Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Saskatchewan: It's time for an upgrade. Seriously.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wow, after all these years, Rogers has FINALLY brought 3G to rural Saskatchewan, they still have to upgrade the eastern side of the province, but this is a start.

As for LTE frequencies, coverage-wise each tower radius seems to be near identical to the ones in Manitoba. The rural ones in Manitoba are usually a mixture of AWS and 850mhz frequencies. The 850mhz LTE (Band 5) doesn't penetrate that far and the data speeds are near identical to HSPA.
    Man gets hit by Brick Phone! Ouch!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's definitely a step in the right direction. I was hoping that they would just shut down their 2G network and allowing extended roaming. But this is better.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    I don't think Rogers is permitted to offer extended roaming on SaskTel's network within its coverage footprint. But you're right, this is better. SaskTel's network is oversubscribed in some areas so this creates actual new capacity.

Just to clarify, Moose Jaw is still 2G GPRS/EDGE (in extreme eastern Moose Jaw, weak HSPA might be receivable but it will be marginal). I imagine it's just a matter of time before the entire Saskatchewan network footprint is upgraded now.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's weird that there was no announcement on this. I happened to stumble upon it while driving through last month. Of course the Rogers reps on twitter had no idea. I'm betting that the western half of the province will be upgraded soon.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P (Running Chroma / Rooted), Note 3 (Running Stock / Rooted)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    @Hans_Moleman
    Is it confirmed that they're running Band 5 LTE?
    I think in Saskatchewan they're using the same towers, with Band 5 for HSPA+ and either 1700/2100 LTE or 700 LTE. Because their HSPA coverage mirrors their 2G coverage pretty well.
    (From what I've experienced I get better signal with 850 HSPA than 700 LTE. I'm not sure if it's because their different technologies or what.).

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robellustron View Post
    @Hans_Moleman
    Is it confirmed that they're running Band 5 LTE?
    I think in Saskatchewan they're using the same towers, with Band 5 for HSPA+ and either 1700/2100 LTE or 700 LTE. Because their HSPA coverage mirrors their 2G coverage pretty well.
    (From what I've experienced I get better signal with 850 HSPA than 700 LTE. I'm not sure if it's because their different technologies or what.).
    That's just my guestimation, every rural Manitoban LTE tower I've tried out so far has AWS within the town itself..which doesn't cover much area at all, followed by Band 5 as soon as I leave town for about 10-15km. They're not being run at full power so the coverage looks more comparable to 1900mhz. I haven't seen any 700mhz LTE in Manitoba yet, but when I tested it out in Montreal, it was worse than 3G speeds

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P (Running Chroma / Rooted), Note 3 (Running Stock / Rooted)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Do you know why they don't turn the lower band frequencies as high? Or atleast as high as they had them running on HSPA+? Is it for interference reasons or regulation reasons? Or are they simply testing it and will turn it higher as need be? I don't think they're taking full advantage of the lower bands. I traveled across the east coast where Bellus has full LTE coverage due to 700 deployment, but I there were parts where Band 5 was used more. I guess further optimizations await us on both networks in the future.

That speed test is pretty bad. Though from what I've read, Rogers is putting to use Band 17 with CA with Band 4. To get 15MHz.
    So perhaps that's why that band is a bit more congested compared to the Bellus Band 17 deployments.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm not too sure, but it could be a variety of reasons like AWS doesn't penetrate that well so a tuned down 850mhz will help reach within the AWS zone. I've seen a few 1900mhz LTE towers in Manitoba, but I think Rogers is looking to deploy AWS/850 to all their towers and then turn on 700mhz to fill in the rest, especially in the middle of nowhere. AT&T LTE was popping up on my iPhone last night - the closest AT&T tower is about 60km south of where I was, so if Rogers can manage to not screw up 700mhz LTE expansion, it could get decent for coverage. The unfortunate part about LTE introduction in rural Manitoba I've found is that the 3G service takes a hit - each tower covers less geographical area than before, the speeds go down a bit, but if you can manage to pick up LTE, it makes up for it.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Saskatchewan: It's time for an upgrade. Seriously.

Wow, 60km away and you're picking up a signal? That's crazy. I didn't think cell signals could propagate that distance, even on band 17.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    Wow, 60km away and you're picking up a signal? That's crazy. I didn't think cell signals could propagate that distance, even on band 17.

via the HoFo App
    It's incredibly freaking flat at the family farm so on an incredibly hot night like last night the signals are able to extend further than usual. I was able to pick up a rediculous amount of networks on my iPad (on Bell). Unfortunately I have 0 luck getting my iPhone to force connect to SaskTel's EXT network to try it out.

Device(s)
    8 GB iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just wanted to pipe in that I just drove from Regina to Medicine Hat on #1.. all LTE. I then drove back to Regina, then up to Saskatoon on Highway 11. LTE the entire way.. with a minor blip around Craik.

I could not believe it. After so many years of crappy service.. they now have spectacular LTE service in Saskatchewan.
    Mike
    Rogers Wireless
    $75/m - Share Everything Plan - 10 GB Data (used by tablets on my account)
    $5/m Value Pack
    Unlimited data for my primary line.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That is great to hear. I first noticed that the MB border to Regina section was done in July. The rest of the way was still on 2G. Makes those boring trips to Calgary that much more manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    LTE is now in most of Rogers' Sask footprint and it looks like 850mhz LTE is the norm as the LTE coverage area matches 2G/3G

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Indeed. It looks like only the Prince Albert and Christopher Lake cellsites aren't LTE, and they're still HSPA+.

LTE Edmonton or Calgary to Winnipeg. I have to take my hat off to Rogers on this one. Now add a few cellsites to minimize the SaskTel roaming (and the coverage-edge problems) and I'll really be happy.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Indeed. It looks like only the Prince Albert and Christopher Lake cellsites aren't LTE, and they're still HSPA+.

LTE Edmonton or Calgary to Winnipeg. I have to take my hat off to Rogers on this one. Now add a few cellsites to minimize the SaskTel roaming (and the coverage-edge problems) and I'll really be happy.
    I'm very happy about this. Makes the trip from Winnipeg to Calgary much more manageable. Especially as a passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast