Thread: Prepaid hotspot?

Feedback Score

Prepaid hotspot?

Hello,

Once my contract with AT&T is up, I am considering switching to the $30 T-Mobile "Walmart" plan. I live in Pittsburgh where coverage doesn't seem to be an issue. However I frequently visit family near Allentown, PA and also in Cumberland, MD. The coverage map says that data in these two areas are 2G.

My question: Is there a prepaid hotspot I can get that will work in these two areas? I have access to wifi in Allentown, so I am mostly worried about Cumberland (no wifi). The area I visit seems to be covered only by AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Have you checked the coverage map for Walmart's "Internet on the Go" service? I believe they use Sprint's 3g data service. I'm in California and the coverage is okay for the areas I travel.

Device(s)
    Nokia 2610, 6030b, 2118, 2280, 3555b, 6215i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA; AT&T Mobility USA; Vodafone NZ; 2degrees NZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bap the Baker View Post
    Once my contract with AT&T is up, I am considering switching to the $30 T-Mobile "Walmart" plan. I live in Pittsburgh where coverage doesn't seem to be an issue. However I frequently visit family near Allentown, PA and also in Cumberland, MD. The coverage map says that data in these two areas are 2G.

My question: Is there a prepaid hotspot I can get that will work in these two areas? I have access to wifi in Allentown, so I am mostly worried about Cumberland (no wifi). The area I visit seems to be covered only by AT&T.
    How far out from Allentown itself are you? Most of the Allentown-Kutztown-Emmaus-Bethlehem area appears to be in the 3G area. Curious, is all; don't want to know the exact place.

Cumberland sucks, though, I see. But as for prepaid hotspot, how fast are you needing, anyway? I see the Walmart on the Go zombie_h mentioned does not mention much about speed on its coverage map. The Virgin-provided map for its service (I assume looking at the map style that both use Sprint) appears to put Cumberland in some sub-3G area. (Incidentally, walmart.com says 'This phone will not work in the 21502 Zip Code' when I go to http://www.walmart.com/ip/Internet-o...ot-3G/20665535 anyway.) As for other options, Verizon Wireless appears to be 1X or roaming, fwiw. Yeah, looks like https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Comm...tePlans.action might be the best thing (not counting MVNOs, mind) if you need 3G.

Good luck!

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles He wants the $30 T-Mobile "Walmart" plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bap the Baker View Post
    I am considering switching to the $30 T-Mobile "Walmart" plan.
    He wants the $30 T-Mobile "Walmart" plan. Not Sprint, Not Verizon.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Good point. I assumed Bap was asking also about other service, assuming 3G was preferred and 2G was to be avoided. Either way, Cumberland isn't easily going to get Bap 3G with T-Mobile, hotspot, smartphone or phone. Definitely an overall good plan though.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Come to think of it, assuming that's also what Bap is thinking, has anyone managed to use the $30 plan in a laptop, stick or hotspot? I just realised that beats the $35 for 3 GB I get with Verizon EV-DO in my laptop, which also takes USIMs, as it happens, and may already iirc have AWS...

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ngerukai View Post
    How far out from Allentown itself are you? Most of the Allentown-Kutztown-Emmaus-Bethlehem area appears to be in the 3G area. Curious, is all; don't want to know the exact place.
    If you enter 18092 into the coverage map, I'm in the coverage hole right under Emmaus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ngerukai View Post
    Good point. I assumed Bap was asking also about other service, assuming 3G was preferred and 2G was to be avoided. Either way, Cumberland isn't easily going to get Bap 3G with T-Mobile, hotspot, smartphone or phone. Definitely an overall good plan though.
    Yes, I want to supplement the T-Mobile plan with something that will get me better data speeds when visiting those more rural areas, but I don't want to pay for something monthly. Internet on the Go would be perfect, but there is no Sprint coverage in Cumberland (at least not where I would be, anyway).

I think I may just pick up an AT&T Nexus 7 and pay for a month of data when I need it. I just don't want to be out of touch when visiting my mom.

Device(s)
    LG Optimus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ...I am also in the market for a wifi hotspot, and have been looking at the StraightTalk/Walmart offering I do NOT want a contract...Just something I can use when visiting my mother in Mesa AZ, who has no Internet (threw out the equipment after Dad passed...She really DID "Break the Internet !") and when visiting friends with service issues in Tucson AZ. their service map says it works in the AZ zip codes...and also here in Iowa where I live.
    ...Any thoughts ? Experiences ? Alternatives ?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I would just use your current phone as a WiFi hotspot and pick up a Black Wireless or discounted H2O SIM on eBay. Just use them as throw-aways after the month you need it. AT&T official mobile broadband only is available only from AT&T as far as I know.
    I don't feel like a thread-killer...

Feedback Score
    Just read on GPlus that Tmo will be offer pay as you go data. $5/500MB/day. $10/1GB used over 7 days.

Here it is

http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobi...arts-next-week

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    How much data would you want to use? Freedom pop is also decent if you play the game right. 500mb/mo for free if you're in a 4G WiMax area. $3.99/mo for 3G. Let me know if you need a referral; I think the device is $20

Device(s)
    LG Optimus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirt View Post
    I would just use your current phone as a WiFi hotspot and pick up a Black Wireless or discounted H2O SIM on eBay. Just use them as throw-aways after the month you need it. AT&T official mobile broadband only is available only from AT&T as far as I know.
    ...From what I understand my Tracfone has NO tethering ability. In fact they might/will ? cancel your service should you try to make that happen. Thus I need something else if I want connectivity during my travels.

Feedback Score
    I've used internt-on-the-go for close to two years now. Depending on how much data you use, and if you get decent 3g sprint speeds, it could be very economical. For example $10 for 500mb lasts me about 4-5 months. i just use it for occasionally checking email when not around my main connection at home. they are supposedly getting sprint 4g lte this year, but so far no word on that yet.

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If there's good AT&T coverage... the 1.5GB isn't too bad...

250MB - $15/week
    1.5GB - $25/month
    5GB - $50/month

http://www.att.com/att/gophone-mobil...id=-pL0kwmK9vb
    MOBILE HISTORY:
    TM
    * 16: Moto X Pure 64GB Black
    TM, Telcel, ATT
    * 15: Note 3, ZE600, 2720
    * 14: Galaxy Avant, Z600
    Sprint/ATT
    * 12: GS3, 2720