Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Article: Are the new CRTC rules enough?

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Wait, am I mistaken about the $100 data roaming cap? When I first read that I interpreted it as what ever my PPU rate is $6/MB I think, and once I hit $100 I could keep going, but the most I'll pay is $100.

Is it actually $100 usage at which point you can't use it anymore?

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm expecting the on-contract prices of the devices to go up, but I think most carriers will do research into seeking the best price point for each device. For example, AT&T sells the HTC One for $199 on a 2-year contract, while Rogers sells it for $149 on a 3-year. The value of the extra year is about $140 based on my calculations, but I somehow doubt there will be as much of a market as there is now for high end smartphones if they are charging $300 for a device upfront on a 2-year contract as consumers may not be receptive to it. There are other considerations as well, such a relationships with suppliers (need to order a minimum amount to get prompt shipment) as well as inventory (storing unsold phones is a money losing proposition).

What I'm wondering is whether carriers, particularly Rogers, will use this as an opportunity to move subscribers away from grandfathered plans so as to squeeze more revenue from the increased subsidy required (ie you must move to an in-market/unfavourable plan if you want to perform an upgrade).

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xero9 View Post
    Wait, am I mistaken about the $100 data roaming cap? When I first read that I interpreted it as what ever my PPU rate is $6/MB I think, and once I hit $100 I could keep going, but the most I'll pay is $100.

Is it actually $100 usage at which point you can't use it anymore?
    It should be service is disabled until and unless you request the cap be removed.

Now, while other carriers have already introduced tiered caps for roaming, Rogers has said it isn't possible. So, if that was actually true, it would mean unlimited roaming. I think you will see Rogers very quickly discover a way to implement a realtime roaming cap.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Feedback Score
    Hallelujah!

But I won't trust any of this until I see it fully implemented. I want to know how they can sneak out of it.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This comes into affect in December 2013 (way too long as we'll see the smaller wireless outfits get bought out limiting our ability for cheaper & clearer pricing/billing).

ONLY affects new contracts - pure BULL and coercion going on for this one specific.

Device(s)
    Xperia S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I agree. I don't think this is enough, and it should be implemented as of July1 IMO. I feel like we are being given a crumb by the CRTC and are expected to love it. I promise you the carriers will find a way around this in spades and we will probably pay more in the end. I think the Euro model for wireless is far better and has more flexibility, and we are just trying to throw a bandaid on a completely broken system.
    Feedback-
    Thanks Howard!!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I don't think this is enough, and it should be implemented as of July1 IMO. I feel like we are being given a crumb by the CRTC and are expected to love it. I promise you the carriers will find a way around this in spades and we will probably pay more in the end. I think the Euro model for wireless is far better and has more flexibility, and we are just trying to throw a bandaid on a completely broken system.
    It's a good start and certainly better than no change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Supa_Fly View Post
    This comes into affect in December 2013 (way too long as we'll see the smaller wireless outfits get bought out limiting our ability for cheaper & clearer pricing/billing).

ONLY affects new contracts - pure BULL and coercion going on for this one specific.
    How do you figure this new legislation will make anything cheaper? It will only make it MORE EXPENSIVE for consumers. 30% less contract time per hardware = pay more for hardware or pay more per month. No Telco is going to take a hit for any of these new rules, they simply push the cost onto the consumers. More government regulation = more expensive products/services.

Also it can only affect new contracts as it would be unfair to the provider if they gave you a larger discount based on a longer term and then took the longer term away without expecting to pay more for the devices/per month.

Feedback Score
    There are those that will NEVER think it is enough because they see cell-phone service as a social-right and view any profit as pure evil, which several comments already confirm.

As already stated, it MAY save SOME consumers money depending on their specific choices and allows for easy movement between carriers and less restrictive obligations related to device subsidy, which provides a very modest improvement to competitiveness in the market. It protects those that need such limits from accumulating massive data/roaming charges whether due to ineptitude, ignorance or accident.

The end result will not be lower subscription costs.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    It should be service is disabled until and unless you request the cap be removed.

Now, while other carriers have already introduced tiered caps for roaming, Rogers has said it isn't possible. So, if that was actually true, it would mean unlimited roaming. I think you will see Rogers very quickly discover a way to implement a realtime roaming cap.
    Damn, I guess I was being hopefully. Thought it might be like the cap on Roger's home internet.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    APPLE MIGHT LOSE A LOT OF CANADIAN SALES THIS YEAR WHEN THE IPHONE 5s or 6 is launched in the next 2 month UNLESS they able force all Canadian wireless providers to start offering all iphones on 2Y agreement when the new iphone is released instead of waiting until December 2, 2013. Hello 16GB iphone 5s for 2Y/$280, Hello 32GB iphone 5s for 2Y/$380 and Hello 64GB iphone 5s for 2Y/$480!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarken555 View Post
    The CRTC has announce new rules to take effect later this year. Is it a good first step?
    I've been thinking about it. While filled with good intentions, the CRTC rules won't change much. Let's look at each point:

• terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term

Carriers have already done away with cancellation fees. If you want to leave before your contract is up you pay off the remainder of your device subsidy. Subsidies are not the same as cancellation fees. No change here.

• cap extra data charges at $50/month and international data roaming charges at $100/month to prevent bill shock

This is good but as I said before carriers could get clever and make it so all data plans are 'flex' dataplans. Right now flex data plan usually top out at around $100 after which point you're subject to overage. They could add 100 tiers of flexing if they wanted. Not much changing here.

• have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full

Carriers already offer unlocking. Though some may make you wait longer than 90 days. I do like this clause though. I haven't read the full rules through but there's nothing in this point saying they have to sell you a phone at full price without paying for service.

• return their cellphones, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service

AFAIK Carriers already offer returns though this may be more generous that what's currently available.

• accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract (i.e., 2-year), and receive a contract that is easy to read and understand.

Would be nice if it were easier to get out if they make changes. Again, you'd still have to pay off your balance if you leave. Being able to get out of your contract is no longer the point - now it's about the device balance.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    I've been thinking about it. While filled with good intentions, the CRTC rules won't change much. Let's look at each point:

• terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term

Carriers have already done away with cancellation fees. If you want to leave before your contract is up you pay off the remainder of your device subsidy. Subsidies are not the same as cancellation fees. No change here.
    Carriers just renamed the cancelation fee to a tab. The regulation applies to tabs so this is a significant change. After 2 years, your tab/cancelation fee is $0.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With respect to the caps on roaming charges: it's about time. That's all I can say. It was clear carriers couldn't regulate themselves, so now the CRTC will do it for them. Nothing to do with laziness on the part of customers; it has to do with plain old common sense.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5S 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    This is all ********, here's why:

1) "Terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term."
    - They won't charge you a cancellation fee but I'm sure they'll charge a "make up for the subsidized phone" fee. 3 year contracts will continue to exist.

2)"Have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full."
    - Most companies already do this for a fee of $50 and they will continue to charge a fee. They should have instead made a ruling that makes locking of phones illegal altogether.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast