in some area that switching to Selectel fixed the problem all together.....

Viper

Carrier(s)
    Selectel
    Feedback Score
    You didn't know this before you switched ?
    (other than the flex card announcement)

Quote Originally Posted by gsuemnic View Post
    I have a Driod X from Selectel. How can I tell if I'm 'roaming' to other carrier towers under the Verizon / Selectel post-paid coverage agreement ?

I'm seriously thinking of jumping back to Page Plus. With the recent flex card only announcement, no website to speak of and Selectel NOT willing to match the data allotment on the PagePlus $29.95 plan, I see no reason to stick it out !

Page 25 of 95 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 75 ... LastLast